Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Old Jun 28, 19, 9:58 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glasgow / London
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,358
Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Following on from the thread this morning, about a trial for improvements to reward pricing, it seems BA snuck out another change last week - one of the team on the GGL line just confirmed to me that Gold Upgrade Vouchers can now be used on all bookings made direct with BA to upgrade one cabin to T, I or A class, with no requirement for award availability. Upgrades will be automatically approved if there is revenue availability in the higher class. This is a really great change and one that Iím sure many of us will benefit from. I have ten in my account that I need to find a use for so this can only help
Filthy Monkey is offline  
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:05 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Glasgow, UK
Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Posts: 1,421
An actual genuine enhancement, Great news!
cgtechuk is online now  
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:08 am
  #3  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: N/A
Programs: Go Fish
Posts: 4,365
Why am I always sceptical when BA rolls out something like this?.... maybe they will take it away from TAs? Maybe they will enhance it to one flight segment per Guf? Donít know but it doesnít add up...
nufnuf77 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:12 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glasgow / London
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,358
Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
Why am I always sceptical when BA rolls out something like this?.... maybe they will take it away from TAs? Maybe they will enhance it to one flight segment per Guf? Donít know but it doesnít add up...
Yes, there is always a chance they will start to enforce the rules and curtail your crazy exploits, but this is still a great and genuine enhancement

Incidetnally, the same benefit has also been extended to travel agencies. Propeller, for example, can now upgrade existing bookings using a GUF, where there is revenue availability in the higher booking class.
Filthy Monkey is offline  
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:18 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Posts: 2,626
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Propeller, for example, can now upgrade existing bookings using a GUF, where there is revenue availability in the higher booking class.
If what you report in this thread is true then a large number of bookings will no longer need to go through them.
danielbk likes this.
Airprox is offline  
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:25 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: GGL/CCR etc.
Posts: 269
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
Following on from the thread this morning, about a trial for improvements to reward pricing, it seems BA snuck out another change last week - one of the team on the GGL line just confirmed to me that Gold Upgrade Vouchers can now be used on all bookings made direct with BA to upgrade one cabin to T, I or A class, with no requirement for award availability. Upgrades will be automatically approved if there is revenue availability in the higher class. This is a really great change and one that Iím sure many of us will benefit from. I have ten in my account that I need to find a use for so this can only help
This indirectly enhances jokers too.
Mixbury is offline  
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:28 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glasgow / London
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,358
For GUF bookings with underlying cash tickets, yes, but Avios bookings will still require reward availability. I donít know how this will apply to an underlying Avios booking using a GUF, but it would be great if it meant no reward availability was required!
Filthy Monkey is offline  
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:29 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glasgow / London
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,358
Originally Posted by Airprox View Post
If what you report in this thread is true then a large number of bookings will no longer need to go through them.
Yes, thatís correct, which, Iím sure Daniel will agree, is no bad thing! GUF bookings are incredibly labour intensive and even more so when changes are required.
Filthy Monkey is offline  
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:34 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON
Posts: 365
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post


Yes, thatís correct, which, Iím sure Daniel will agree, is no bad thing! GUF bookings are incredibly labour intensive and even more so when changes are required.
Indeed, I agree! Have updated the GUF info page to reflect this thread and will further update as required.

danielbk is online now  
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:35 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Posts: 1,106
wowee a great improvement really. I imagine it would push people stuck on 2300 tp to make the effort for example.
PJSMITH0 and acucobol like this.
MickV is offline  
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:46 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 1,639
I suspect I'll be pushing to hit 2500 rather than 1500 now then... and once there, what's the extra 500? Lol.
Filthy Monkey likes this.
mmxbreaks is offline  
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:55 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 758
I wonder what the position will be on upgrades to First on Boston and Dubai routes where there now is no A fare, only F?

Despite the above query, looks like a good change.
Rubecula is offline  
Old Jun 28, 19, 11:00 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: UK
Programs: BA, U2+, SK, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Posts: 2,137
Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
Why am I always sceptical when BA rolls out something like this?.... maybe they will take it away from TAs? Maybe they will enhance it to one flight segment per Guf? Donít know but it doesnít add up...
I do wonder if the experiment with the removal of A class on some routes would be extended, and if so, would that eliminate GUFs to F on said routes?

Does anyone have recent experience of using GUFs to F via a TA (or using a Joker to open award availability in F) on these routes (it was DXB and maybe BOS, canít recall exactly right now)?

Otherwise, this does seem like a good thing.
Oaxaca is online now  
Old Jun 28, 19, 7:18 pm
  #14  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: N/A
Programs: Go Fish
Posts: 4,365
Originally Posted by Oaxaca View Post


I do wonder if the experiment with the removal of A class on some routes would be extended, and if so, would that eliminate GUFs to F on said routes?

Does anyone have recent experience of using GUFs to F via a TA (or using a Joker to open award availability in F) on these routes (it was DXB and maybe BOS, canít recall exactly right now)?

Otherwise, this does seem like a good thing.
TA are unable to Guf those two routes to F at the moment - indeed I needed to do that and it just canít be done.
If this experiment spreads itís not good news
nufnuf77 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 19, 11:39 pm
  #15  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 8,726
There have been a number of recent changes with very little communication and I can't help wondering whether they are all connected and leading to an overhaul of the programme in the medium term.

I'm also wondering whether this is linked in some way to the increase in airline fees for upgrades for CW-F using GUF from the USA. Perhaps the $200 charge to use my GUFs from here will be standard across the booking process yet with the removal of the need for redemption availability? That would at least give me some value for the extra $200 whereas at the moment it makes little sense on its own.
Geordie405 likes this.
golfmad is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread