Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by zippyboarder
I have an Amex 2 4 1 voucher to use.

Can it be used on an open jaw ticket. I am wanting to go from INV-LHR-INN and return SZG-LGW + LHR-INV

I know it canīt be done online but can it be done by calling the call centre
Yes open jaws on a 241 are fine with the usual rules theres availability, all on BA metal and flight numbers and they're in the same zone but your right, this would be a phone call to book and see the Q below as well as the standard rules.

See this thread in the Dashboard for more info.

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Q: Can I book an open-jaw trip using the voucher?
A: You can, but you will need to call BA. For the trip to be valid, the length of the surface sector must be shorter than either of the flown journeys. If you want to fly from LHR to AAA and from BBB back to LHR, then the LHR-AAA and BBB-LHR distances must both be greater than the distance between AAA and BBB
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:38 am

With the recent cancellation with Flybe, I got few BA reward flights on Flybe in the coming weeks that I believe will be affected. What you think the best course of action, cancel the flights or risk the flights being cancelled on the day? And does anyone know if BA will reaccommodate me to one of their flights if a flybe flight is cancelled?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Skyrocker
With the recent cancellation with Flybe, I got few BA reward flights on Flybe in the coming weeks that I believe will be affected. What you think the best course of action, cancel the flights or risk the flights being cancelled on the day? And does anyone know if BA will reaccommodate me to one of their flights if a flybe flight is cancelled?
It's the operating carrier's responsibility to rebook you - even on reward flights full EU261 protections apply - but I wouldn't expect BA to help you on the day unless Flybe endorse your ticket. This is one of the weaknesses of EU261 - the regulations are under review to make it clearer that in the event of disruption, the operating carrier must rebook you on the first available flight on any carrier.
Skyrocker likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:41 am

I booked an AA flight using avios. Upon check-in, I was charged $60 for two checked bags. My mistake for not knowing that BA does not have my AAdvantage information stored. The ticket agent was less than helpful. Before my return, I did some research and found out I could add my AA frequent flyer number which also includes my accompanying credit card information on other OW alliance sites. This should have given me checked bags for free. It did not. Luckily I had a much more knowledgeable counter agent on my return trip and she was willing to add the pertinent information and get my bags checked for free.

I will probably book more AA flights using avios and wish to avoid this same situation. Any advise as to how to do this? I followed the instructions on a couple of travel blogs - started with the BA record locator and then added my AA information. It didn't work.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Bellacricket
I booked an AA flight using avios. Upon check-in, I was charged $60 for two checked bags. My mistake for not knowing that BA does not have my AAdvantage information stored. The ticket agent was less than helpful. Before my return, I did some research and found out I could add my AA frequent flyer number which also includes my accompanying credit card information on other OW alliance sites. This should have given me checked bags for free. It did not. Luckily I had a much more knowledgeable counter agent on my return trip and she was willing to add the pertinent information and get my bags checked for free.

I will probably book more AA flights using avios and wish to avoid this same situation. Any advise as to how to do this? I followed the instructions on a couple of travel blogs - started with the BA record locator and then added my AA information. It didn't work.
Do you have elite status in the AAdvantage program, or are you relying on your AA credit card to get a baggage-fee waiver on your AA domestic flights?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Do you have elite status in the AAdvantage program, or are you relying on your AA credit card to get a baggage-fee waiver on your AA domestic flights?
Just the credit card, no elite status.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: BA GGL
I'm looking at making a normal booking which is showing up as V fare (economy) to upgrade into WTP. I can only assume this isn't upgradable, although it doesn't seem to be one of the fare classes that's ruled out? I thought it was typically a redemption code! Confused.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
I know that for UUA purposes it's best to book on BA.com but is it still possible if booked on the IB website? The flights I want are circa. Ģ400 cheaper on there than on BA.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mattyw
I know that for UUA purposes it's best to book on BA.com but is it still possible if booked on the IB website? The flights I want are circa. Ģ400 cheaper on there than on BA.
to UuA the booking needs to be on a ba issued 125-... ticket. If you book on the IB site it will be on a IB ticket and you won’t be able to UuA.
mattyw likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Airline
Best phone booking experience on BA ever

I was able to use Avios to book AS ticket for less than 15 minute by calling them. Last time I spend a solid 45 minutes. And this time they didn't even mention the booking fee, and only charged me $5.60!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I'm looking at making a normal booking which is showing up as V fare (economy) to upgrade into WTP. I can only assume this isn't upgradable, although it doesn't seem to be one of the fare classes that's ruled out? I thought it was typically a redemption code!
V is a cash booking class, and it is not excluded from UuA into WT+.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bellacricket
I booked an AA flight using avios. Upon check-in, I was charged $60 for two checked bags. My mistake for not knowing that BA does not have my AAdvantage information stored. ...

I will probably book more AA flights using avios and wish to avoid this same situation. Any advise as to how to do this?
If you are booking using Avios via your own BAEC account, if you go through the normal pathway you will end up with a booking for the BAEC member who booked it, ie yourself with your BAEC number attached.

What you should try is to use your BAEC account to book for another passenger, who is an AA member, who happens to have the same name as yourself. It's like booking for someone with a different name altogether - only use your own name and remember to specify this passenger's AA membership number.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you are booking using Avios via your own BAEC account, if you go through the normal pathway you will end up with a booking for the BAEC member who booked it, ie yourself with your BAEC number attached.

What you should try is to use your BAEC account to book for another passenger, who is an AA member, who happens to have the same name as yourself. It's like booking for someone with a different name altogether - only use your own name and remember to specify this passenger's AA membership number.
I assume that only works if said BAEC member isn't hard of a HHA?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flashware
I assume that only works if said BAEC member isn't [part] of a HHA?
Although I'm not in a HHA so I don't have first-hand experience of how the online mechanics work, I can't immediately see why the "AA member with the same name" couldn't be on the Family and Friends list.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.