Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021 until further notice.
Previous discussion: COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

A reduced service has resumed in all cabins, including steel cutlery, glassware and chinaware in premium cabins. Choice may be limited in some cabins and on some routes. Some elements may be delivered covered for safety. All meals apart from First are served on single trays. Portion sizes, particularly in Club World, have been significantly reduced compared to pre-Covid.

On BA CityFlyer full service has resumed, with the exception of hot towels and warmed bread in Club Europe. See dedicated wiki thread for full details.

Details of the current service are available on BA.com

Changes from pre-COVID service:

Euro Traveller
  • Buy-on-board M&S menu replaced with pre-order Tom Kerridge menu
  • Complimentary bottle of water and packaged ambient snack offered to all passengers
Club Europe
  • Band 1 now receives the same service as Express (light breakfast > brunch > lunch > afternoon tea > dinner)
  • Band 2 now receives the same service as Bands 3 and 4 (breakfast > rest of the day)
  • Band 3 should still have a drinks run before serving lunch and dinner
  • No hot towels
  • No menus on Band 3 / Band 4 services
  • Dessert served in ceramic dish rather than plastic pot
  • No starter for Express / Band 1 lunch and dinner services
  • No cheese for Band 3 / Band 4 rest of the day services
  • One fewer sandwich for afternoon tea services
  • One type of (warm) bread roll available, wrapped in sealed plastic, served from a basket
World Traveller
  • No roll/butter served with main meal, cheese and crackers also not provided
  • Inflight snack (previously took the form of a Magnum ice cream) and tuck box suspended - replaced with Walkers shortbread o/r from galley.
World Traveller Plus
  • TBC
Club World
  • No hot towels
  • Meals served on one tray at the same time
  • No choice of starter or dessert
  • Portion sizes have been substantially reduced. Starters, cheese and dessert are all served in mini ramekins
First
  • No hot towels
Print Wikipost

Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Genius1
No, the croissants are warmed in the oven separately and offered from a basket, as with bread rolls during lunch / dinner services, and scones during afternoon tea services.
No space and no bread plate means swimming croissant. BA Tetris is a game I always play when eating in Club Europe as well.
bafan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
No space and no bread plate means swimming croissant. BA Tetris is a game I always play when eating in Club Europe as well.
Take off the serviette / cutlery roll, shift the main plate all the way to the left and pop the croissant on the tray liner (making sure not to touch the actual tray).
Old Jan 15, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Confus
Not all crew realise the KSMLs need to be cooked 50% (ish) longer than the regular ones. While this really shouldn’t be required, I’d be tempted to remind them quietly if I’d ordered one.
i thought the meals were all cooked on the ground and then just reheated onboard? So I’m surprised to see raw chicken on that meal, more likely a mistake in the preparation than the onboard heating? Or are the KSMLs different?
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by volar
i thought the meals were all cooked on the ground and then just reheated onboard? So I’m surprised to see raw chicken on that meal, more likely a mistake in the preparation than the onboard heating? Or are the KSMLs different?
KSMLs do have a longer heating time as they’re generally more substantial than standard meals and are sometimes not entirely deforested when supplied. Generally meals are indeed relheated not cooked on board and no meat or fish should be raw. The KSML does usually need a longer heating time than other meals, and unfortunately there is no provision for breaking the seal to temperature probe the meal so on this case I’d put the blame on Hermolis and not the cabin crew.
volar likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
The paired back F menus continue on BA11 to SIN. To be fair, I enjoyed the chicken tikka masala, but it wouldn't typically have been my first choice.

Also, is the shift to dinner and lunch (rather than breakfast) a COVID-related change on these long Asian overnighters, or a new catering policy? There were a number of grumbles across the cabin at the thought of waking up to a plate of roast chicken, not convincingly addressed, to my mind, by the observation that it was 2pm local time. As it was, I didn't see a single passenger take up the offer of the secomd meal.

Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Have they produced tonnes of chicken tikka? Seems to feature on rather a lot of flights
bafan likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by xenole
Have they produced tonnes of chicken tikka? Seems to feature on rather a lot of flights
It’s the same menu for all flights ex-LHR isn’t it - barring a few variations on specific routes (eg an Asian main on routes to the far east)?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
The paired back F menus continue on BA11 to SIN. To be fair, I enjoyed the chicken tikka masala, but it wouldn't typically have been my first choice.

Also, is the shift to dinner and lunch (rather than breakfast) a COVID-related change on these long Asian overnighters, or a new catering policy? There were a number of grumbles across the cabin at the thought of waking up to a plate of roast chicken, not convincingly addressed, to my mind, by the observation that it was 2pm local time. As it was, I didn't see a single passenger take up the offer of the secomd meal.

Re the second meal, that’s mad to not serve breakfast - why have they done that I wonder? Usually breakfast is cheaper to cater too so this is a very uncharacteristic move by BA
Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
Lindt themselves refer to them as truffles.
And BA describe Club World as luxurious and premium cabin sales as the luxury sale!
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:15 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, BA Gold
I've escalated the matter to BA and dropped Hermolis an e-mail with the image, will report back if I hear anything. The crew did say at the time they had followed the correct protocol for preparation and service so may well be an issue with the supplier.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy

Could you have chosen the chicken light meal as the first meal instead?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Agent69
Could you have chosen the chicken light meal as the first meal instead?
Yes.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC
I’ve always thought it made more sense to have a meal reflecting the time of day on arrival. I may have just woken up, but I don’t really want breakfast at 2pm.
NickB, orbitmic and krispy84 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by bafan
I’ve always thought it made more sense to have a meal reflecting the time of day on arrival. I may have just woken up, but I don’t really want breakfast at 2pm.
Your body won’t be at 2pm Singapore time yet, granted it will hopefully have moved on from 6am UK time if you have slept, let’s go midway and say it’s 10am
to your body. Would you eat a garlicky Aubergine Parmigiana at 10am?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
The Tikka Masala is pretty good whichever cabin you're in (not sure what the nuances are between the cabins) - it's clearly difficult to mess-up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.