Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding, tricky one

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Howard Long
I hope that clears that up. We all make genuine mistakes, and I've now accepted it was my mistake. Hopefully I can gain some opportunity of redemption, although this has been a tough crowd.
Yes, it's been a painful lesson. I would advocate people use this forum to check things like this out before booking, there was an obvious problem with this booking. We occasionally hear of similar stories for those trying a day trip to Moscow, different circumstances, but similar difficulties - and those suggesting it also seem unaware what transit means. I think your best line of argument now, incidentally, is that given the ticking clock, the Qatar agent should have denied you long, long before check-in was closed, then BA could have sucked back the Avios. So you could ask BA to show mercy by asking whether anything could be done about this, since QR clearly took way longer that necessary to reach that view. If I had been working the check-in desk you'd have been bounced off in 90 seconds, it's an obvious non starter and the QR staff would know that only residents are being allowed into Qatar unless transiting. So you could perhaps ask that QR / BA look at that aspect and perhaps see if anything can be done about it. But yeah, it's a tough crowd.

Elsewhere you have indicated how you are itching to get travelling again, I am sure you are aware that from 15 December you can go to a wide range of other places and find the self isolation period cut to 5 or 6 days. Right now Dubai would be a better bet, albeit on a BA aircraft.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 5:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by JessicaB
Provided that your supplier's flight isn't late, that there aren't lines for security, that they are not stopped and manually checked. I would go as far as to say that by flying such a long way with all the current travel restrictions, having a brief meeting with someone airside and then flying straight back you could alert the suspicions of the authorities. As has been said already, this may seem normal behaviour on Flyertalk but to the outside world this would seem very strange given the pandemic.
there is currently no security check in Doha in my past couple of flights since pandemic started. Just a pass through temperature screen
Old Dec 1, 2020, 5:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by wilko1
My heart really does sink when I read posts like this. Travelling 1/4 of the way around the world in the middle of a pandemic, in UK lockdown, for a few hours in Doha airport?
I know I’m on a frequent flyer site, but I am still shocked. Regardless of the value of the contract/what value the OP puts on the meeting, the world really does need better than this.
I am sorry but no one is asking for your judgemental view of what people ought and ought not do. Human life does have monetary value as many assurance professionals would tell you and NO, life and travel will not just stop to save one person
Jed, adrianlondon and 20Rothmans like this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Originally Posted by Howard Long
You're very welcome to your opinion. :-)
FT should be a place of help. The tone of some in this thread (forum at times) is too judgemental, haughty and frankly these people sound very insecure. Were these people bullied at school/neglected as children? We are all human and have made mistakes and this is/should be a place to share knowledge and help others when things go wrong - not judge.

QR in my experience are more "hot" on checking/observing entry requirements than other airlines. It would be good if BA is able to offer you something. Did you purchase the ticket before the Qatar travel ban? That may help your case.
Jed, KARFA and nufnuf77 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No airline plays loosy-goosy with entry requirements, and certainly not now. As always, it is the traveller's responsibility to check whether they are able to travel and be admitted on the day of travel with correct paperwork, etc. This is independent of when the ticket was bought. It is not BA's fault that entry rules are what they are.

I understand the OP's motivation, and I sympathise and appreciate that to most rational people, staying airside is, for the practical purpose of the entry regulation, the same as being in transit. But the fact is that it is not, and that's not BA's fault.

Last edited by LondonElite; Dec 1, 2020 at 9:09 am
Old Dec 1, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
there is currently no security check in Doha in my past couple of flights since pandemic started. Just a pass through temperature screen
it depends which airport you're arriving from - UK/EU transit pax are often directed back into departures lounge.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:02 am

So actually if you go to https://www.qatarairways.com/en/visa...uirements.html and fill it in with destination & nationality "United Kingdom" and transit point "Qatar" it comes back with:
Originally Posted by Qatar's Visa and Passport Requirements tool for Transit Qatar
Visa required.
Visa Exemptions:
Passengers with a British normal passport traveling as tourists for a maximum stay of 30 days. They must have a passport valid for a minimum of 6 months from the arrival date.
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Passengers with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country within 24 hours. They must stay in the international transit area of the airport and have documents required for the next destination.
So unfortunately for the OP, even if he was in transit, he wasn't in transit to a third country so he doesn't qualify for TWOV. But there's still a Visa Exemption paragraph on this TIMATIC response which doesn't seem to make much sense (in that you definitely can't stay in Qatar for 30 days to await your next flight). If the airline's own website can't get it right I think it's a bit harsh to expect the OP to do so.

