Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
You are right, i don't think ba.com can cope with this variation so if you want to take advantage either call and d the booking & GUF together or book the underlying fare online and call to apply the GUF.
Thanks for confirming. Hopefully BA will fix this at some point, I feel like it would reduce their manual labour quite a bit. At least for me over half of the time I spend on the phone with the GGL line is about booking GUF bookings and I'll continue to do so as I don't want to risk getting "stuck" in CW due to a sudden change in A class availability etc.

In any case a welcome enhancement.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thinking of booking a trip to New York later in the year and using a GUF2.

What would the taxes and charges be if using a GUF to upgrade from WTP to CW or CW to First?

Also, can you use a GUF when booking through BA holidays? CW would book into I and First would book as A.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
So what's the easiest way of finding out if T/I/A classes are available?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Joely
I use ExpertFlyer. Make sure you set the correct point of sale to give you accurate results.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Joely
Not the easiest but itís a free tool

Flight Availability Tool from BCD Travel (Free - no charge)
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Workie Ticket
Thinking of booking a trip to New York later in the year and using a GUF2.

What would the taxes and charges be if using a GUF to upgrade from WTP to CW or CW to First?

You can check how much extra taxes/fees/charges are required by pricing up an identical cash booking for WTP and CW, or CW to F on ba.com and checking the difference in the taxes/fees/charges shown.

Workie Ticket likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
You can check how much extra taxes/fees/charges are required by pricing up an identical cash booking for WTP and CW, or CW to F on ba.com and checking the difference in the taxes/fees/charges shown.
Thank you - just worked it out.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Following on from the thread this morning, about a trial for improvements to reward pricing, it seems BA snuck out another change last week - one of the team on the GGL line just confirmed to me that Gold Upgrade Vouchers can now be used on all bookings made direct with BA to upgrade one cabin to T, I or A class, with no requirement for award availability. Upgrades will be automatically approved if there is revenue availability in the higher class. This is a really great change and one that Iím sure many of us will benefit from. I have ten in my account that I need to find a use for so this can only help
What if the original ticket was booked with a TA, can you call BA and upgrade with GUF1/2 if a revenue inventory is available (as opposed to using a joker)?
Or is this enhancement for bookings direct with BA?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
What if the original ticket was booked with a TA, can you call BA and upgrade with GUF1/2 if a revenue inventory is available (as opposed to using a joker)?
Or is this enhancement for bookings direct with BA?
Sorry if my question is illogical. Here is some context: My TA charges a fee to apply a GUF1/2 to a booking and I wondered if I might work around it by ticketing with the TA in Club, then calling BA GGL line to upgrade to A inventory using GUF1/2 without wasting a joker.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:46 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Following on from the thread this morning, about a trial for improvements to reward pricing, it seems BA snuck out another change last week - one of the team on the GGL line just confirmed to me that Gold Upgrade Vouchers can now be used on all bookings made direct with BA to upgrade one cabin to T, I or A class, with no requirement for award availability. Upgrades will be automatically approved if there is revenue availability in the higher class. This is a really great change and one that Iím sure many of us will benefit from. I have ten in my account that I need to find a use for so this can only help
Thanks for this info. I rang gold today and was redirected to GL line who did release to A tickets so that I could upgrade open jaw to KUL and back from HKG. Really adds value to the voucher which I passed on as positive feedback. Happy bunny as there was a 7K per ticket price saving. Iíll definitely go the extra to get 2500 if this continues
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
For those who have had or currently still have a penchant for wearing UK Military uniforms does this now mean that one can book via the Defence Discount Service discounted BA fares online with BA, and then ring up BA and submit a GUF upgrade request?
If so, my next Osl Lhr Sin to Syd planned for Aug is looking very good value at a discounted GBP 2250 J up to F especially when compared with a standard Y fare from Lhr on the same acft (BA 11 & BA 15) for about GBP 1500!

OF
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by OldFruity
For those who have had or currently still have a penchant for wearing UK Military uniforms does this now mean that one can book via the Defence Discount Service discounted BA fares online with BA, and then ring up BA and submit a GUF upgrade request?
That should work, as far as I can tell. You don't have a choice about booking the Military Service fare online, since it can't be done via a Contact Centre. Then they should be able to GUF along the lines suggested by this thread. The likely issue is that the fare recalculation for taxes and fees won't be straightforward due to it being a "special" fare, but they should be able to do it manually. Worst case would be if it had to go to the Fares Team for calculation.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
One data point - we had a booking in CW for DUB-LHR-YVR and return (don't flay me, I know it's not TP efficient!) and I've been looking in vain for reward availability to upgrade. Now that the new rules apply, Mrs T has last night been able to use her GUF2 to upgrade to First. Took a while on the phone, but success!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:38 am

A couple of questions on this new policy. Trying to work out if something would work or not.

Is it still the case that if you book BA directly that you can have other airlines flights on the booking? (Specifically looking at MAD/LHR/SIN/USM return with SIN/USM Bangkok Airways, BA coded).

Also, to apply this to A class inventory, would you need to phone the BA local number or the exec club?

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Upgrades will be automatically approved if there is revenue availability in the higher class.
Apologies if I've missed this already being asked in the thread, but for clarity: Does this mean that if I want to pay a T class fare on a flight that is I9 T0, it will get booked even though there is no T class availability?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.