Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Is it possible to book an itin with one flight in F and a connecting flight in Y, using Avios as a single ticket on QR ?

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
Is it possible to book an itin with one flight in F and a connecting flight in Y, using Avios as a single ticket on QR ?

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
Yes that’s fine. You may be able to do it on ba.com but if not just check reward availability for each sector and call to book on one ticket.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 5:07 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,
I tried searching but did not easily find it, I just noticed that if I am within a HHA, I cannot book flights for members outside of the HHA. Is there any way to work around this? Or do I need to also now get the person I want to book for into the HHA group?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers!
Old Oct 2, 2019, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,
I tried searching but did not easily find it, I just noticed that if I am within a HHA, I cannot book flights for members outside of the HHA. Is there any way to work around this? Or do I need to also now get the person I want to book for into the HHA group?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers!
They need to be in your HHA or Friends & Family list. Can you add them to your F&F?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:35 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by KARFA
They need to be in your HHA or Friends & Family list. Can you add them to your F&F?
Thank you.. did not even know that this existed (hardly ever redeem points for non HHA members. But yes, this worked!

Cheers!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
I am stunned at how poor value it is to upgrade with avios right now. Two weeks ago they told me that it would be 150k avios to upgrade from CW to F on a flight from LHR to IAD. Today I'm doing the same flight again and they told me there was availability and it would be 109,500 avios. AYFKM? A return reward flight in F is only 136k avios!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by drgitlin
I am stunned at how poor value it is to upgrade with avios right now. Two weeks ago they told me that it would be 150k avios to upgrade from CW to F on a flight from LHR to IAD. Today I'm doing the same flight again and they told me there was availability and it would be 109,500 avios. AYFKM? A return reward flight in F is only 136k avios!
I assume that you are referencing this: Using Avios at Airport to Upgrade - Trial 03-30 June 2019
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:27 am

Yes as noted by wilsnunn I think you are referring to the avios equivalent of AUPs - I don't think anyone has managed to argue they are good value! However, if you do want to upgrade using avios I would suggest looking at upgrading using avios (UuA) which is at much better rates (off the top of my head I think around 18-20,000 for one way on that route).
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I assume that you are referencing this: Using Avios at Airport to Upgrade - Trial 03-30 June 2019
And for clarity, the prices for these airport upgrades is very different from the prices for normal upgrades using Avios.

AFAIK, a UuA from Club to First on LHR-IAD remains 20,000 one-way (or 18,000 if it's an off-peak date) - see the chart in Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes as noted by wilsnunn I think you are referring to the avios equivalent of AUPs - I don't think anyone has managed to argue they are good value! However, if you do want to upgrade using avios I would suggest looking at upgrading using avios (UuA) which is at much better rates (off the top of my head I think around 18-20,000 for one way on that route).
Originally Posted by Globaliser
And for clarity, the prices for these airport upgrades is very different from the prices for normal upgrades using Avios.

AFAIK, a UuA from Club to First on LHR-IAD remains 20,000 one-way (or 18,000 if it's an off-peak date) - see the chart in Your guide to spending Avios | 2019 edition
Indeed from the experience of people in that thread, BA are charging you 1 Avios per 0.5p, thus your approx 110,000 Avios upgrade from CW to F would be indicative of a £550 approx AuP price.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Indeed from the experience of people in that thread, BA are charging you 1 Avios per 0.5p, thus your approx 110,000 Avios upgrade from CW to F would be indicative of a £550 approx AuP price.
That's about right, when I asked at IAD a couple of weeks ago on the other side of that earlier trip it was $700ish to upgrade from CW to F paying cash.

UuA wasn't an option on either of these trips, not sure why but maybe the fare code that Porsche and then Audi booked my tickets under? LHR wasn't my final destination, IAD>LHR on Sepy 17 was fare code D, the return on 21st was R, then for this most recent trip outbound was D on American (on a three-class plane so nothing to upgrade to anyway) and the flight I'm about to get on is a J.

But the 0.5p per Avios answer makes perfect sense. I'll just keep racking up the avios so I can take edcaya somewhere nice instead.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
"01 UuA on BA only flights, booked through a BA sales channel

You can upgrade from economy to premium economy on all published fares except Q, O, and G. You can upgrade any World Traveller Plus or Club World fare to the next available cabin. One-way UuAs are possible at any time as is cherry picking individual sectors for upgrade. "

Maybe I am misreading the above advice, but when I tried to upgrade domestic legs of INV - AUH rtn from Y to J I was told the whole ticket had to be upgraded using Avios, I could not cherry pick. This could not happen because there was no avios availability on the LHR - AUH sectors. The overall ticket has been booked in W.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
"01 UuA on BA only flights, booked through a BA sales channel

You can upgrade from economy to premium economy on all published fares except Q, O, and G. You can upgrade any World Traveller Plus or Club World fare to the next available cabin. One-way UuAs are possible at any time as is cherry picking individual sectors for upgrade. "

Maybe I am misreading the above advice, but when I tried to upgrade domestic legs of INV - AUH rtn from Y to J I was told the whole ticket had to be upgraded using Avios, I could not cherry pick. This could not happen because there was no avios availability on the LHR - AUH sectors. The overall ticket has been booked in W.
I am sure someone more expert will reply soon, but in the meantime that seems wrong to me.
Unless for UK domestic flights or SH flights the rules are different from the rest, I remember upgrading just the LH portion of multi-flights trips using avios in the past. I would probably try to call again.
Dicksbits likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
I am sure someone more expert will reply soon, but in the meantime that seems wrong to me.
Unless for UK domestic flights or SH flights the rules are different from the rest, I remember upgrading just the LH portion of multi-flights trips using avios in the past. I would probably try to call again.
Agreed. You can upgrade only certain sectors of a booking - you do not have to do every flight. I think call again is the answer here.
Dicksbits likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:49 am

Does anyone know if you can use either a 2-4-1 voucher and/or a GUF2 voucher on a double avios gold priority reward?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.