Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MPH1980
Answering my own questions - 1) yes and 2) yes.

REALLY easy process. I took a chance having re-read the threads and called BA. Rang gold line - explained what I wanted - agent did some extra security since it's a TA booking, checked for A class, nabbed the seats (which made me panic as the a class availability disappeared with it when I refreshed EF!) and then went off to fares to get tax difference before offering to re-ticket without me on the phone.

Agent knew exactly the rules and said she did want to double check because the offering "keeps changing".

Shame I won't make it to 2500 in the future (change of job) - as these vouchers are great.
Wait, now I'm confused? Are there three changes - (1) BA can upgrade its own tickets into a revenue class, (2) TAs can now upgrade existing (rather than just new) tickets into a revenue class, AND (3) BA can now upgrade a TA-issued booking into a revenue class.

I didn't read the news above to believe that (3) was in fact that case but your post makes me feel otherwise?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by PGFlyer85
Wait, now I'm confused? Are there three changes - (1) BA can upgrade its own tickets into a revenue class, (2) TAs can now upgrade existing (rather than just new) tickets into a revenue class, AND (3) BA can now upgrade a TA-issued booking into a revenue class.

I didn't read the news above to believe that (3) was in fact that case but your post makes me feel otherwise?
It was certainly true in my case.

However, then had to refund the booking - and I STILL haven't got my money back. BA cancelled the ticket (as they should) and gave me the voucher back - then rang expedia to get money - which took 30 minutes of waiting, followed by a further 20 minutes while they talked to BA before she said "yes - you can have your money back - please wait 6 weeks"
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by MPH1980
Answering my own questions - 1) yes and 2) yes.

REALLY easy process. I took a chance having re-read the threads and called BA. Rang gold line - explained what I wanted - agent did some extra security since it's a TA booking, checked for A class, nabbed the seats (which made me panic as the a class availability disappeared with it when I refreshed EF!) and then went off to fares to get tax difference before offering to re-ticket without me on the phone.

Agent knew exactly the rules and said she did want to double check because the offering "keeps changing".

Shame I won't make it to 2500 in the future (change of job) - as these vouchers are great.
How long did the re-ticketing take in your case? I did my GUF2 upgrade over the phone last night and, although the new travel class appears in my MMB, I have not yet received my new tickets (with new numbers?)and a receipt for the extra taxes I paid (WTP to CW).
Old Sep 22, 2019, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by lall
How long did the re-ticketing take in your case? I did my GUF2 upgrade over the phone last night and, although the new travel class appears in my MMB, I have not yet received my new tickets (with new numbers?)and a receipt for the extra taxes I paid (WTP to CW).
Mine was less than 24 hours but remember reticketing is in a queue - so nearest journies out get ticketed first.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Just trying to understand the GUF process as a first timer - I get that this thread is mainly about revenue buckets, but can someone confirm that a GUF be still used to upgrade into a reward bucket - for instance LHR-BOS where there is no A class but I know there is Z availability?

And any problem with GUFing an open jaw where there is Z available outbound and A available inbound?

If I am doing it to an ex-EU trip, can I book the ticket online and then call to apply the GUF to the TATL legs?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Just trying to understand the GUF process as a first timer - I get that this thread is mainly about revenue buckets, but can someone confirm that a GUF be still used to upgrade into a reward bucket - for instance LHR-BOS where there is no A class but I know there is Z availability?

And any problem with GUFing an open jaw where there is Z available outbound and A available inbound?

If I am doing it to an ex-EU trip, can I book the ticket online and then call to apply the GUF to the TATL legs?
Yes yes and yes
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Ha ha thanks - for the open jaw question I am hoping your 'yes' means 'no' - as in 'yes, there is no problem doing that'
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:54 am

Hi folks,

I just missed this (really good) set of changes having booked an avios ticket (using a 2-4-1) into WT+ and then upgraded into the avios available seats in CW with the GUF2. The new rules would allow me to book the CW seats using avios (and 2-4-1), and then upgrade these into A class using the GUF2.

Inevitably the CW reward availability is now gone--not least as I am holding two of the seats with my current booking! And I don't want to refund my current ticket as it's unlikely the reward CW seats will reappear for me to rebook and take advantage of the new GUF2 rules.

