Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 12:23 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA

how much were the taxes/fees/charges? £0 can cause issues completing online.
~ $3.73
Old May 28, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by alanisrox69
Point is: BA.com is advertising the EWR-RNO route as 80k available. It is only after transferring points that suddenly there is a "glitch" showing "non-available" seats.
I'd lay a small wager that this is not shown only after transferring points. It was probably exactly the same before you transferred the points. It's probably showing exactly the same thing to those who've never ever contemplated transferring points and whose Avios all come from (say) flying. It really doesn't help to be making wild allegations beyond what actually happened.

Are you actually interested in being helped to solve your problem, now that we know what it is, or do you just want to vent?
Old May 28, 2019, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I'd lay a small wager that this is not shown only after transferring points. It was probably exactly the same before you transferred the points. It's probably showing exactly the same thing to those who've never ever contemplated transferring points and whose Avios all come from (say) flying. It really doesn't help to be making wild allegations beyond what actually happened.

Are you actually interested in being helped to solve your problem, now that we know what it is, or do you just want to vent?
It showed the flight before I transferred points, yes. But now that I transferred them and can't get them back, I can't book the ADVERTISED flight.

Also, I called BA EC and tried to book separate legs and he said it's not possible, the 2nd leg is on "waitlist" and blocked from booking. (again, even tho AA.com reflect plenty of open seats - at least 2 for the sAAver award).

I am interested in being helped, what is your suggestion? Thanks.

Last edited by alanisrox69; May 28, 2019 at 6:53 pm
Old May 29, 2019, 3:20 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by LRD
Anyone have any suggestions for the "Sorry, we have been unable to complete your transaction at this time." message?

I'm getting this when trying to book intra-Japan JL flights (with tons of availability).

I've tried different credit cards, phone numbers & address formats, with/without EC membership number, etc.

The only thing "different" I can think of is that I transferred UR points into my account this morning, but they instantly showed up. And, I've done this transfer/immediate redemption before without issue.
I think I may have found the problem: Today, I cannot find any JL intra-Japan flights - any date, any route. So, perhaps the links to JL are broken - or, they're preparing for the upcoming partner-redemption changes.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am interested in being helped, what is your suggestion?
Can you go a day before, or a day after? Can you fly from another NYC area airport? The results returned by aa.com suggest that there is availability if you can be a little flexible.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Can you go a day before, or a day after? Can you fly from another NYC area airport? The results returned by aa.com suggest that there is availability if you can be a little flexible.
a different airport yes, but it needs to be on 9/26. PHL would actually be preferred.
Old May 29, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the same day (26 September), one approach would be to fly AA1150 EWR-DFW and then have a long break before flying AA1873 DFW-RNO. Because of AA's approach to married sectors, you might need to redeem these on two separate tickets, but then you'd have plenty of margin in case something goes wrong.

aa.com also says that there's a mixed cabin award on AA2340 PHL-DFW and AA1223 DFW-RNO, but you'd have to see whether AA would let BA have that space and ticket it.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:00 am

