Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021 until further notice.
Previous discussion: COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

A reduced service has resumed in all cabins, including steel cutlery, glassware and chinaware in premium cabins. Choice may be limited in some cabins and on some routes. Some elements may be delivered covered for safety. All meals apart from First are served on single trays. Portion sizes, particularly in Club World, have been significantly reduced compared to pre-Covid.

On BA CityFlyer full service has resumed, with the exception of hot towels and warmed bread in Club Europe. See dedicated wiki thread for full details.

Details of the current service are available on BA.com

Changes from pre-COVID service:

Euro Traveller
  • Buy-on-board M&S menu replaced with pre-order Tom Kerridge menu
  • Complimentary bottle of water and packaged ambient snack offered to all passengers
Club Europe
  • Band 1 now receives the same service as Express (light breakfast > brunch > lunch > afternoon tea > dinner)
  • Band 2 now receives the same service as Bands 3 and 4 (breakfast > rest of the day)
  • Band 3 should still have a drinks run before serving lunch and dinner
  • No hot towels
  • No menus on Band 3 / Band 4 services
  • Dessert served in ceramic dish rather than plastic pot
  • No starter for Express / Band 1 lunch and dinner services
  • No cheese for Band 3 / Band 4 rest of the day services
  • One fewer sandwich for afternoon tea services
  • One type of (warm) bread roll available, wrapped in sealed plastic, served from a basket
World Traveller
  • No roll/butter served with main meal, cheese and crackers also not provided
  • Inflight snack (previously took the form of a Magnum ice cream) and tuck box suspended - replaced with Walkers shortbread o/r from galley.
World Traveller Plus
  • TBC
Club World
  • No hot towels
  • Meals served on one tray at the same time
  • No choice of starter or dessert
  • Portion sizes have been substantially reduced. Starters, cheese and dessert are all served in mini ramekins
First
  • No hot towels
Print Wikipost

Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by S_W_S
That looks like a pre ordered Vegan meal rather than the onboard vegetarian option, vegetable spread instead of cream etc.
I did wonder that but it was offered throughout the cabin. The ‘healthy’ pudding made me suspicious that it was also doubling as a low cal meal. It didn’t have any stickers on it to say pre-ordered and I hadn’t pre-ordered!

aks120
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by aks120
I did wonder that but it was offered throughout the cabin. The ‘healthy’ pudding made me suspicious that it was also doubling as a low cal meal. It didn’t have any stickers on it to say pre-ordered and I hadn’t pre-ordered!

aks120
How strange! Whenever I've taken the vegetarian sandwiches onboard the rest of it has been identical.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:32 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Vegetarian Afternoon Tea option on Glasgow flight. Avoid this like the plague - never seen cucumber cut so thinly and on such a dry piece of bread. Plus hummus should never be a sandwich spread

I also questioned where the scone was - that is it I was told….. no I think that is a bread roll. Nope you have jam so it will be the scone - can’t argue with logic like that!

aks120

Is this a new low for the dreaded “Afternoon Tea”? One and a half fingers? Seriously?

BA needs to wake up, this level of catering is just unacceptable.
NoY, MaxFlyer, aks120 and 11 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:56 pm

I was asked to take one fo the post-flight surveys. I let them know what I thought of the "catering." Not sure it will do any good, but one can hope.

rb211.
bafan and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Vegetarian Afternoon Tea option on Glasgow flight. Avoid this like the plague - never seen cucumber cut so thinly and on such a dry piece of bread. Plus hummus should never be a sandwich spread

I also questioned where the scone was - that is it I was told….. no I think that is a bread roll. Nope you have jam so it will be the scone - can’t argue with logic like that!
That open face cucumber sandwich looks like one of the three sandwiches you used to get before the downgrade - there was always an open something with some nice presentation.

Unbelievable regarding the scone. That is awful, I would have been really annoyed by the response, especially as it's abundantly clear it's not a scone. I would have pushed on that - maybe they heated the wrong things in the galley. Poor show all round.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It is a bread roll from the well known Magritte bakery.

Actually a surrealist catering company doing CE food would probably be more appealing than what we are getting atm. At least you could be intrigued by what is served.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:10 am

Didn't know where best to post this however the current aim to return service to normal is March for short haul and from May for long haul. This is to be phased in over time. Apparently, the largest issue currently is crewing levels which is what's pushed this forecast back somewhat.
Additionally, LOS/ABV should shortly return to locally catered routes (they're currently return catered ex-LHR) so the proposition on these may change in the coming weeks/months.
All subject to change I guess.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MFCC
Didn't know where best to post this however the current aim to return service to normal is March for short haul and from May for long haul. This is to be phased in over time. Apparently, the largest issue currently is crewing levels which is what's pushed this forecast back somewhat.
Additionally, LOS/ABV should shortly return to locally catered routes (they're currently return catered ex-LHR) so the proposition on these may change in the coming weeks/months.
Return to normal, but what is normal? We must have all forgotten what this is! Maybe they will introduce a new normal!

Introducing our new Club Europe catering: We know you are looking after yourself this year, and we want to help you with that with our new healthy gourmet catering. On flights up to 2 hours, expect to receive delights such as a 1/8th slice of bread lovingly prepared with a slither of chicken and to finish, a single smartie. We apologise if your choice of smartie colour is not available.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I just really hope normal doesn’t mean the return of the ghastly afternoon tea to band 2 and we keep the hot meal!!! And the water and crisps in Y…
gustavmahler and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
May, in like 4 months?! Do you know if it is starting in May (for long haul) or will be completed by May? Feels like BoJo announcing in January last year that freedom day would be in July.

True to form, it's a case of plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, where BA spending a single penny is concerned. Cost reductions implemented with stunning agility of course! Thank god I don't have any flights booked with them.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:10 am

Just relaying what I've heard.
I'd imagine by 'normal' they mean full-size trays with all the 'accessories' & Magnums in WT; choices of starters/desserts in CW; soups etc in CW/F. They've previously stated water & crisps are here to stay in ET.
I'd imagine the LH rollout would begin in May and conclude by the end of the year. I appreciate penny pinching springs to mind (and agree it may be much of the motivation), however, we really are undercrewed and we simply can't deliver the pre-covid service with current crewing levels without it taking hours. All long haul crew complements (except B788) are planned at -1, and on the day may fall to -2 or -3 with crew sickness/isolation etc.
New entrant courses begin next month so we may see an improvement from then.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Just relaying what I've heard.
I'd imagine by 'normal' they mean full-size trays with all the 'accessories' & Magnums in WT; choices of starters/desserts in CW; soups etc in CW/F. They've previously stated water & crisps are here to stay in ET.
I'd imagine the LH rollout would begin in May and conclude by the end of the year. I appreciate penny pinching springs to mind (and agree it may be much of the motivation), however, we really are undercrewed and we simply can't deliver the pre-covid service with current crewing levels without it taking hours. All long haul crew complements (except B788) are planned at -1, and on the day may fall to -2 or -3 with crew sickness/isolation etc.
New entrant courses begin next month so we may see an improvement from then.
Sure, sorry didn't mean to shoot the messenger!

Perhaps time to take back some of the CC who left before?!
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Sure, sorry didn't mean to shoot the messenger!

Perhaps time to take back some of the CC who left before?!
They've all been offered their jobs back if they want them - unsurprisingly many do not!!
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:22 am

They've all been offered their jobs back if they want them - unsurprisingly many do not!!
Presumably feeling full to the brim of schadenfreude! Perhaps time for BA to shoo the moths off its wallet and up the package? I know VS is also on a recruitment drive.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
It is a bread roll from the well known Magritte bakery.

Actually a surrealist catering company doing CE food would probably be more appealing than what we are getting atm. At least you could be intrigued by what is served.
does anyone know whether BA geeks monitor this thread and website?! Surely they do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.