Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I wouldn't hold your breath. Problems caused by married sector logic and/or phantom availability, or reservation requests that won't confirm for some other reason, are pretty common on airline websites and reservation systems. There's nothing unusual about the situation you encountered.
Whilst I agree because I've had issues like that before, it doesn't mean that we should put up with it. If I transferred a load of points from one program to another which I don't really care about, only to find out that it was phantom availability, I'd be royally p'd off.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by alex67500
Whilst I agree because I've had issues like that before, it doesn't mean that we should put up with it.
In an ideal world, it shouldn't happen. But the real world is what it is, and that may have an effect on whether the BBB or any other regulator is likely to get you any satisfaction.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
Whilst I agree because I've had issues like that before, it doesn't mean that we should put up with it. If I transferred a load of points from one program to another which I don't really care about, only to find out that it was phantom availability, I'd be royally p'd off.
exactly my point.

a few years ago I had Hyatt points. I was trying to book Paris Vendome. I forget the exact details but if X room
type was available to purchase with cash, then you could also use points. Well, it wouldn’t work. I called various times and no one could book it. They said it was blocked out. (It was fashion week, but still, the rules state if x room cash was available, points can be used).

filed BBB complaint. I actually got a response within a few days and a phone call from someone in power at Hyatt relations. She was able to book me using the points. So yes, it is possible that a BBB complaint will get you somewhere.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by LRD
I think I may have found the problem: Today, I cannot find any JL intra-Japan flights - any date, any route. So, perhaps the links to JL are broken - or, they're preparing for the upcoming partner-redemption changes.
Neither there are any MH seats anywhere. Think it’s the usual BA tactics in withholding award seats till the new charts come out.
Old May 31, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: BA
is there a rule of thumb on how many days/weeks/months there can be between segments on an itinerary? brazil bans carrier-imposed surcharges, so if i intend to fly GRU-JFK on AA, could i use that to my advantage and tack on flights i intend to take later such as JFK-LHR on BA/AA without any surcharges? it is my understanding that any itinerary that begins in brazil does not have surcharges, so maybe i could fly GRU-JFK and JFK-LHR days/weeks(?)/months(?) later without any surcharges. if this is possible, what are the downsides?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K
Avios upgrade on BA metal/AA codeshare

Apologies if this has been asked already in the thread, but couldn't find a similar query. I'm not that familiar with BAEC, so didn't 100% follow the guide up top. I have an upcoming trip later this year that I booked through AA...two of the legs are on BA metal, the first is EWR-LHR on a BA 777 but is booked as an AA codeshare. I have a BA record locator and can pull up the reservation on the BA website. When I click "upgrade with Avios" I'm told I can't do this online. My question is...in theory should I be able to upgrade this ticket (CW to first) with Avios, or does the AA codeshare (or something else) kill its upgradability? If it's upgradeable, should I call BA to do so, or is there another way I should go about it? Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wjbesh
Apologies if this has been asked already in the thread, but couldn't find a similar query. I'm not that familiar with BAEC, so didn't 100% follow the guide up top. I have an upcoming trip later this year that I booked through AA...two of the legs are on BA metal, the first is EWR-LHR on a BA 777 but is booked as an AA codeshare. I have a BA record locator and can pull up the reservation on the BA website. When I click "upgrade with Avios" I'm told I can't do this online. My question is...in theory should I be able to upgrade this ticket (CW to first) with Avios, or does the AA codeshare (or something else) kill its upgradability? If it's upgradeable, should I call BA to do so, or is there another way I should go about it? Thanks!
i think regardless of the combination of AA/BA marketed and operated flights, you won’t be able to do any upgrades with avios on this booking. The booking needs to be on a BA ticket (starting 125-....). If you booked with AA it will be on an AA issued ticket starting (001-...).

have a look at post 6 of the TP time thread where there is a summary of what can and can’t be upgraded with avios.
wjbesh likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: Avios
anybody canceled a flight bought in promotion last year for 50% avios? it shows me a 100% refund of avios; they correct it?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I've always been refunded the actual amount paid (as expected).
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:03 pm

update on my EWR to RNO dilemma. No word back yet from BA or the BBB ( besides complaint submitted ).

that said, I randomly have been checking AA.com for a 25k option for the EWR-DFW-RNO route to no avail. This morning I got an email on my previously booked tickets (separate itineraries, EWR-DFW, then DFW-RNO) that the EWR-DFW flight changed times from 515am to 509am. Randomly thinking about the flight time change and decided to see if milesAAver was available on AA.com and sure enough it popped up! Of course with the Avios increases I was slightly short (needed 7400 more Avios) to book the new 44k Avios fare.

I reluctantly transferred 6k UR points (1:1.3 ratio still). Checked out thru BA.com and bingo! got a confirmation for EWR to RNO for 44k Avios + $5.60. Pasted the conf number into AA.com and chose my seats. I will call AA shortly to have them add my AA mileage number to the reservation so I can see it in my app.

Ended up costing me more points than originally advertised plus an extra $5.60 (due to the separate itinerary tickets), but I still was able to save UR points than what it would've costed via United. Spent 68k UR points and $16.80 versus the 100k UR and $11.20 that it would've costed for a similar United flight.
Globaliser and guv1976 like this.

Last edited by alanisrox69; Jun 9, 2019 at 8:11 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 2:17 pm

I got a response from my BBB complaint. BA credited my Avios account with 8k Avios which was the difference in the ultimately booked trip vs the 'originally advertised' trip. (88k vs 80k).

I did email them back and asked about the additional $5.60 ticket cost. hey, it's worth a shot!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:21 am

Does it make a difference with regard to seat selection whether you book with Avios or cash? I'm oneworld Ruby and flying international longhaul business GRU-LHR with Avios and it won't let me choose a seat. Surprised by that. You would think any elite member flying longhaul business with miles would be able to choose a seat.... is it any different with cash?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wiivile
Does it make a difference with regard to seat selection whether you book with Avios or cash? I'm oneworld Ruby and flying international longhaul business GRU-LHR with Avios and it won't let me choose a seat. Surprised by that. You would think any elite member flying longhaul business with miles would be able to choose a seat.... is it any different with cash?
there shouldn’t be any difference. OWR can only select for free within 7 days of the flight tho, is that the issue for you?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by KARFA

there shouldn’t be any difference. OWR can only select for free within 7 days of the flight tho, is that the issue for you?
Yes, but flight not until January. After some research I now see that this is normal for BA but a common point of confusion/disappointment for oneworld people who don't fly BA metal often. Not many airlines charge for seat selection in business class, or elite members, and particularly elite members flying business class. I think the only time seat selection differs on Avios vs cash is the question of 'basic economy/hand baggage only' fares - Avios are, for now, never 'basic economy' fares.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:51 am

I’m sure this has been asked ad nauseum but I can’t find the answer.

Im looking at flights from LHR-SFO/SJC for May next year. They’re currently around 1700 direct in Club World. But I want to add on a couple of nights hotel so I only have to put down a deposit.

According to BA.com there are reward seats in F around the dates I’m looking at but how do I know what business fare class it’ll book into on BA hols & if the flights can be upgraded to F?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.