Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Improvements to Gold Upgrade Voucher bookings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
No, it does not work in my case. In fact the request to me for proof that GUF rules have improved emanates from BAEC India. They are not aware of this!
This is why I am asking for a telephone number that has successfully done this upgrade.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by lall
No, it does not work in my case. In fact the request to me for proof that GUF rules have improved emanates from BAEC India. They are not aware of this!
This is why I am asking for a telephone number that has successfully done this upgrade.
Hang up and call again.

If you get the same response, ask for a supervisor.

In their defence, however, the T&Cs for GUFs on BA.com do still have the "subject to reward capacity" wording.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Hang up and call again.
If you get the same response, ask for a supervisor.
In their defence, however, the T&Cs for GUFs on BA.com do still have the "subject to reward capacity" wording.
I can't afford to spend another small fortune on long distance calls to BAEC and wait for nearly half an hour for someone to pick up (even on dedicated Gold lines)

So your suggestion does not work for me. A number, and if possible, with specific person's name would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

So your suggestion does not work for me.
Then go without.

The only other contacts would be the GGL team, who wouldn't deal with you as you're not GGL and would direct you to the Gold line.

So either Skype BA Gold line, or give up. Or email customer relations asking for clarification on the rules.
golfmad likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
I'm just going to pop in with a couple of points and suggestions to help you with your issue and expectations:

I can't afford to spend another small fortune on long distance calls to BAEC and wait for nearly half an hour for someone to pick up (even on dedicated Gold lines)
You can afford thousands for the airfare but cannot afford the phone call? Get a Skype account and call the freephone number. https://www.britishairways.com/trave...b/public/en_gb has loads of numbers, and if you log into your account you will get the 0800 Gold number.

So your suggestion does not work for me. A number, and if possible, with specific person's name would be much appreciated.
You are not going to get the name and number of a specific person to speak to to handle your booking. You could email the Executive Club and ask them to send the information? How long ago did you book? Can you cancel and rebook with someone who knows what they are doing?
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm slightly astonished that anyone who is BA Gold hasn't got Skype, or another VOIP provider, installed on their mobile phone or tablet or laptop. Even if using 3g or 4G data then it's going to be cheaper than many alternatives, and on wifi it's near enough free. If a BT customer they too have an an App that allows calls to be made at the same amount as the home landline.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm slightly astonished that anyone who is BA Gold hasn't got Skype, or another VOIP provider, installed on their mobile phone or tablet or laptop. Even if using 3g or 4G data then it's going to be cheaper than many alternatives, and on wifi it's near enough free. If a BT customer they too have an an App that allows calls to be made at the same amount as the home landline.
I’m BA gold and don’t have either.... I just call any number I want... but I am not the one who pays my mobile phone bills 😉
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40

I’m BA gold and don’t have either.... I just call any number I want... but I am not the one who pays my mobile phone bills 😉
Weird flex, but ok.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
Textbook definition of a first world problem.
Use Skype to call, pay 0p per minute, apply GUF. Delete Skype and back to luddism using mobile voice.

​​​​​​​
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: Meh
This is indeed a massive enhancement and will push me to get 2500 tier points again this year.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
direct them to the BA Trade site:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...d-card-upgrade
GinFizz likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
I want to redeem my GUF2 for travel from MRU to JFK paying WTP (T class) and upgrading to Club (I class).

I have already made a booking from a local BA shop.

Originally Posted by Physci
And just to add to that useful information from Physci, the key point you shoul highlight when you talk with either your travel agent or BA is in the "How it works" section, where it now says " Customers can use vouchers to upgrade to the next cabin only on new and existing bookings. An ADM will be issued if the upgrade is for more than 1 cabin. " (added bold emphasis is mine - not in the original), as well as the comments in the "Booking and ticketing instructions" section, where it states that "paid for Word Traveller Plus" requires CW "I" availability.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:40 am

Right - I'm sorry for asking what might seem like a brutally easy question, but I'm read the thread, I've read the main GUF thread and I'm still confused as to the exact situation.

I have a CW flight booked through a TA (expedia in this case since it was the only place I could find the fare). I'd like to apply the GUF2 (but just for me - won't use it otherwise).

Am I right in thinking that:
  1. I can do this directly with BA since it is an existing booking (I won't have a hope in hell in getting expedia to do it)
  2. I just need A class availability in F
?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:43 am

Just a quick update on my request to BA to apply the GUF upgrade to my reservation on WTP.
BA got back to me asking for evidence of the new policy.
I just sent them the website link of executive traveller on a recent article that this is possbible
( https://www.executivetraveller.com/b...-guf2-vouchers

and today I got an email from BA approving my GUF and quoting me additional taxes (from WTP to CW) so that they can issue the tickets.

All is well that ends well.
Physci and ubiest like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by MPH1980
Right - I'm sorry for asking what might seem like a brutally easy question, but I'm read the thread, I've read the main GUF thread and I'm still confused as to the exact situation.

I have a CW flight booked through a TA (expedia in this case since it was the only place I could find the fare). I'd like to apply the GUF2 (but just for me - won't use it otherwise).

Am I right in thinking that:
  1. I can do this directly with BA since it is an existing booking (I won't have a hope in hell in getting expedia to do it)
  2. I just need A class availability in F
?
Answering my own questions - 1) yes and 2) yes.

REALLY easy process. I took a chance having re-read the threads and called BA. Rang gold line - explained what I wanted - agent did some extra security since it's a TA booking, checked for A class, nabbed the seats (which made me panic as the a class availability disappeared with it when I refreshed EF!) and then went off to fares to get tax difference before offering to re-ticket without me on the phone.

Agent knew exactly the rules and said she did want to double check because the offering "keeps changing".

Shame I won't make it to 2500 in the future (change of job) - as these vouchers are great.
Lefly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.