Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021 until further notice.
Previous discussion: COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

A reduced service has resumed in all cabins, including steel cutlery, glassware and chinaware in premium cabins. Choice may be limited in some cabins and on some routes. Some elements may be delivered covered for safety. All meals apart from First are served on single trays. Portion sizes, particularly in Club World, have been significantly reduced compared to pre-Covid.

On BA CityFlyer full service has resumed, with the exception of hot towels and warmed bread in Club Europe. See dedicated wiki thread for full details.

Details of the current service are available on BA.com

Changes from pre-COVID service:

Euro Traveller
  • Buy-on-board M&S menu replaced with pre-order Tom Kerridge menu
  • Complimentary bottle of water and packaged ambient snack offered to all passengers
Club Europe
  • Band 1 now receives the same service as Express (light breakfast > brunch > lunch > afternoon tea > dinner)
  • Band 2 now receives the same service as Bands 3 and 4 (breakfast > rest of the day)
  • Band 3 should still have a drinks run before serving lunch and dinner
  • No hot towels
  • No menus on Band 3 / Band 4 services
  • Dessert served in ceramic dish rather than plastic pot
  • No starter for Express / Band 1 lunch and dinner services
  • No cheese for Band 3 / Band 4 rest of the day services
  • One fewer sandwich for afternoon tea services
  • One type of (warm) bread roll available, wrapped in sealed plastic, served from a basket
World Traveller
  • No roll/butter served with main meal, cheese and crackers also not provided
  • Inflight snack (previously took the form of a Magnum ice cream) and tuck box suspended - replaced with Walkers shortbread o/r from galley.
World Traveller Plus
  • TBC
Club World
  • No hot towels
  • Meals served on one tray at the same time
  • No choice of starter or dessert
  • Portion sizes have been substantially reduced. Starters, cheese and dessert are all served in mini ramekins
First
  • No hot towels
Print Wikipost

Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2022, 4:53 pm

Here we go again... it's the "food applicable to the time of day" debate again. But time of day of whom?

rb211.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Your body won’t be at 2pm Singapore time yet, granted it will hopefully have moved on from 6am UK time if you have slept, let’s go midway and say it’s 10am
to your body. Would you eat a garlicky Aubergine Parmigiana at 10am?
Well personally, I wouldn’t mind it. But I’m sure they could come up with some middle-of-the-road dishes…
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by bafan
Well personally, I wouldn’t mind it. But I’m sure they could come up with some middle-of-the-road dishes…
Indeed. Or even breakfast/brunch choices and lunch choice.

That would be require more extensive menu options however in premium classes.

I'm more interested though why BA has made this change now? Serving breakfast before landing on these far east flights has been the norm for 30+ years!
bafan likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by SW7London
I'm more interested though why BA has made this change now? Serving breakfast before landing on these far east flights has been the norm for 30+ years!
That was my point, it’s hardly like BA is midway through a strategic review of its catering is it. Seems very random.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:37 am

Will the BA F menu on BA11 be the same as the end of the month? Not terribly impressive - I certainly would want an Indian meal in F (I love that it’s the British choice on the mains) and I can’t imagine that stir fry will be like anything we will get in Singapore or even our local Chinese takeaway!

The snacks are an insult - I think I’ll have to self cater from the CCR!

crazyanglaisy - will you be returning on the BA12 - I would appreciate seeing the menu for that too. Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:30 pm

I received BA12 first menu for this week.

quitecontrary and Genius1 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:36 pm

Genius1 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Armadilleau

BA312 to AMM, raw chicken sushi served as part of a Hermolis Kosher meal. Removed immediately by a very apologetic Cabin Manager. It appears this meal came straight from farm to fork without the traditional stopover in the oven.
The BA response to my complaint about raw food was..."I'm very disappointed to hear that the food was inedible. We don’t underestimate how important food and drink are to your enjoyment of the flight. We refresh our food and drink menus in Club Europe cabins every two weeks and use feedback like yours to guide us as we do. This incident wasn't a representation of our usual service, therefore, I've passed on your complaint to our Catering team to investigate this further"

No gesture, no compensation, no refund of any kind. Just a bland statement of acknowledgement of my "feedback". Is it worth escalating this and trying again? Or is this the new normal with catering complaints -its pretty much a cut and paste from a response I had a few months ago about the vile COVID secure beetroot sandwiches. Sorry your food was raw, guess we'll try and cook it properly next time, good luck!
Old Jan 19, 2022, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
The BA response to my complaint about raw food was..."I'm very disappointed to hear that the food was inedible. We don’t underestimate how important food and drink are to your enjoyment of the flight. We refresh our food and drink menus in Club Europe cabins every two weeks and use feedback like yours to guide us as we do. This incident wasn't a representation of our usual service, therefore, I've passed on your complaint to our Catering team to investigate this further"

No gesture, no compensation, no refund of any kind. Just a bland statement of acknowledgement of my "feedback". Is it worth escalating this and trying again? Or is this the new normal with catering complaints -its pretty much a cut and paste from a response I had a few months ago about the vile COVID secure beetroot sandwiches. Sorry your food was raw, guess we'll try and cook it properly next time, good luck!
Forgive me but W T F Given 4K is awarded for not having sandwiches in a lounge.

Cast iron proof that the company rates on board food as having zero importance. Honestly just fly someone else if this matters.
Armadilleau likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:03 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, BA Gold
The basic issue of cooking aside the food on board isn't actually often that important to me as I do prefer to eat in the lounge/airport. Its the response and lack of interest/caring that really triggered me.

I have voted with my wallet as far as I can which is sad as I have enjoyed traveling with BA over the years but my tolerance does have its limits.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold

So I had a recent in flight issue that got a poor response from customer relations. I decided to hit the big red button and send a strong but well worded to the well known CEO of British Airways. Whilst he will not reply, it will get passed onto an executive team. In my case, we had an email back within 8 hours and Ł100 voucher per passenger. This is not to be used for every complaint and use it wisely, but in your case, I would say why not! If you want the email address, message me
Armadilleau likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:06 am

The basic issue of cooking aside the food on board isn't actually often that important to me as I do prefer to eat in the lounge/airport. Its the response and lack of interest/caring that really triggered me.

I have voted with my wallet as far as I can which is sad as I have enjoyed traveling with BA over the years but my tolerance does have its limits.
Triggering is the word.

For once, this isn’t a question of too few staff, training or lack of budget. This is BA doubling down and saying that it’s entirely acceptable to serve raw food. Staggering.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is BA doubling down and saying that it’s entirely acceptable to serve raw food. Staggering.
Unless I need to invest in a new pair of glasses, it seems to me that the response from CR does not say that at all. One could certainly argue that the response is insufficient but I do not think that it can reasonably be said that BA have said that.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Unless I need to invest in a new pair of glasses, it seems to me that the response from CR does not say that at all. One could certainly argue that the response is insufficient but I do not think that it can reasonably be said that BA have said that.
Personally, I am looking deeper than the platitudes, which cost nothing.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally, I am looking deeper than the platitudes, which cost nothing.
I would most certainly agree on that (as I suspect most people) but it is simply and demonstrably not the case that BA have said that it is entirely acceptable to serve raw food and I personally do not think that an argument is strengthened by putting forward inaccurate statements to support it..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.