Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Old Apr 19, 2020, 9:09 am
  #166  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: BHX
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Posts: 202
Originally Posted by KARFA
I can help on this. If you want to book say LHR-JFK-LHR in club, and you have a 2-4-1 + GUF2, then you just need I class in club. No need to worry about reward availability in WTP or CW. You would pay the avios rate for WTP for one person, and the taxes/fees/charges for 2 people in club.

Once you throw in the GUF then you can take advantage of the relatively new provisions which allow booking of GUFs based on revenue selling classes, reward availability isn't needed.
Wow, thanks KARFA . Hadn't realised exactly how much this change from last year supercharges the GUFs.
Traveller 935 is offline  
Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:30 am
  #167  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LHR
Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Posts: 830
Originally Posted by KARFA
I can help on this. If you want to book say LHR-JFK-LHR in club, and you have a 2-4-1 + GUF2, then you just need I class in club. No need to worry about reward availability in WTP or CW. You would pay the avios rate for WTP for one person, and the taxes/fees/charges for 2 people in club.

Once you throw in the GUF then you can take advantage of the relatively new provisions which allow booking of GUFs based on revenue selling classes, reward availability isn't needed.
There is a subtle but important distinction with my scenario. It was my partner's Amex Companion Voucher (previously Amex 2-4-1 ) but my GUF2. So he would be making the booking then me applying the GUF2. In the end, I decided not to use the GUF2 and made the booking with by own Amex Companion Voucher with a GGL redemption.

However there may be parallels with another booking I made (which will be cancelled soon!). He used his Amex Companion Voucher for a LHR - TLV - LHR booking and we got First on the way our and Club on the way back for June, so this was an existing booking. My membership year was coming to an end and I had a GGL Redemption left that was going to go unused. BA let me apply it to the booking to upgrade the return to First, with payment of the change fee as the booking was not made by me. The GGL person was a bit perplexed that I wanted to do this until I explained the voucher would otherwise go unused.

Given the current situation, and 14 days self isolation in Israel, I am hoping BA will let me change the booking to December for LHR - EZE - LHR using his Companion Voucher and my GGL Redemption. They were helpful enough to place another booking that used last year's membership GGL Redemption to RAK "on hold" so I can use it when I have a destination and dates in mind. However this booking was made entirely under my name with standard Avios redemption.
KARFA likes this.
Jase76 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:49 am
  #168  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Posts: 1,066
I've just been told by BA call centre that I can't use a GUF1 on the same booking as an Evoucher.....

True or false?

Thanks for any help.....
HFHFFlyer is offline  
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:53 am
  #169  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 43,721
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I've just been told by BA call centre that I can't use a GUF1 on the same booking as an Evoucher.....

True or false?

Thanks for any help.....
complete bs. Call again.
KARFA is online now  
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:27 pm
  #170  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,710
Just putting a couple of GUF2 scenarios out there. Never used one before so the collective knowledge and wisdom from those in the know is much appreciated.

Looking to use a GUF2 WTP to CW on a cash ticket. Availability in WTP is T0 E0 W0. Availability in CW is I0 R0 D0 C4 J6. Am I able to invoke a GUF2 in this scenario either via a TA or via BA Gold line?

Had T0 E0 W0 shown at least 2 seats available, would I have been able to secure a Gold priority award for WTP using 2x Avios and then invoked my GUF2 to upgrade further into Club based on the above availability or would I be reliant on redemption CW availability to do this?

My other option is to just simply go for a Gold priority award in CW and keep the GUF2 for another time. Assuming C4 availability will allow me to do this via the Gold line (it's more than 30 days out until travel) but I'd sooner keep 720k Avios for something else. TIA

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Nov 4, 2021 at 10:16 pm
1Aturnleft is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:45 am
  #171  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Las Vegas
Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Posts: 16,098
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Just putting a couple of GUF2 scenarios out there. Never used one before so the collective knowledge and wisdom from those in the know is much appreciated.

Looking to use a GUF2 WTP to CW on a cash ticket. Availability in WTP is T0 E0 W0. Availability in CW is I0 R0 D0 C4 J6. Am I able to invoke a GUF2 in this scenario either via a TA or via BA Gold line?

Had T0 E0 W0 shown at least 2 seats available, would I have been able to secure a Gold priority award for WTP using 2x Avios and then invoked my GUF2 to upgrade further into Club based on the above availability or would I be reliant on redemption CW availability to do this?

My other option is to just simply go for a Gold priority award in CW and keep the GUF2 for another time. Assuming C4 availability will allow me to do this via the Gold line (it's more than 30 days out until travel) but I'd sooner keep 720k Avios for something else. TIA
I’m afraid there is no way to use an Avios redemption for this trip. You would need “I” class availability to GUF to Club, and Gold Priority Reward is only available in economy.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Tobias-UK is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:51 am
  #172  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,710
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Im afraid there is no way to use an Avios redemption for this trip. You would need I class availability to GUF to Club, and Gold Priority Reward is only available in economy.
Understood. Thanks for clarifying and for the quick response!
1Aturnleft is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:54 am
  #173  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: Some
Posts: 5,451
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Im afraid there is no way to use an Avios redemption for this trip. You would need I class availability to GUF to Club, and Gold Priority Reward is only available in economy.
I had thought a Gold Priority Reward could be used across any cabin class (excluding non-mainline such as CityFlyer)? I think it's only the additional Gold standard redemption availability that is restricted to economy (V class).
lost_in_translation is online now  
Old Nov 5, 2021, 3:23 am
  #174  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Posts: 1,439
I have used Gold Priority Reward to open up CE in the past, although it was a few years ago.
Rubecula is online now  
Old Nov 5, 2021, 3:27 am
  #175  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 43,721
I am afraid GPR and GUFs can't be used together.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ditions-of-use

Gold Priority Reward
....
7. Gold Priority Reward may not be used in conjunction with [i] Avios & Money, [ii] Gold Upgrade for One or Gold Upgrade for Two; or [iii] Avios for Upgrade or [iv] American Express Vouchers.
KARFA is online now  
Old Nov 5, 2021, 3:31 am
  #176  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 875
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
My other option is to just simply go for a Gold priority award in CW and keep the GUF2 for another time. Assuming C4 availability will allow me to do this via the Gold line (it's more than 30 days out until travel) but I'd sooner keep 720k Avios for something else. TIA
You can certainly do this (GPR works for any cabin) but its a lot of Avios!
1Aturnleft likes this.
volar is offline  
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:03 am
  #177  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,710
Originally Posted by volar
You can certainly do this (GPR works for any cabin) but its a lot of Avios!
I'm just the PA - using this site for knowledge
Gotta keep the boss happy.... and so far you're all doing a great job
alex67500 and volar like this.
1Aturnleft is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.