Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding, tricky one

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2020, 1:22 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why would you avoid doing business with QR based on it correctly denying travel to a passenger due to not having the required documents to be allowed to travel ?

Qatar wasnt just a stopover , it was the destination
Ok, I understand that if it was the destination, they were in the right to deny boarding.

But I will avoid QR as much as possible as they have the worst customer service, just take a look at the complaint thread in their forum and also the reviews all over the net. Some say the on-board service is good/ok, but customer service for me is more important as we all know how much of a nuisance airlines can be when they don't treat their customers properly.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 1:27 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
OP should have booked LHR x/DOH MLE x/DOH LHR instead (provided he has a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test 96 hours prior to departure).

The x/ on the ticket's fare calculation line is very important.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Howard Long
If that were the case, I'd have no quibble. Unfortunately, I'm neither being offered offered the Avios back nor a voucher. I'd prefer the Avios, but I'd settle for a voucher.

Similar thing here, a couple of hours sitting about before getting the no-can-do.

The BA rep on the phone when I returned home made a number of wild assumptions about the trip before I was allowed to explain, particularly that she was saying it was a one way ticket, when it wasn't, it was on the same PNR, and that it was the "next day" I was returning, well yes, it was... arriving at 5pm and leaving at 1:40am, not at all an unusual transit time for DOH. That was what frustrated me the most to be honest, the BA rep jumped to several conclusions without trying to understand the situation.

Truth be told, I've done similar trips outside of covid many times where I never step landside, including three or four times to DOH, in fact DOH is one of the better airports for doing it as you can transfer through security without even having a boarding pass.

I guess I'll file a complaint and see where that gets me!
Just wanted to clear some things up about this.
When you miss a flight on your itinerary it will cancel other flights in itinerary or in your scenario airport may even delete the outbound flights. So its likely that when you called the BA agent was simply reacting to what the itinerary looked like. When I retrieve a PNR i would say something like “I can see you are travelling to X” to help identify its the correct PNR.

Also if a flight is missed either you NOSHOW or you are denied boarding then in contact centres we arent able to rebook and fare rules apply.

In this scenario the options would have been to change ticket the ticket or take a voucher. The important thing to note is that either option needs to be done before check in closed for the first flight.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 2:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Originally Posted by cauchy
Would two one-way tickets work: the first LHR-DOH-IST or wherever would let you in, and a second DOH-LHR? Obviously, you chuck the DOH-IST leg.
I suspect QR system would detect an impossible itinerary and cancel one or both flights.
When it comes to examples sort like the one quoted: in prior years' trips with QR it hasn't worked in the way suggested above. The example quoted by the above is not an example of the passenger being double booked on a particular flight.

Being booked on an "impossible itinerary" when using separately ticketed PNRs isn't commonly used by QR to cancel one or both flights/itineraries. I am pretty certain that a UK passport user who is admissible to Turkey would be able to do just what cauchy covered without any cancellation being done by QR just because it may be perceived as an "impossible itinerary".
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 30, 2020 at 2:47 am
Old Nov 30, 2020, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
You mean a 340-300? LX doesn’t have the 340-600 in their fleet.
Yes, you're right, I never got to see how long it wasn't ;-)
Old Nov 30, 2020, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Anonba
Just wanted to clear some things up about this.
When you miss a flight on your itinerary it will cancel other flights in itinerary or in your scenario airport may even delete the outbound flights. So its likely that when you called the BA agent was simply reacting to what the itinerary looked like. When I retrieve a PNR i would say something like “I can see you are travelling to X” to help identify its the correct PNR.

Also if a flight is missed either you NOSHOW or you are denied boarding then in contact centres we arent able to rebook and fare rules apply.

In this scenario the options would have been to change ticket the ticket or take a voucher. The important thing to note is that either option needs to be done before check in closed for the first flight.
Yes, that was one of a number of things the rep misinterpreted, although I doubt it's an uncommon scenario. My return was already cancelled by the time I was back in a cab going home with my tail between my legs, I could see I'd been offloaded already.

