Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding, tricky one

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cauchy
The OP's case might well turn on the specific wording of Qatar's COVID rules. IF the rule was phrased as "no entry for non-Qatari nationals/residents...but this does not affect passengers who remain airside / don't leave the airport" then the OP could have a case. Equally, if the rules were set out as "customers in transit to a third country are allowed airside" then the OP is screwed as there are only 2 countries involved in his trip. Perhaps the OP can contact the Qatari embassy and see if they have a copy of the rules?

You might think the OP has a weak case, but he has acted in good faith and the outcome here could be quite harsh. He deserves some sympathy.
Unfortunately, still, the OP is considered as a point-to-point passenger and should meet the Qatari requirements for entry. TIMATIC does not have anything about transfers but clearly indicated that non-citizens and non-residents are not allowed to enter Qatar.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:11 pm

The OP's case might well turn on the specific wording of Qatar's COVID rules. IF the rule was phrased as "no entry for non-Qatari nationals/residents...but this does not affect passengers who remain airside / don't leave the airport" then the OP could have a case. Equally, if the rules were set out as "customers in transit to a third country are allowed airside" then the OP is screwed as there are only 2 countries involved in his trip. Perhaps the OP can contact the Qatari embassy and see if they have a copy of the rules?

You might think the OP has a weak case, but he has acted in good faith and the outcome here could be quite harsh. He deserves some sympathy.
It's a bit late contacting them.now. With hindsight perhaps they should have checked before travel - it could have saved a lot of Avios. Unfortunately the onus is on the passenger to ensure they hold the correct documents for the journey and meet the requirements in order to travel. This scenario is exactly the reason why you shouldn't assume without properly checking and keeping in mind that these requirements can change without much in the way of notice. It's regrettable but I fail to see how the responsibility can lie with anyone other than the OP on this occasion. It will also be interesting to understand on what grounds they feel they have cause for complaint to BA (ticket provider) in order for an Avios refund to be made. Just because they're not getting the responses they would like to hear doesn't mean there's a complaint to be made that justifies the kind of service recovery they're expecting/hoping for.
bafan likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Nov 29, 2020 at 5:21 pm
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Smile

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
We had similar issue on Thursday, LHR-DOH-VIE. we were denied boarding. I already filed a claim for the costs, expenses, etc... 7 days before MCOL. On friday i got email saying our documents are in fact OK and to ask BA to reissue the ticket for today or tomorrow. BA wont reissue because we were denied boarding and the policies changed since when we were booked.
Greetings (from the USA) my dear friend. Get your EC261 claim in, you were IDBd - and QR’s own reply confirms it. Spend that €1200 wisely - Felice Navidad (or is Mele Kalikimaka more appropriate? ).
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:41 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Thanks,

Despite the disappointment, we are off on LHR-CDG-FRA-ZRH-GRU-BOG on Friday for 10days,(to keep ourselves entertained), with a team offsite in Cartagena over the weekend. It has been a while since i did LX F so will be nice to retry it after LH pulled most of 747s out of the skies.
Very OT but please do not forget you may need Yellow Fever vaccination certificate, if you enter Columbia from Brazil. Transit passengers not leaving the airport are exempt (if memory serves).
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The OP's case might well turn on the specific wording of Qatar's COVID rules. IF the rule was phrased as "no entry for non-Qatari nationals/residents...but this does not affect passengers who remain airside / don't leave the airport" then the OP could have a case.Equally, if the rules were set out as "customers in transit to a third country are allowed airside" then the OP is screwed as there are only 2 countries involved in his trip. Perhaps the OP can contact the Qatari embassy and see if they have a copy of the rules?
While wording varies, the essence is "Entry into Qatar is now permitted for Qatari nationals, their families, permanent residency holders and Qatar ID (QID) holders."

https://www.visitqatar.qa/en/plan-your-trip/travel-tips

You might think the OP has a weak case, but he has acted in good faith and the outcome here could be quite harsh. He deserves some sympathy
Not only OP has no case at all, but OP in fact acted in bad faith. Specifically, OP has said:

Originally Posted by Howard Long
Despite the fact that I had no intention of entering Qatar (I also presented a paper copy of my airside transit hotel booking), I was denied boarding, as I was told I would still need to be granted immigration status for travel despite remaining in the transit area.
Viewing this in light most favorable to OP, just because OP claims no intention entering Qatar, it does not exempt OP from meeting the transit requirement. The fact that Qatar does not allow transit currently, and yet, OP chose to do this is a sufficient proof that OP disregarded the rules, regardless he was aware of this or not.

If OP deserves sympathy, QR would have let OP to board and complete the trip as-is. This is the sympathy OP should get and yet OP did not have it.

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Greetings (from the USA) my dear friend. Get your EC261 claim in, you were IDBd - and QR’s own reply confirms it. Spend that €1200 wisely - Felice Navidad (or is Mele Kalikimaka more appropriate? ).
My friend - do you mind educating me how EC261 applies here? At the minimum, OP was IDBed because of OP's failure to comply necessary immigration rules.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 5:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by garykung
My friend - do you mind educating me how EC261 applies here? At the minimum, OP was IDBed because of OP's failure to comply necessary immigration rules.
I think you are confusing the two scenarios in the thread now.

Howard Long (OP) who had LHR-DOH-LHR booked and was denied as he did not have any right to enter Qatar and it was not a transit.

nufnuf77, whom Tobias-UK was replying to, and had LHR-DOH-VIE booked and was denied boarding since QR staff incorrectly believed he did not have a right to enter Austria, a clear mistake in his case and therefore gives rise to a claim for denied boarding under Art. 4 EC261.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This thread reminds me of US and EU passport users who thought they could use airside TWOV to do cheap trips to/from China only to find out that a roundtrip ticket to and from China even when heading back on the same plane as the one coming in -- and having no need to even go landside for any reason -- wasn't going to fly with the airline and not necessarily reliably even with the Chinese personnel manning airside TWOV stations.

If you're going to try to game around a restriction, then note there are risks of facing an unwelcome situation when the game is being done on a basis that is short of adequate information and experience to avoid an unwelcome surprise on the intended day of travel.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Isn't this a clear case of fraud that they are refusing to refund you your miles? If you were a no show that would be one thing but they wouldn't let you go so no trip, no miles. I'd personally be looking into a civil suit and contacting the government to get your miles back.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:10 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Isn't this a clear case of fraud that they are refusing to refund you your miles? If you were a no show that would be one thing but they wouldn't let you go so no trip, no miles. I'd personally be looking into a civil suit and contacting the government to get your miles back.
Assuming you are referring to the OP, and assuming they were correctly denied boarding, no it isn’t.

It is the passenger’s responsibility to ensure they are permitted to fly to their destination.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:15 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
I'm sorry to hear about this headache you had to go through, but as others already said here, why choose Qatar as a stopover in the first place?
If possible, I'm definitely avoiding going there and doing business with Qatar Airways in the future.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:45 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
From a philosophical point of view, while the OP did not intend to legally enter Qatar, the purpose of his trip was not for transit. It was to go to Qatar for a meeting to be held on Qatari territory. So if a visa would normally be required and I were in charge of a country's visa policy, I would require a visa for such a trip even if not entering the country - which is much like China's TWOV policy.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
Assuming you are referring to the OP, and assuming they were correctly denied boarding, no it isn’t.

It is the passenger’s responsibility to ensure they are permitted to fly to their destination.
OK, most of my trips are domestic and not international so I'm not totally educated on different entry requirements and what happens if you are denied boarding due to not meeting those requirements. Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Howard Long
FWIW I travelled Swiss longhaul F to/from HKG in March on a newly refurbed A340-600, just as the Covid shutters were coming down, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32168464-post471.html, a brief synopsis is below: spoiler alert; a great place to sleep, dining not quite so much, but I am sure it'll be far better than BA F at the moment..
You mean a 340-300? LX doesn’t have the 340-600 in their fleet.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gabbr
I'm sorry to hear about this headache you had to go through, but as others already said here, why choose Qatar as a stopover in the first place?
If possible, I'm definitely avoiding going there and doing business with Qatar Airways in the future.
Why would you avoid doing business with QR based on it correctly denying travel to a passenger due to not having the required documents to be allowed to travel ?

Qatar wasnt just a stopover , it was the destination
Old Nov 30, 2020, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Would two one-way tickets work: the first LHR-DOH-IST or wherever would let you in, and a second DOH-LHR? Obviously, you chuck the DOH-IST leg.
I suspect QR system would detect an impossible itinerary and cancel one or both flights. You can’t be travelling to IST and LHR at the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.