Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding, tricky one

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Originally Posted by Howard Long
No worries!
OP just to reiterate what others have mentioned. If staff had sorted things faster (if I understand the FTV) you could have cancelled for a voucher. This is a good point if you make a complaint.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
OP just to reiterate what others have mentioned. If staff had sorted things faster (if I understand the FTV) you could have cancelled for a voucher. This is a good point if you make a complaint.
The OP could have thrown the towel in earlier - trying to blame the staff for trying to help seems particularly poor
SKT-DK, bafan and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Jed
Any airline that bans a customer for putting in a single complaint arising from an issue such as this risks facing a PR disaster.
Irrelevant. Airlines can create PR disasters even they are doing the right thing.

Originally Posted by Jed
Plenty of people complain about care in hospitals. Some are legitimate, others ridiculous. However, none are banned.
Hospitals are very different from airlines.

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
There is a MASSIVE difference between a lifetime ban and deciding that a customer is beyond helping. If a customer gets a complaint wrong, by ranting and by convincing the CSR that they will "never fly with the airline again" then the CSR may see the customer as being beyond the point of placation. So it is important as a customer to not overplay your hand. But that isn't what the OP is doing, nor is it a ban. If you banned every customer who makes a complaint you would end up with very few customers remaining.
If you review the posts again, you should be able to see OP talked tough, insisting that he/she was incorrectly IDBed. And OP intended to file a complaint because of that.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by garykung
If you review the posts again, you should be able to see OP talked tough, insisting that he/she was incorrectly IDBed. And OP intended to file a complaint because of that.
Did I miss the post where the OP 'talked tough'? He said he was going to file a complaint, which seems fair enough.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The OP could have thrown the towel in earlier - trying to blame the staff for trying to help seems particularly poor
Well it's an awkward one, since the QR staff would likely not have known that cancelling the ticket with BA immediately for an FTV was actually the best option. So they did not do the best thing for the OP at the time, while they may have intended to.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 4:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
Well it's an awkward one, since the QR staff would likely not have known that cancelling the ticket with BA immediately for an FTV was actually the best option. So they did not do the best thing for the OP at the time, while they may have intended to.
They worked towards getting that which the OP asked for; it isn't up to them to know whether the OP was asking for something that was best for the OP

This may be annoying for the OP, but I cannot see any reason to try and blame the staff for what he tried to do
bafan and Anonba like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:21 am

I think there's a slight irony in that the OP seems to have been extremely polite to everyone at QR, and perhaps this is why they spent 90 minutes doing everything to get him onto the flight. It's conjecture, but if the OP had been rude or unpleasant I imagine they would have sent him away swiftly, which would have meant him having enough time to cancel and claim an FTV.

Could the OP's politeness have cost him the FTV? You may say it's super unlucky for the OP.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
If this was me OP, I would've immediately gotten on my phone and booked a one-way flight DOH-IST or DOH-FRA etc and shown it to the agents to say that see, I'm going to be transiting on a separate ticket.
Questionable if the QR agents would have believed you after changing your story. It might well have worked, or not...
Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:45 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Irrelevant. Airlines can create PR disasters even they are doing the right thing.

Hospitals are very different from airlines.

I keep my view. If you were a company that banned customers for making a complaint you would be out of business in very short order. Rightly so too.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I keep my view. If you were a company that banned customers for making a complaint you would be out of business in very short order. Rightly so too.
That means you really know nothing...Really...
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:53 pm
Suspended

That means you really know nothing...Really...
Would you care to elaborate?
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Would you care to elaborate?
The majority of companies, airlines or not, do have blacklists as a matter of fact. It is a matter if you know that and how exactly the lists work.

I understand many don't believe that 1 complaint/negativity can trigger a ban. But whether an event or incident is sufficient enough to trigger the blacklist is impossible to know.

One thing for sure - what itsmeitisss has claimed is definitely meritless, as many companies utilizing blacklists are still standing despite COVID-19.

FWIW - even FT here has a blacklist as well, and it is not even a "business".
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:10 pm
Suspended

The majority of companies, airlines or not, do have blacklists as a matter of fact. It is a matter if you know that and how exactly the lists work.

I understand many don't believe that 1 complaint/negativity can trigger a ban. But whether an event or incident is sufficient enough to trigger the blacklist is impossible to know.

One thing for sure - what itsmeitisss has claimed is definitely meritless, as many companies utilizing blacklists are still standing despite COVID-19.

FWIW - even FT here has a blacklist as well, and it is not even a "business".
Sorry, but this is complete nonsense.

Yes, companies have blacklists for crazies who repeatedly complain about minor things in an aggressive manner, or who go off the rails and threaten. They don't blacklist people for making legitimate customer service complaints. I'm not sure I know where to begin, but no business is going to blacklist someone for providing feedback on a situation deemed not to have played out in an ideal way.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
banned for life
blacklists
That’s enough. Please take these off-topic side-discussions elsewhere.

OP talked tough
The OP’s opening and follow-up posts - and (with a couple of notable exceptions) subsequent replies and debate - are measured and considerate. Let’s keep it that way.
adrianlondon and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Dec 3, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think you are confusing the two scenarios in the thread now.

Howard Long (OP) who had LHR-DOH-LHR booked and was denied as he did not have any right to enter Qatar and it was not a transit.

nufnuf77, whom Tobias-UK was replying to, and had LHR-DOH-VIE booked and was denied boarding since QR staff incorrectly believed he did not have a right to enter Austria, a clear mistake in his case and therefore gives rise to a claim for denied boarding under Art. 4 EC261.
Clarity as always 😎
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.