Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:23 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Posts: 3,411
Did we get any more data points as to whether the underlying cabin award is required for the original ticket if booking with Avios? e.g. do you need award availability in W before you can update that ticket to J with a GUF? I know it was asked upthread and one of my friends was told he couldn't but someone was adamant that would work without the original cabin having availability.
I may push for a GUF2 since I'll be about 300tps short for November 8...
Thanks.
alex67500 is offline  
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:30 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: E14
Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Posts: 1,298
Originally Posted by alex67500
Did we get any more data points as to whether the underlying cabin award is required for the original ticket if booking with Avios? e.g. do you need award availability in W before you can update that ticket to J with a GUF? I know it was asked upthread and one of my friends was told he couldn't but someone was adamant that would work without the original cabin having availability.
I may push for a GUF2 since I'll be about 300tps short for November 8...
Thanks.
Two recent requests:
Needs underlying Cabin redemption space
so can't go WTP redemption to J (I class available) if there is no WTP redemption space available
Can't go to 2 in F (a class) if there is only one J redemption seat available
alex67500 likes this.
E14 26C is offline  
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:33 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: E14
Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Posts: 1,298
Originally Posted by teledude
Yes, BA holidays. It's gone to Waterside for guidance tomorrow.

Should be interesting.

If they decline it, please ask them under which rule (I hope they don't but .... )
E14 26C is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:21 am
  #79  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: GGL/CCR
Posts: 1,899
Originally Posted by E14 26C
If they decline it, please ask them under which rule (I hope they don't but .... )
Do you know something?

The agent yesterday said the proposition only applies to tickets issued in the UK. Very random.
teledude is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:55 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: GGL/CCR
Posts: 1,899
GGL denied it again today - transferred me to Bremen to cancel the holiday.
Who then proceeded to process the upgrade

So I am still none the wiser
teledude is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:14 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Cheshire
Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Posts: 391
I don’t really get why you can’t mix and match. I booked a BA Holiday last month paying for WTP into CW with GUF2. I was unable to start from Manchester as there was Avios seats in CE down to Heathrow, but none on the CW flight. But there was “I” class in the CW but none on the Manchester! Even though behind the scenes they told me they still have to ‘convert, the “I” revenue into Avios to process the revenue upgrade I still wasn't allowed to utilise the avios seats on the Domestic! Bizarre really. Ended up having to start at Heathrow as did not want Y down to London. Paid for separate CE tickets. Anyhow with the additional taxes for the domestic it’s hardly worth booking into business anyhow for those legs.
cheshirepete is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:20 am
  #82  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: GGL/CCR
Posts: 1,899
Originally Posted by cheshirepete
I don’t really get why you can’t mix and match. I booked a BA Holiday last month paying for WTP into CW with GUF2. I was unable to start from Manchester as there was Avios seats in CE down to Heathrow, but none on the CW flight. But there was “I” class in the CW but none on the Manchester! Even though behind the scenes they told me they still have to ‘convert, the “I” revenue into Avios to process the revenue upgrade I still wasn't allowed to utilise the avios seats on the Domestic! Bizarre really. Ended up having to start at Heathrow as did not want Y down to London. Paid for separate CE tickets. Anyhow with the additional taxes for the domestic it’s hardly worth booking into business anyhow for those legs.
I think they make it up as they go along - my holiday booking upgrade is a mix of Avios buckets and I class.
teledude is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:25 am
  #83  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Cheshire
Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Posts: 391
Originally Posted by teledude
I think they make it up as they go along - my holiday booking upgrade is a mix of Avios buckets and I class.
Well that’s interesting, as was told not allowed and that was after asking 3 Managers apparently!
teledude likes this.
cheshirepete is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:41 am
  #84  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 30,795
Originally Posted by teledude
GGL denied it again today - transferred me to Bremen to cancel the holiday.
Who then proceeded to process the upgrade

So I am still none the wiser
GGL have always transferred me to BA Holiday teams when I've wanted to use a GUF on a BA Holiday booking (or for that matter do any other change including rebooking after cancellations or timetable changes). Are you sure this was not the problem? As others have mentioned, many of us have been able to use the upgrade to lowest revenue class for bookings from various countries and not just the UK since the change.
orbitmic is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:55 am
  #85  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gloucestershire
Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Posts: 6,236
Originally Posted by Globaliser
FWIW, I've recently GUFd an AMS-LHR-HKG//SYD-LHR-TXL from ET/WT+ to CE/CW on the phone with no difficulty. Rather comfortingly, this was simple enough that it didn't even need to go to fares: the total cost was exactly what I'd already worked out. The agent and I had a quick chat about how the change has rather transformed the way in which GUFs can be used; she was fully aware of what to do, although not yet well practised in doing it.
Me too, ex-MUC in my case, with substantial non-BA metal but all booked over the phone and upgraded in one booking.
Cymro is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:46 am
  #86  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MAN
Programs: F
Posts: 2,898
Novel use for a GUF? I had an Amex Companion Voucher booked in J. Today I phoned You First to upgrade the outbound to F. I have been charged the 25000 Avios required but the e-ticket receipt states 0 Avios plus use of one GUF.

I am not Gold.
redshift27 is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:03 pm
  #87  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 38,651
Originally Posted by redshift27
Novel use for a GUF? I had an Amex Companion Voucher booked in J. Today I phoned You First to upgrade the outbound to F. I have been charged the 25000 Avios required but the e-ticket receipt states 0 Avios plus use of one GUF.
That's a common bug, misstating GUF when it's actually an Amex voucher that's been used. So in reality, this is nothing to do with a GUF.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:34 pm
  #88  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Programs: GGL/CCR
Posts: 1,899
Originally Posted by orbitmic
GGL have always transferred me to BA Holiday teams when I've wanted to use a GUF on a BA Holiday booking (or for that matter do any other change including rebooking after cancellations or timetable changes). Are you sure this was not the problem? As others have mentioned, many of us have been able to use the upgrade to lowest revenue class for bookings from various countries and not just the UK since the change.
Nope they were not budging using I or A class, needed to be UK issued. Flight only no issue but an exEU holiday booking gets ticketed in Bremen.
teledude is offline  
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:27 am
  #89  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Posts: 170
I want to redeem my GUF2 for travel from MRU to JFK paying WTP (T class) and upgrading to Club (I class).

I have already made a booking from a local BA shop. But they are unable to use my GUF2 voucher to upgrade the booking as they say there needs to be U class availability (i.e. business award availability) for that purpose.

They are asking me for proof from a BA source to support my claim and I am unable to find any on BA website. Obviously they are unaware of the GUF2 improvements.

Can someone give me a phone number with knowledgeable BA agents?

Thank you
lall is offline  
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:35 am
  #90  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON
Posts: 384
I believe you can contact Exec Club directly and they should be able to apply a GUF to your existing booking into I class.

Let us know if it worked!

Originally Posted by lall
I want to redeem my GUF2 for travel from MRU to JFK paying WTP (T class) and upgrading to Club (I class).

I have already made a booking from a local BA shop. But they are unable to use my GUF2 voucher to upgrade the booking as they say there needs to be U class availability (i.e. business award availability) for that purpose.

They are asking me for proof from a BA source to support my claim and I am unable to find any on BA website. Obviously they are unaware of the GUF2 improvements.
alex67500 likes this.
danielbk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.