Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
I had some questions about how this would work based on various comments upthread and in the main Gold Upgrade Voucher thread, so I thought I’d pass along my own experience.

I made a “package holiday” booking through BA Holidays. The booking included a codeshare flight operated by AA. I think the BA Holidays phone line was closed when I made the booking, so I made the booking on line and then called after the fact to apply the voucher. The agent was able to apply it with no problem.

The agent noted that they couldn’t upgrade the AA-operated flight, but the presence of the code share flight didn’t pose a barrier to upgrading the BA-operated flights.

Between the time I booked and when I called, the A class fare bucket went to 0 on one of the flights, so they weren’t able to upgrade that flight. But, I knew that was a possibility when I booked and I wouldn’t have chosen different flights anyway, so I’m satisfied with the outcome. But, in the future, if I really want the upgrade to work and I am flexible on flights, I will probably call and make the booking through the phone to apply the voucher at the time of booking. But, as I said, I’m happy with the result in this case. And, I’ve setup an ExpertFlyer alert to let me know in the unlikely event the A class bucket reappears later.

So, in short:
  • As others have noted, BA Holidays is certainly able to process these.
  • The presence of a code share flight (sold as BA XXXX, operated by another airline) didn’t pose a problem to using the certificate on the BA Holidays booking.

All told, I’m happy with the outcome. Well done to BA for making the upgrade vouchers easier to use.

Last edited by Infinite Possibilities; Jan 16, 2020 at 9:54 pm
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Thanks

We are in the process of updating the wiki as there have been a few changes to the GUF as well as things we have learnt from posted experience. We thought it would be a quick process but there is a lot to do!
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
What am I doing wrong?

I've a couple of GUFs to use, want to use them on a new cash booking to upgrade from WTP to CW. My understanding from the top of the thread is that as long as there is availability in "I" I should be able to do this direct with BA.

Attempting to redeem on BA shows zero availability, despite ExpertFlyer showing 9 available seats at the I fare for both flights that day (LON-LAS 10 Oct for reference).

Am I missing something?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Attempting to redeem on BA shows zero availability, despite ExpertFlyer showing 9 available seats at the I fare for both flights that day (LON-LAS 10 Oct for reference).

Am I missing something?
What’s your point of sale (POS) on the Expertflyer query? You should do a POS search based on the same country where your account is registered.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Are you calling or trying to do it online? The former is probably more reliable.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
What’s your point of sale (POS) on the Expertflyer query? You should do a POS search based on the same country where your account is registered.
UK POS, same as my account (good point tho, something I'll make sure I bear in mind for future searches)

Originally Posted by KARFA
Are you calling or trying to do it online? The former is probably more reliable.
Trying to do it online (thought it would be a quick and easy redemption), I'll give them a call instead ^
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:35 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
I've a couple of GUFs to use, want to use them on a new cash booking to upgrade from WTP to CW. My understanding from the top of the thread is that as long as there is availability in "I" I should be able to do this direct with BA.

Am I missing something?
Same problem

On Matrix IATA, sales city Singapore, restrict to BA I fare, out 8 Nov to SYD from SIN and reverse 16 Nov, availability BA15 out, availability BA16 back.

Try to book with GUF using cash and voucher - no availability.

There must be something I'm not understanding.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Midships
Same problem

On Matrix IATA, sales city Singapore, restrict to BA I fare, out 8 Nov to SYD from SIN and reverse 16 Nov, availability BA15 out, availability BA16 back.

The book and upgrade online was originally designed to use redemption space with GUFs. I am not sure whether the systems have been upgraded to cope with what you are trying to do.

If there I class availability I would suggest you book the underlying cash fare then call straight away to upgrade. Worse case you can cancel the cash fare within 24 hours.
GinFizz, Lefly and Midships like this.

Last edited by golfmad; Feb 1, 2020 at 11:35 pm
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Same problem

Originally Posted by golfmad
The book and upgrade online was originally designed to use redemption space with GUFs. I am not sure whether the systems have been upgraded to cope with what you are trying to do.

If there I class availability I would suggest you book the underlying cash fare then call straight away to upgrade. Worse case you can cancel the cash fare within 24 hours.
Exactly - if you want to use a GUF voucher booking in to revenue class availability (I for Club World) then you will need to call BAEC to get this done (the online system doesn't even work many times with reward availability in terms of giving the correct price for the lower cabin fare due DIF fare structures). Either book the WTP fare now and call to upgrade, or call up to do both (but at the very least price up the underlying WTP fare to make sure you get quoted the correct figure when calling up ..).

In addition the revenue class availability you need will be that based either on POS of the country of your BAEC-registered address, or that of the call centre you contact - I am not certain of exactly how this works (reward availability is at least based on your registered address).
Midships and Lucanesque like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz
Exactly - if you want to use a GUF voucher booking in to revenue class availability (I for Club World) then you will need to call BAEC to get this done (the online system doesn't even work many times with reward availability in terms of giving the correct price for the lower cabin fare due DIF fare structures). Either book the WTP fare now and call to upgrade, or call up to do both (but at the very least price up the underlying WTP fare to make sure you get quoted the correct figure when calling up ..).

In addition the revenue class availability you need will be that based either on POS of the country of your BAEC-registered address, or that of the call centre you contact - I am not certain of exactly how this works (reward availability is at least based on your registered address).
All noted and thanks. For the record, POS is S'pore and that is also my registered address.
GinFizz likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by golfmad

Many thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:35 am

Note there will usually be a cash difference to pay when you do upgrade, should just be the YQ line.
Midships likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Note there will usually be a cash difference to pay when you do upgrade, should just be the YQ line.
Yes the additional cash for the upgrade and indeed the cash for a redemption seat does rather blunt the joy of the booking.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:06 am

Same problem

I ended up calling up and they sorted it all in about 5 minutes. Frustrating it’s not clear it can’t really be done online! Hope you got yours sorted
Midships likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
The earning is based on the paid class or new upgrade class? Only 4 sectors per PNR is straightly enforced if booked with ba direct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.