Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Chammer
Forgive me if this has already been asked. I am looking to book an Avios saver fare for a CE flight next spring. Am I able to use a previous BA compensation cash voucher to pay the taxes? Thanks
Hi. I am not sure if it is explicitly prohibited, but when doing a reward booking there doesn't seem to be anywhere to put in an e-voucher number.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Hi. I am not sure if it is explicitly prohibited, but when doing a reward booking there doesn't seem to be anywhere to put in an e-voucher number.
I was looking at the T&C on them as I got one for fare difference on some flights I booked a few days ago, I think it said they can only be used for standard flights and not extras (I was hoping to use for a POUG). Might be worth having a look again to see the exact wording.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by flashware
I was looking at the T&C on them as I got one for fare difference on some flights I booked a few days ago, I think it said they can only be used for standard flights and not extras (I was hoping to use for a POUG). Might be worth having a look again to see the exact wording.
That seems to be the case. However one thing I learnt and doing a bit of searching is that you can apparently give an e-voucher to someone else!

Using your eVoucher

You can use an eVoucher in full or part payment of flight bookings on ba.com or through your local British Airways contact centre.

You will be asked to quote the eVoucher number and name when you make a flight booking with us, so please keep this information to hand.

On ba.com, just click the link, 'Got a promotion code or eVoucher?' on the 'Price' page, when you make a booking, and enter your eVoucher number and name.

You can give your eVoucher to someone else if you want to, just remember that they will need the eVoucher number and name details, and it can only be used once.

Originally Posted by Chammer
Forgive me if this has already been asked. I am looking to book an Avios saver fare for a CE flight next spring. Am I able to use a previous BA compensation cash voucher to pay the taxes? Thanks
Unfortunately not.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...s/public/en_gbTerms and Conditions
  1. The eVoucher is valid until the expiry date shown and is not renewable.
  2. It can be used when purchasing British Airways flight tickets through our contact centres or on ba.com, with the exception of tickets purchased using Avios or On Business points.
All travel on British Airways is subject to British Airways General Conditions of Carriage.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:28 am

Anyone know if it is possible to change a return (2-4-1) booking to open-jaw at a later date?

e.g. book as LHR-PVG-LHR, but later change to LHR-PVG, NRT-LHR (same zones) if availability permits?

Do I need to book as two one-ways LHR-PVG, PVG-LHR to make sure this would be possible?

Many thanks
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mttrnd
Anyone know if it is possible to change a return (2-4-1) booking to open-jaw at a later date?

e.g. book as LHR-PVG-LHR, but later change to LHR-PVG, NRT-LHR (same zones) if availability permits?

Do I need to book as two one-ways LHR-PVG, PVG-LHR to make sure this would be possible?

Many thanks
hi. As they are the same zone that should be fine. You can do it as a return booking and then do the change to that. Change fee would be £35 per person.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
Hello, apologies if this is a really basic question, but I get really funky pricing on a redemption I am looking to book to DUS. I suspect it has something to do with peak / offpeak pricing, however, the amount of Avios charged does not tally with the table which is included at the top of this thread.

Looking to book:
One way LHR - DUS / 25 July 2019. Plenty of flights available. The pricing I get for Economy is 8000 Avios + £ 0.50 fees.

I booked the same flight a few weeks ago but for a departure in Economy inOctober and at the time I paid 4,500 Avios + £ 17.50 fees - that's the standard price I would expect and is the same I would pay for my redemptions to Munich.

Out of interest I tried to book a redemption flight for an offpeak time in September and that quotes 7,500 Avios + £ 0.50 fees.

Have the Avios rates gone up, have I missed any well-publicised facts about Avios changes or am I doing something completely wrong? I realise that the fees have been reduced, but to nearly double the amount of Avios required for the same journey seems excessive.

Thanks very much for any advice (or admonishment, if I didn't read the thread properly).

Edit: I just double-checked, I booked my October flight to DUS on 11th of June and paid 4,000 Avios plus £ 17.50.

