Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Apologies if I've missed this already being asked in the thread, but for clarity: Does this mean that if I want to pay a T class fare on a flight that is I9 T0, it will get booked even though there is no T class availability?
No it means you can use your GUF voucher to upgrade a WTP flight into CW as long as there is availability in the I class, but you need a valid underlying WTP booking first.

Last edited by alex67500; Jul 8, 2019 at 5:44 am Reason: clarity
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alex67500
No it means you can use your GUF voucher to upgrade a WTP flight into CW as long as there is availability in the I class, so I9 T0 is fine.
so can i clarify, if you are buying a cash fare in WTP and applying the GUF simultaneously at the time of booking with BA you do not need any availability in the underlying revenue selling class for the fare (W/E/T)?

EDIT: sorry i see you have edited your post now
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
No it means you can use your GUF voucher to upgrade a WTP flight into CW as long as there is availability in the I class, but you need a valid underlying WTP booking first.
If so, then it looks like this would be an adverse change from the previous position (as I understand it), which was that if a flight is I9 T0 then you can book directly into I on the back of a valid T class fare without needing T class at that time.

Source from the main GUF thread: BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:26 am

If so, then it looks like this would be an adverse change from the previous position (as I understand it), which was that if a flight is I9 T0 then you can book directly into I on the back of a valid T class fare without needing T class at that time.

Source from the main GUF thread: BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread
I'm not sure how it works with via TAs, I've never had any experience with that. But I've been told (second hand, but reliable) that if you call BA, you need a valid underlying booking before the GUF can be applied. The rationale if quite clear for me: from a revenue management point of view it makes sense. Why would BA sell you a T ticket if there is no T available and they could make you pay for a higher bucket?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure how it works with via TAs, I've never had any experience with that. But I've been told (second hand, but reliable) that if you call BA, you need a valid underlying booking before the GUF can be applied. The rationale if quite clear for me: from a revenue management point of view it makes sense. Why would BA sell you a T ticket if there is no T available and they could make you pay for a higher bucket?
That would be perfectly clear if you were paying cash only. However, GUF and Avios involve BA giving you something that is more than you'd get if you pay in cash, and which is not a direct cash equivalent. So the pure commercial rationale is inevitably muddied here. The GUF / Avios are of value even if they are not direct cash equivalents, so BA may rationally have policies that allow booking for cash+additional payment into the higher class even when the cash-only booking would not be taken.

To take an example of which I have personal experience: The rationale would preclude BA taking a reservation in U for a UuA from a T class fare when the flight has T0. Yet I have experience of BA doing that on a reservation change rather than requiring an upfare to E class.

I don't have recent experience or recollection of whether BA would take a new UuA booking directly into U class in these circumstances, which would of course be a closer analogy: what I'm interested in is whether BA would take a new GUF booking directly into I class.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:34 pm

I don't have recent experience or recollection of whether BA would take a new UuA booking directly into U class in these circumstances, which would of course be a closer analogy: what I'm interested in is whether BA would take a new GUF booking directly into I class.
It'll probably need another data point then, but my friend was told no over the phone, for cash for T (unavailable on his flight) and I with his GUF. They did offer us to pay for W but that price wasn't in the same cricket ground...

I'm still a couple of months away from getting my first GUF2 so I'll have to wait until I can confirm first-hand.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by srbrenna

I’ll answer my own question. Avios bookings are also included. I have just upgraded a J booking made with an Amex 241 to First.

Genuine enhancement ^
Does anyone know if this new rule can also be applied retrospectively if a GUF has already been used on the booking?

The scenario is that I have a LHR-SYD return trip booked using both an Amex 241 and a GUF2 (2 pax). The outbound is in F, paying J Avios, and the inbound is currently in J paying W avios. There isn't any F award availability for the inbound but I'm wondering if I could request them to use F revenue availability instead because of this new rule - assuming it would only cost us the W->J change in Avios.

Last edited by Traveller 935; Jul 14, 2019 at 8:05 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:14 pm

Hi all,

I have a variation on this same question about underlying availability. I am holding a ticket booked before this trial using a 241+GUF2. This was booked directly into CW using a combination of both vouchers, based on WTP avios and reward availability in CW for the GUF.

My question in light of these changes is: could I cancel this booking, return my vouchers, and make a new booking that combines everything one class higheri.e. use the 241 for CW seats and then apply the GUF into A Class? And, critically, would I need underlying reward availability in CW to do this, even though I would never actually hold that part of the booking as the GUF would take it directly into A?

Thanks for your collective wisdom! Obviously I dont want to let go of my still-valuable existing ticket without some clarity.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just did this for an SYD - SIN - LHR - SIN - SYD (16, 12, 11, 15). Booked cash into WTP, called straight away and moved into CW for the SIN - LHR, LHR - SIN and SIN - SYD. No I class on the SYD - SIN but it's a day flight so no biggy being in the WTP exit row. It's another good reason to switch 16 / 12 and 11 / 15 as if we had booked 16 all the way through we wouldn't have had any I class on the whole route. Unfortunately departure date is set in stone so couldn't be flexible to get I class for SYD - SIN.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus, Hilton Diamond
Last week I did a new booking on the phone with the Bremen BA office, at the same time that I used the GUF2 for an upgrade to First on revenue class A. It took a while but we did it with no issues and got the tickets minutes after. I was not charged any fee for the booking on the phone.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by Tocsin
One data point - we had a booking in CW for DUB-LHR-YVR and return (don't flay me, I know it's not TP efficient!) and I've been looking in vain for reward availability to upgrade. Now that the new rules apply, Mrs T has last night been able to use her GUF2 to upgrade to First. Took a while on the phone, but success!
And to add - a couple of days ago a 1.80EUR refund appeared on my card. The only thing I can associate this to is the GUF2 - wierd, would have expected increased TF&C if anything
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
So.... has anyone managed to GUF an exEU holiday into rev buckets?

GGL are telling me it can only be done for tickets issued in the UK? Not exAMS issued by Bremen?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by teledude
So.... has anyone managed to GUF an exEU holiday into rev buckets?

GGL are telling me it can only be done for tickets issued in the UK? Not exAMS issued by Bremen?
holiday as in BA Holidays? That may well be true, I don't know. But I have GUF'd a revenue AMS-LHR-AMM from WT to CW without reference to redemption availability. It did have to go to the Fares team though, which took 24 hours.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But I have GUF'd a revenue AMS-LHR-AMM from WT to CW without reference to redemption availability. It did have to go to the Fares team though, which took 24 hours.
FWIW, I've recently GUFd an AMS-LHR-HKG//SYD-LHR-TXL from ET/WT+ to CE/CW on the phone with no difficulty. Rather comfortingly, this was simple enough that it didn't even need to go to fares: the total cost was exactly what I'd already worked out. The agent and I had a quick chat about how the change has rather transformed the way in which GUFs can be used; she was fully aware of what to do, although not yet well practised in doing it.
Cymro and volar like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
holiday as in BA Holidays? That may well be true, I don't know. But I have GUF'd a revenue AMS-LHR-AMM from WT to CW without reference to redemption availability. It did have to go to the Fares team though, which took 24 hours.
Yes, BA holidays. It's gone to Waterside for guidance tomorrow.

Should be interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.