Last edited by cauchy; Dec 1, 2020 at 10:08 am
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cauchy
So unfortunately for the OP, even if he was in transit, he wasn't in transit to a third country so he doesn't qualify for TWOV. But there's still a Visa Exemption paragraph on this TIMATIC response which doesn't seem to make much sense (in that you definitely can't stay in Qatar for 30 days to await your next flight). If the airline's own website can't get it right I think it's a bit harsh to expect the OP to do so.
The visa exemption applies to both entry and transit for Qatar. If you enter Qatar as the destination, then this becomes more apparent, since though a visa exemption applies, you still cannot enter Qatar. Previously some people needed a visa even to transit in Qatar.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cauchy
So actually if you go to https://www.qatarairways.com/en/visa...uirements.html and fill it in with destination & nationality "United Kingdom" and transit point "Qatar" it comes back with:

I think the algorithm isn't set up to consider a situation where someone would return to country 1 without entering the country.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Originally Posted by LondonElite
No airline plays loosy-goosy with entry requirements, and certainly not now. As always, it is the traveller's responsibility to check whether they are able to travel and be admitted on the day of travel with correct paperwork, etc. This is independent of when the ticket was bought. It is not BA's fault that entry rules are what they are.

I understand the OP's motivation, and I sympathise and appreciate that to most rational people, staying airside is, for the practical purpose of the entry regulation, the same as being in transit. But the fact is that it is not, and that's not BA's fault.
Agree totally, but many airlines are being lenient with change fees etc. given entry rules can change after you buy a ticket. e.g. QR give a free change if your destination changes its entry rules. I have no clue for BA since I don't think they stipulate anything, but who knows they may show mercy, if OP falls under this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
Agree totally, but many airlines are being lenient with change fees etc. given entry rules can change after you buy a ticket. e.g. QR give a free change if your destination changes its entry rules. I have no clue for BA since I don't think they stipulate anything, but who knows they may show mercy, if OP falls under this.
The option would have been take a voucher before check in closed, unfortunately op missed that deadline.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
Originally Posted by Anonba
The option would have been take a voucher before check in closed, unfortunately op missed that deadline.
Agree, and this probably would have been easier if it had been only one airline involved (ie not involving BA as TA or QR as operating carrier).
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think you are confusing the two scenarios in the thread now.

Howard Long (OP) who had LHR-DOH-LHR booked and was denied as he did not have any right to enter Qatar and it was not a transit.

nufnuf77, whom Tobias-UK was replying to, and had LHR-DOH-VIE booked and was denied boarding since QR staff incorrectly believed he did not have a right to enter Austria, a clear mistake in his case and therefore gives rise to a claim for denied boarding under Art. 4 EC261.
I did not. My question was partially rhetorical. Another part was I really wanted to see how exactly this was a EC261 in case I was wrong.

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I hope you aren't working in any customer facing role. For physical or verbal abuse I'd agree, but for simply attempting what the OP is attempting? Ridiculous.
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
wow, some one is on a keyboard warrior power trip! Chill out dude.
Originally Posted by wilko1
it’s interesting the strength of opinion: I would never countenance this unless a passenger had been violent/threats of violence etc. A complaint through the normal channels surely should never result in this. Even if wildly inappropriate (which this one isn’t...) a passenger should be declined, not banned.
And to the OP - there is no harm in making a complaint - you may find a sympathetic CS advisor who provides some relief beyond what they would normally do. I just wouldn’t expect anything.
I standby with my comments.

While it seems it is moot for now, OP made a mistake. No big deal. The problem is OP claimed a complaint would be filed (which I doubt it is the case now).

CS is about serving customers better. There is always a bottom line for CS, as you can't simply accommodate everyone.

While I agree that many people are usually banned for life due to major incidents, it does not preclude an airline to "give up" a passenger on CS issue. In fact, this had happened before.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
IME it depended which gate you arrive at from the UK and other select outstations, that is definitely a crap shoot, and my assumption, albeit moot now, was that I'd need to go through a security screen. If you correctly orientate yourself and know which way you're going before & after security you can avoid long aimless walks around the duty free trying to find the lounge escalators.

Last edited by Howard Long; Dec 1, 2020 at 12:36 pm
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, it's been a painful lesson. I would advocate people use this forum to check things like this out before booking, there was an obvious problem with this booking.
As I've mentioned several times, it wasn't even on my radar as a risk TBH bearing in mind my previous experiences and (incorrect) assumption that B2B=transit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.