Yea, I saw that 1873, but that's like 12 hour layover. haha. And I arrive the next day to Reno. No bueno.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Yea, I saw that 1873, but that's like 12 hour layover. haha. And I arrive the next day to Reno. No bueno.
Do you have status with oneworld through any airline FFP? Even a lowly oneworld Ruby like me gets free same-day standby on AA. You could book the later DFW-RNO flight, and then stand by for an earlier one.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Do you have status with oneworld through any airline FFP? Even a lowly oneworld Ruby like me gets free same-day standby on AA. You could book the later DFW-RNO flight, and then stand by for an earlier one.
no, sorry, but thanks for the idea. I have no Status. I'm really a faithful United flyer, so only have status there -- I only jumped at this AA flight because Chase UR was offering 30% extra points for transferring to Avios. the same departure and arrival airports for United would've been 100k UR points (only diff was the connection was thru Denver), this AA flight would've only costed 62k (well slightly less, but you need to transfer in 1k increments) 62k x 1.3 = 80,600 Avios. Still a savings of 38k UR or enough for round trip saver coach on United (!!!). Too bad it didn't work out and I got burned. Waiting on my BBB complaint to come back. I doubt they will do anything, but I also blasted them on Twitter. Considering writing to the local news -- they're always looking to expose company's fraudulent tactics. Maybe I'll get some movement that way....
Old May 29, 2019, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
no, sorry, but thanks for the idea. I have no Status. I'm really a faithful United flyer, so only have status there -- I only jumped at this AA flight because Chase UR was offering 30% extra points for transferring to Avios. the same departure and arrival airports for United would've been 100k UR points (only diff was the connection was thru Denver), this AA flight would've only costed 62k (well slightly less, but you need to transfer in 1k increments) 62k x 1.3 = 80,600 Avios. Still a savings of 38k UR or enough for round trip saver coach on United (!!!). Too bad it didn't work out and I got burned. Waiting on my BBB complaint to come back. I doubt they will do anything, but I also blasted them on Twitter. Considering writing to the local news -- they're always looking to expose company's fraudulent tactics. Maybe I'll get some movement that way....
Well, if you're stuck with 80,000 Avios, take a look at BA's and IB's redemption charts for award travel on AA. (BA's chart is changing tomorrow, but most of the increases are small.) If you open and fund an Iberia Plus account with even one Avios, then after 90 days you should be able to transfer Avios from BA to IB, and vice versa. You might still get good value from those Avios on a different trip in the future.

At the moment, IB has a systems issue that prevents booking AA award flights, but that should be resolved -- eventually.
Old May 29, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Well, if you're stuck with 80,000 Avios, take a look at BA's and IB's redemption charts for award travel on AA. (BA's chart is changing tomorrow, but most of the increases are small.) If you open and fund an Iberia Plus account with even one Avios, then after 90 days you should be able to transfer Avios from BA to IB, and vice versa. You might still get good value from those Avios on a different trip in the future.

At the moment, IB has a systems issue that prevents booking AA award flights, but that should be resolved -- eventually.
Thanks, I will look into opening that account. What's the best way to transfer Avios from BA to IB?
Old May 29, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the best way to transfer Avios from BA to IB?
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb
alanisrox69 likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:25 pm

I ended up booking my partners ticket in reverse on the BA Avios site and got confirmations. First booked DFW to RNO. Ticketed and confirmed. Then I went back in and booked EWR to DFW. Had to pay an additional $5.60, but it's fine, I'd rather book something than "lose" my transferred UR points. After getting both conf#s, I loaded them into AA and chose seats for both legs. I couldn't figure out how to save the itineraries (could not edit the frequent flyer number from BA to AA) so I called AA and they added his AA# to both tickets, then they showed up in his account online. I didn't book my ticket due to the 'through luggage' issue. I just signed up for the AA barclays card with 50k miles and was instantly approved. Once I get the card and use it once and pay the $99 fee, I'll have enough miles to book my ticket directly thru AA. since I'm booking Business I'll get 2 checked bags and the plan is to just check my partners bag under my name to avoid any mishaps in DFW. We won't have the time to exit and pick up his bag that would be spinning on the carousel with the Avios ticket. Seems like the best but highly unnecessary (from a customer standpoint) workaround IMO.

Either way, I'm still hoping my BBB complaint gets recognized and perhaps get a call from someone with 'power' to book the tickets on their system correctly. I'm positive it can be done if they *really* want to. But if not, this was my contingency backup plan.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Waiting on my BBB complaint to come back. I doubt they will do anything, but I also blasted them on Twitter. Considering writing to the local news -- they're always looking to expose company's fraudulent tactics.
Either way, I'm still hoping my BBB complaint gets recognized and perhaps get a call from someone with 'power' to book the tickets on their system correctly. I'm positive it can be done if they *really* want to.
I wouldn't hold your breath. Problems caused by married sector logic and/or phantom availability, or reservation requests that won't confirm for some other reason, are pretty common on airline websites and reservation systems. There's nothing unusual about the situation you encountered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.