Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Reward Flight Savers priced from £1 - trial begins 16 July 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

From today's press release:
British Airways - BRITISH AIRWAYS EXECUTIVE CLUB EXTENDS £1 REWARD FLIGHT FARE TO UK AND EUROPE

BRITISH AIRWAYS EXECUTIVE CLUB EXTENDS £1 REWARD FLIGHT FARE TO UK AND EUROPE

Tuesday 16 July, London – British Airways Executive Club Members can now book a reward flight using Avios and pay as little as £1 return. With the trial starting today, the new Avios pricing options can be redeemed on flights in the UK and Europe.

The additional Avios options follows a successful trial in May on select European destinations. With the new option, Members can fly* to destinations such as Edinburgh or Venice for only £1 and 16,000 and 22,000 Avios respectively. For these same destinations, flying return, customers with a lower Avios balance have the option to use 9,000 Avios and pay £31 to Edinburgh and 15,000 Avios and £35 to Venice.

Niall Rooney, British Airways’ Loyalty Manager said: “We’re always looking for ways to give our Executive Club customers more options to redeem their Avios. Trialing £1 Reward Flight Saver prices means Members can explore the UK and Europe on very little cash and use more Avios. It’s easy to join Executive Club, sign up for free and start collecting Avios.”

To book a Reward Flight Saver ticket, customers need to have collected at least one Avios in the last 12 months. British Airways is testing this pricing option in addition to the previous flat rate of £35 for taxes, fees and carrier charges along with the Avios needed for their destination.

Avios can be collected on flights with British Airways and its oneworld® partner airlines. Customers can then spend Avios on flights, upgrades, hotels, car hire and other travel rewards. As well as reward flights customer can choose Avios Part Payment – reducing the cash amount paid on flights. When using Avios Part Payment, customers can pick from a range of savings by destination and cabin. Members will still collect Avios and Tier Points on these bookings. Avios can also be collected on a range of travel, shopping and lifestyle partners including hotels, car hire, parking and currency exchange.

ENDS

*Based on return flights during peak in Euro Traveller
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Will no doubt trigger a few Avios purists, but it's a good initiative. Plenty of business travellers pick up points without really being able to use them, so if availability is reasonable they'll be delighted with a few more or less free flights for a weekend away.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
How does 9k + £31 to EDI work, compared with the previous option of 9k + £35? Are they giving us a discount? Or is that for off-peak dates when a normal redemption would be 8k + £35? In which case, you're paying 1k for £4, which shouldn't be a good option in anybody's book...
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There is an article about this on ead for Points

Raffles suggests checking as to how much BA are valuing the avios in these fares.

Some people don't value their avios in quite so a minute manner.

Personally I'd also compare these against the part pay with avios option where you'd still get the avios and TPs

As always with these offers YMMV
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
How does 9k + £31 to EDI work, compared with the previous option of 9k + £35? Are they giving us a discount? Or is that for off-peak dates when a normal redemption would be 8k + £35? In which case, you're paying 1k for £4, which shouldn't be a good option in anybody's book...
Just checked a one way LCY-GLA which I was looking to book anyway in August ;

£0.50 + 8,000 Avios
£15.50 + 4,500 Avios
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Here's an example of the new RFS price options available for LHR-MAD, travelling on off-peak dates in Club Europe. Note, previously this cost 25,500 Avios plus £50.00, so this represents a 20 bob increase

Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Off peak NCL-LHR RFS

Not sure I will be buying at these Avios valuations, but more options always good
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I wonder how this will impact AMEX 2-4-1 voucher bookings (for those who use them on RFS instead of longer haul flights).
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I wonder how this will impact AMEX 2-4-1 voucher bookings (for those who use them on RFS instead of longer haul flights).
For the moment, it seems that they are sticking as they were before and the new pricing is not reflected when trying to use the AMEX 2-4-1.

Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:27 am
dnw

There are two hidden issues here that make me think this is a change for the worse for many of us.

1) On routes where tax was lower than RFS fee, you previously had the option to pay the fixed Avios price and the actual tax. This is now gone. E.g. have just priced PMI-LCY which used to be 6500/7500+£9.70, now it is 6500/7500+£17 just like the outbound. Hidden price increase.

2) Refunds. When you used to have the flat rate and the option to pay reduced Avios for more cash, the cancellation fee was always capped at the amount of the taxes and the additional cash paid to reduce the Avios element was always refunded. E.g. continuing the example above, PMI-LCY was 6,500 + £9.70 off peak but you could reduce this to 2,150 + £35 + £9.70 (and effectively buy Avios from BA at 0.8p) and if subsequently cancelled the fee was capped at the amount of the taxes, £9.70 and you got the 'cash' element back in full. I have a feeling cancelling one of these will result in a £35 fee whenever more than that has been spent, which obviously makes the higher Avios/lower cash options more attractive, but as we know these are at a value of less than 0.5p/avios spent.

As someone that books 50 of these a year it's a big negative impact for me personally.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Described as a ‘trial’, so should be interesting to see how things pan out and whether it is subsequently retained, dropped, or revised. I suspect the latter (though time will tell)

Will be welcomed by some, no doubt.

But - as with so many new Avios options announced by BA - it sounds very much like a case of devil-in-the-detail .... a curate’s egg ....... caveat emptor ....... and all that usual stuff
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
My most used RFS is LCY-NCE off-peak - was the standard 4000 Avios/£17.50 each way and now for the same number of Avios, the cash component has gone down to £15.50 ^ Off to book my next batch of RFS

Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The quick way to find out the lowest "priced" option is to use 1p per Avios, or add the pound figure to the hundreds of Avios figure. There is some scope for argument on this, it is subjective.

So to take Irreverent Medusa's example above, the lowest option cash wise is 75 hundred Avios and fifty pence = £75.50. The original cost - or the nearest one to it - is 40 hundred Avios and £15.50 = £55.50, so represents better value for money on this calculation, and would be the one I would go for here, as she indicates in her post above. I may be tempted by the 2950 Avios version if I could be sure of getting better value for money for the Avios saved in the future, so typically a UuA.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Great folk have choices. But in all honesty the weak point in the system was never RFS to Europe. It’s long haul where a solely Y pax (by far the largest demographic (obv not on flyertalk) is getting totally shafted by the Executive Club.

It’s barely believable but the following example is likely to be the route a typical price conscious traveller would experience with Avios and the Executive Club
  1. A sale gets there attention and they book a great value return fare to NYC for £295
  2. During the journey they learn about the Exec Club (via airport notifications, onboard announcements or the inflight mag)
  3. They join the Exec Club and feel loyal to BA
  4. They ensure they always fly BA
  5. They eventually have made 24 return flights to NYC on BA and have probably spent more than they otherwise would as they no longer choose the cheapest fare. It’s OK to spend a little more on BA as I’m earning miles.
  6. Customer now has enough miles to book a return economy trip to NYC - not before time!
But wait, although the current sale has every date open during month X there are only 2 days you can use your miles.
So then the booking is made, at a less than optimum time and BA charge the customer £80 more in taxes than a revenue flight would have cost and they take away 40,000 of the 41,520 that poor customer earned on those previous 24 return flights to NYC.

Bargain!

Last edited by kingcole974; Jul 16, 2019 at 10:52 am
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
A fool and his Avios are easily parted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.