So: is there any experience of asking BA whether I can pay the additional avios and taxes to move my WT+ avios/2-4-1 booking into the reward CW seats I am already holding, and then apply the GUF2 in A? It would essentially be a retrospective implementation of the new GUF rules. But it also feels quite complicated!

Any help or tips appreciated.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Booked our first one using t class availability and revenue economy direct with BA.

Both the agents in UK and India ggl lines knew about the change and all went well.

Good enhancement by BA as we have in the past lost a few vouchers due expiration, even after being extended.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AntarcticPenguin
Hi folks,

I just missed this (really good) set of changes having booked an avios ticket (using a 2-4-1) into WT+ and then upgraded into the avios available seats in CW with the GUF2. The new rules would allow me to book the CW seats using avios (and 2-4-1), and then upgrade these into A class using the GUF2.

Inevitably the CW reward availability is now gone--not least as I am holding two of the seats with my current booking! And I don't want to refund my current ticket as it's unlikely the reward CW seats will reappear for me to rebook and take advantage of the new GUF2 rules.

So: is there any experience of asking BA whether I can pay the additional avios and taxes to move my WT+ avios/2-4-1 booking into the reward CW seats I am already holding, and then apply the GUF2 in A? It would essentially be a retrospective implementation of the new GUF rules. But it also feels quite complicated!

Any help or tips appreciated.
I've just tried this an d the agent said no.

I have a 2-4-1 and wanted to book 2 reward seats in CW to Hong Kong (available) and use the GUF2 voucher to upgrade to First (A class available). The agent said I can only use the voucher to upgrade to First using A class if the the CW booking was made in cash, cannot combine with a 2-4-1 voucher. Was she right or should I HUACA (she did speak to a supervisor).
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
We've had a few reports that this was possible. As long as there are 2 reward seats available in the lower cabin for the 2-4-1 and the right class in the cabin above you should be fine. I think that's a case of HUACA...

What you can't do is spend the CW Avios and GUF2 to F if there aren't 2 reward seats in the CW cabin.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
We've had a few reports that this was possible. As long as there are 2 reward seats available in the lower cabin for the 2-4-1 and the right class in the cabin above you should be fine. I think that's a case of HUACA...

What you can't do is spend the CW Avios and GUF2 to F if there aren't 2 reward seats in the CW cabin.
Cheers. The agent confirmed there were 2 CW seats available but said it wasnt possible to use the GUF2 as well unless there was Z class in First!. This was after being on hold for 5 minutes while she spoke to a superisor.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Club; Gold
Originally Posted by happeemonkee
Cheers. The agent confirmed there were 2 CW seats available but said it wasnt possible to use the GUF2 as well unless there was Z class in First!. This was after being on hold for 5 minutes while she spoke to a superisor.
I have the precise same question (asked elsewhere on another thread too) - so interested to know the outcome on this...
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by alex67500

The agent has confused T&Cs 4 and 5 from the GUF T&Cs.

You CAN upgrade a reward booking with a GUF (effectively what you want to do):

4. Gold Upgrade vouchers can be used in conjunction with any published fare sold directly by British Airways, including Reward bookings and package holiday fares. However, it excludes group bookings and those sold as part of a packaged holiday. Gold Upgrade vouchers may be used in conjunction with eligible industry or agency discounted fares only.

What you CAN'T do is upgrade a booking that has already been upgraded with Avios:

5. Gold Upgrade vouchers cannot be used in conjunction with any bookings that have already been subject to an upgrade (Avios points for Upgrade or Gold Upgrade vouchers), or any other promotions/offers.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Milnio87
I have the precise same question (asked elsewhere on another thread too) - so interested to know the outcome on this...
Just a quick update. Just phoned BA and asked to apply the GUF2 to the Amex 2-4-1 CW booking and was told no again. I told her the policy had changed and she put me on hold while she spoke to a supervisor. Told me again there had to be Z availability in First, not A Class, to use the GUF2 with a companion voucher. I asked the agent to check through her emails for the policy change and she put me on hold again.

10 minutes later she confirms the policy change and apologises. Said she had worked there for years and was embarrassed a customer was updating them on policy. I just said I got the info from the trade bible, Flyertalk All booked in First now, well one way. Waiting for the return. Thanks a lot to all on here who help on a daily basis. It is shocking that you know more than some of the BA agents!! (2 out of the 3 i've spoken to didn't know)
alex67500, Lefly and BertieBadger like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.