Last edited by Inselhuepfer; Jul 17, 2019 at 5:03 am Reason: Wrong Avios
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer
Hello, apologies if this is a really basic question, but I get really funky pricing on a redemption I am looking to book to DUS. I suspect it has something to do with peak / offpeak pricing, however, the amount of Avios charged does not tally with the table which is included at the top of this thread.

Looking to book:
One way LHR - DUS / 25 July 2019. Plenty of flights available. The pricing I get for Economy is 8000 Avios + £ 0.50 fees.

I booked the same flight a few weeks ago but for a departure in Economy inOctober and at the time I paid 4,500 Avios + £ 17.50 fees - that's the standard price I would expect and is the same I would pay for my redemptions to Munich.

Out of interest I tried to book a redemption flight for an offpeak time in September and that quotes 7,500 Avios + £ 0.50 fees.

Have the Avios rates gone up, have I missed any well-publicised facts about Avios changes or am I doing something completely wrong? I realise that the fees have been reduced, but to nearly double the amount of Avios required for the same journey seems excessive.

Thanks very much for any advice (or admonishment, if I didn't read the thread properly).

Edit: I just double-checked, I booked my October flight to DUS on 11th of June and paid 4,000 Avios plus £ 17.50.
i think this thread will answer your question Reward Flight Savers priced from £1 - trial begins 16 July 2019

new avois pricing has been introduced yesterday.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer

Looking to book:

New Avios pricing was introduced yesterday, see here for more details: Reward Flight Savers priced from £1 - trial begins 16 July 2019

You are still able to pay a similar rate to before, but the "baseline" has changed.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: KARFA beat me to it!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
Thank you very much, Karfa and Wilsnunn, that has definitely helped. I can now also see that I can still pay 4,500 Avios plus £ 15.50, which works for me!

Tsk tsk tsk, is you don't check Flyertalk just for one day, something gets by you.... :-)

Thanks again!
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
I have a reservation made before the recent Avios increase for partners on JAL, will changing the dates (same route) trigger an additional payment of Avios according to the new rates?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:20 pm

Hey all

Very new to getting the most of my avios.

I have about 130,000 avios (I appreciate is very little on here) and would love hear suggestions on how best to spend them. There is my wife, my young daughter and myself.

We would be happy to take a connecting flight to Europe if this would give us better options.

We love the far east, south Africa, or maybe some nice islands, but are very open to suggestions.

Cheers in advance
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:27 pm

Help Please!!!

Hi guys. I’m looking at flying DUB-JFK & return via LHR, out 23 Nov & back 28th.

World traveller plus is pricing at €1520 return for 2. Both of the long haul flights are showing Avios availability into Club World BA176 & BA176. But when I try the “book & upgrade” option online it’s quoting over €2200 for the same flights.

I know there’s a tax increase but why is the upgrade costing over €700? Am I doing something wrong?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Hi guys. I’m looking at flying DUB-JFK & return via LHR, out 23 Nov & back 28th.

World traveller plus is pricing at €1520 return for 2. Both of the long haul flights are showing Avios availability into Club World BA176 & BA176. But when I try the “book & upgrade” option online it’s quoting over €2200 for the same flights.

I know there’s a tax increase but why is the upgrade costing over €700? Am I doing something wrong?
It's possible that the 1520 EUR fare books in a bucket that can't be upgraded, so to book and upgrade it has to look at a higher fare bucket.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
World traveller plus is pricing at €1520 return for 2.
Presumably you mean €760 per person? Fares are usually pretty meaningless in anything other than amounts per person.

The answer is almost certainly DIF - for the meaning and import of which you can do a quick search.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA
Open jawed pricing

I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction. I’m trying to price up an open jawed redemption using an Amex 2 for 1 voucher. Is it just the sum of the two single flights (Avios plus taxes) or is there another formula/method?
Thank you in anticipation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.