Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 1:46 pm

Using the companion voucher are the Taxes, fees and charges the same for every USA destination in First Thanks
Old May 10, 2019, 3:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbah
Using the companion voucher are the Taxes, fees and charges the same for every USA destination in First Thanks
Yes but I don't think the variation is that great across the US - possibly a bit more to the west coast than the east coast. i don't think there are any "sweet spots" if that's what you are after.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:10 pm

Thank you, it's just I thought they were high for Houston, £667.22 per person.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by bubbah
Thank you, it's just I thought they were high for Houston, £667.22 per person.
Exactly the same charge for LAX and JFK, two of the longest and shortest respectively. A whopping £400 of that is the evil YQ fuel surcharge. That said, having checked, AF charge £390 and their total tax (starting from LON) is the same. APD for all journeys is £172.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Is anyone having issues booking AA reward flights?

I get "Sorry, we have been unable to complete your transaction at this time." after I submit my credit card details.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
Question - I need two qualifying flights, partner needs 4, by 8 June. We are planning to go to RAK, either 3 or 4 June to 7 or 8 June. There is little room for error here, so before I booked anything I wanted to check with the hive mind

I found flights on Google Flights for £336 each in business, LHR-RAK via MAD, the segments to and from MAD on the widebodies - BA on the 777 and IB on the 346 - with IB both ways to MAD-RAK. However, I can only book these on Expedia - BA keeps defaulting me through LGW and on Iberia the price spikes to double. If I book through Expedia do they still count as the four segments needed or is this an instance where " agency or industry discounted bookings do not qualify" as per the rules? All flights are either BA or IB flight numbers and metal.

Thank you!
Old May 12, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
They count as normal.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
Great - thank you for responding so quickly!
Old May 14, 2019, 4:33 am

Is it possible to Pay for Premium (and upgrade to Club) but fly back in Economy? I sleep the same in both classes, so would rather save a few hundred to spend on the holiday given there are a few of us .

I can't see how on the website - I haven't tried to phone. Thanks!
Old May 14, 2019, 4:47 am

You can do a cash booking for premium out and economy back on ba.com if it’s a simple return. Then you can call to upgrade with avios for the outbound up to club , subject to reward availability.
Sailbot3310 likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Or you can just call to book the whole thing in one go.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
(i think) I'm sure that departing from JER or INV on Biz redemptions used to result in a significant reduction in overall charges due to the lack of APD.
But looking at some flights today it seems BA have increased their own charges to negate this saving?
i.e. BA charges from LHR £306, from JER or INV almost £100 more for the same destination.
Is this new to have variable BA fees?
Old May 15, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Could anyone advise when Cathay release award availability to BA?
Old May 16, 2019, 1:31 am

Apologies for cutting in here. Please can someone correct me if I'm wrong with regards to avios upgrades:
  1. I check that there is reward availability on the days I wish to travel
  2. If yes, I then purchase my flight on BA.com in the cabin below the one I wish to travel in
  3. Then I upgrade using my avios (online?)
Thanks.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by bluegreen2
Apologies for cutting in here. Please can someone correct me if I'm wrong with regards to avios upgrades:
  1. I check that there is reward availability on the days I wish to travel
  2. If yes, I then purchase my flight on BA.com in the cabin below the one I wish to travel in
  3. Then I upgrade using my avios (online?)
Thanks.
doing a UuA online is a bit unreliable. Tbh you are better either calling to do 3, or calling and doing 2 + 3 together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.