I didn't get the chance to change the ticket or take a voucher before check in closed, I was still sitting at check in waiting for a decision, but QR were offering to put me on the next flight an hour or so later if necessary at that time.

I received a fairly standard reply yesterday surprisingly quickly from the complaints dept, mostly a rubber stamped one, but to be fair it was with an acceptance from BA that the evidence showed I wouldn't be going through through immigration, and that entry requirements can be difficult to interpret: 90 minutes for trained airline staff in my case. Of course, nothing offered other than a refund of taxes etc, no Avios or voucher. I now strongly suspect I'm flogging a dead horse.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 5:58 am

I suspect QR system would detect an impossible itinerary and cancel one or both flights. You can’t be travelling to IST and LHR at the same time.
I don’t think so actually. I occasionally had two conflicting bookings (not with QR but other carriers) mostly stemming from the fact that some ticket was non refundable and I just booked something else.

Even if there was such mechanism OP could have booked a TK flight instead. I am not sure if a transit on two tickets is allowed via DOH currently, but if it is they would have admitted him onto the flight. He could have then cancelled the TK flight and flown the initial itinerary. Presumably he would then have violated some Qatari immigration law and might have been flagged upon boarding his return. So presumably not the best idea.

Even easier would been to book LON-DOH-FRA and he would have been fine. Funny how inconsistent rules are...
Old Nov 30, 2020, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Freddorick
I don’t think so actually. I occasionally had two conflicting bookings (not with QR but other carriers) mostly stemming from the fact that some ticket was non refundable and I just booked something else.

Even if there was such mechanism OP could have booked a TK flight instead. I am not sure if a transit on two tickets is allowed via DOH currently, but if it is they would have admitted him onto the flight. He could have then cancelled the TK flight and flown the initial itinerary. Presumably he would then have violated some Qatari immigration law and might have been flagged upon boarding his return. So presumably not the best idea.

Even easier would been to book LON-DOH-FRA and he would have been fine. Funny how inconsistent rules are...
If the OP had booked a separate TK ticket from DOH to IST, this doesn't mean that QR would accept him onboard. Even though the OP is eligible to enter Turkey, the contract between QR and the OP is for travel between the United Kingdom and the State of Qatar.

* I know QR is accepting two separate tickets on QR but not sure about a QR flight followed by a flight operated by a different airline.
BA is one of the generous airlines that allows people that have a transfer to a third country on a separate ticket on a different airline but most other airlines are not generous like BA accepting passengers who doesn't meet the criteria for their final destination on their first ticket and have an onward flight to a third country.

By the way, LHR-DOH-FRA or something similar would have worked without issues.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
BA is one of the generous airlines that allows people that have a transfer to a third country on a separate ticket on a different airline but most other airlines are not generous like BA accepting passengers who doesn't meet the criteria for their final destination on their first ticket and have an onward flight to a third country.
I'm not sure what you mean by this? BA doesn't decide UK entry procedures.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 6:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
* I know QR is accepting two separate tickets on QR but not sure about a QR flight followed by a flight operated by a different airline.
Yes, QR are fine with this, they have had do do this anyway thanks to the long running dispute with the GCC, but even before that QR were fine so long as no luggage was involved.

By the way, LHR-DOH-FRA or something similar would have worked without issues.
On paper yes, but in reality you would probably have nervous QR staff reluctant to commit on that one. It could be seen as an open jaw to and from DOH, even if the transit time was under 24 hours. So had the OP checked with this forum before booking I would have advised an IST or similar option rather than FRA.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I'm not sure what you mean by this? BA doesn't decide UK entry procedures.
Sorry for the confusion; what I meant was;

If you are flying:

LHR-DOH with BA followed by a separate ticket with Ethiopian to Tanzania, BA would allow you to board the LHR-DOH flight if you show your onward DOH-ADD-DAR ticket with ET as UK citizens are allowed to enter Tanzania at the moment.

If you're flying IST-DOH with TK followed by a separate ticket with ET to Tanzania, TK would not allow you to board the IST-DOH flight stating that the passenger is not eligible to enter Qatar which is his final destination on his ticket with TK.

Similar situation for Russia;

Pre-COVID, on BA services to DME, people were able to fly LHR-DME without a Russian visa by showing an onward separate S7 ticket to the check-in and gate agent whereas some airlines like TK would not allow a UK citizen to board a flight to Russia without a visa unless the passenger has a connection to a third country on the same ticket.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 7:34 am

Sorry for the confusion; what I meant was;

If you are flying:

LHR-DOH with BA followed by a separate ticket with Ethiopian to Tanzania, BA would allow you to board the LHR-DOH flight if you show your onward DOH-ADD-DAR ticket with ET as UK citizens are allowed to enter Tanzania at the moment.

If you're flying IST-DOH with TK followed by a separate ticket with ET to Tanzania, TK would not allow you to board the IST-DOH flight stating that the passenger is not eligible to enter Qatar which is his final destination on his ticket with TK.

Similar situation for Russia;

Pre-COVID, on BA services to DME, people were able to fly LHR-DME without a Russian visa by showing an onward separate S7 ticket to the check-in and gate agent whereas some airlines like TK would not allow a UK citizen to board a flight to Russia without a visa unless the passenger has a connection to a third country on the same ticket.
So you saying BA agents tend to be more confident? Good to know, I wasn’t aware, although I am guessing that might depend on the individual agent/ supervisor? Any other airlines that are more accommodating in your experience?

Now that you mention it, I once did a TWOV in PVG departing from BEG with QR and continuing to HKG. The BEG agent needed a lot of convincing to issue boarding passes but ultimately did (after checking with QR supervisor on the ground and DOH office). I figured it might have just been the case of a third party checkin agent that likely was not very familiar with timatic/ TWOV in China.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Freddorick
So you saying BA agents tend to be more confident? Good to know, I wasn’t aware, although I am guessing that might depend on the individual agent/ supervisor? Any other airlines that are more accommodating in your experience?

Now that you mention it, I once did a TWOV in PVG departing from BEG with QR and continuing to HKG. The BEG agent needed a lot of convincing to issue boarding passes but ultimately did (after checking with QR supervisor on the ground and DOH office). I figured it might have just been the case of a third party checkin agent that likely was not very familiar with timatic/ TWOV in China.
Until today, I never took the risk of two separate tickets where I am not admitted into the final destination of the first ticket but from my experience from the forum reading other people's posts, I could tell that the US3 is also lenient. Not sure about other airlines.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 8:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Until today, I never took the risk of two separate tickets where I am not admitted into the final destination of the first ticket but from my experience from the forum reading other people's posts, I could tell that the US3 is also lenient. Not sure about other airlines.
Pre COVID i never had issues with any visa when on separate tickets, provided luggage wasnt involved (and it never was involved!)
The best fun itinerary was LHR-FRA-PVG-ZRH-LHR without visa under the 6 day TWOV rule.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Pre COVID i never had issues with any visa when on separate tickets, provided luggage wasnt involved (and it never was involved!)
The best fun itinerary was LHR-FRA-PVG-ZRH-LHR without visa under the 6 day TWOV rule.
It could be a hit or miss.
By the way, I remember that someone told me that WOW Air ( RIP ) denied boarding a mutual friend ( a friend of a friend ) when flying KEF-LGW ( WW ) and LGW-IST ( TK ) on separate tickets because the passengers didn't have the correct documents to enter to the UK ( UK visa in this case ).

I don't know if checked baggage was involved or not and I don't know the logic why they didn't attempt transferring from a Schengen country rather than the UK where they wouldn't had any issues. I also don't have information on how did they get to Iceland on their outbound from Turkey. My guess is that they bought the cheapest combination on Skyscanner or somewhere similar as IST-KEF fares are generally the double price compared to transferring somewhere in central Europe on separate tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.