Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by BobServant
The “gentleman” in 2D leapt up and yelled at me “my hat’s in there”. I looked in and indeed the sole item in locker was a large stetson. He then yelled “my hat! My hat ........ the now very angry man grabbed his hat, told us we had no respect and placed said hat on his head, where it stayed for the entire flight.
You have failed to grasp the importance of the hat to a cowboy. Cowboys are welded to their hats; it is of vital importance to them. My first experience of this was in a restaurant in Mexico, cattle country part, where there were twenty or so men all eating with their hats on. The only place they are removed is the church!

This behaviour is not DYKWIA but just what cowboys normally do. I once had a cowboy hat and it was really good at keeping me unsunburnt so I do understand the attachment.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by BobServant

Last summer, coming back from the States we had a bit of a tight connection and were almost last to board our flight up to EDI. Sitting in 3A/C I opened the locker and went to put my bag in it.

The “gentleman” in 2D leapt up and yelled at me “my hat’s in there”. I looked in and indeed the sole item in locker was a large stetson. He then yelled “my hat! My hat! You can’t put your bag in with my hat”. My partner, who takes no nonsense from anyone - especially after a 10 hour TATL, lobbed her bag in and said “we’ll well, it looks like we can”.

I then put my bag in and as I went to close the locker the now very angry man grabbed his hat, told us we had no respect and placed said hat on his head, where it stayed for the entire flight. It can’t have been remotely comfortable but I guess he felt he had a point to make. Just plain odd.
A stetson eh, you sure it wasn't JR Ewing?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Meanwhile, 38,243,801 American citizens are surgically attached to their baseball caps, regardless of indoors or out.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T8191
Meanwhile, 38,243,801 American citizens are surgically attached to their baseball caps, regardless of indoors or out.
Not just Americans. Not anymore.
Like most pop culture, it starts in America, but baseball caps and American sports team t-shirts are being worn by the young everywhere. Ink and rap are pretty common as well.
Big old Stetsons? That's pretty much confined to Americans, and a fairly small subset at that.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:51 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by antichef
But they don’t have to put it above Row 1 ��
Indeed. The sensible and proactive thing would have been to move the crew bag to row 5 where the empty bin was or move the dump and runner's bag to row 5 and put her bag above 2 so that 1A could puyt his bag in.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:53 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by subject2load

Any particular response / reaction from the CSM to your (understandable) remark ?
nope. not a word.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, BA oik, TK pleb, EY Hoi Polloi
Originally Posted by subject2load
@ UTFB - good to see you didn’t take any nonsense from Mr Angry Laptop ^

That said, I think this sort of attitude is much more common in the snooty CE ‘cabin’ (or should that be curtain zone ?), than it is down the back of the bus. You should join us there ..... we’re all very easy-going in ET, and it’s more of an egalitarian society vibe. Oh and do be sure to order the exit row, as they say on TR restaurant reviews .....
Oh I don't know, I've also had an angry laptop gentlemen in ET telling me I absolutely cannot place my own laptop in the overhead with his (though we were in exit row seats, so maybe he was a former CE-booker who'd realised the exit rows are better seats and bought the attitude with him... no idea )
I told him if it were that important to him, I'd put my laptop underneath his, to which I got a grumbling agreement. Because there was no one in the aisle to hold up, I proceeded to take a good 30 seconds longer than I needed to rummaging in the locker, banging and pushing (my own bags) and giving the impression that I was making a right meal of it whilst watching him go purple.
SKT-DK, PAL62V, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Now I’m not sure whether this is me having a DYKWIA moment, or the other people in this story are. I’ll leave it to the good people of FT to arbitrate...

Arrived at DUS this evening for the last BA flight at 2035 to LHR. In plenty of time, and went to the gates as travelling light. Not hugely busy this evening at the airport but I went through the priority lane and up the escalator and through the door to security screening. Only one scanning line open, so I along with others who followed a few minutes later went to the end of the (not hugely long) general queue. As I got towards the very front of the queue, a couple came through the priority door and tried to barge in. I suggested that perhaps good etiquette would be following the example of those who had discovered a single queue and join the end of that. The woman was adamant that it was her right to join wherever she wanted. And then said “my plane is going very soon”. I enquired how soon and was told “15 minutes”. I suspected that this was not true...presumably there is MCT at DUS and a 20’ rule for being at the gate.

After much huffing, she and her travelling partner moved behind me. We were then all held up as the body scanner went into meltdown, yet there was no agitation from our late-running travellers.

Remarkably, they are now in the (much improved) Hugo Junkers Lounge, having gained access with PP. Perhaps their flight was delayed... I’m enjoying the food and apron views in the HJL.

Was I being too British, too assertive, or just idiotic in my approach...?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
I assume this was at B-Gates where the setup is indeed not ideal for priority passengers so I can imagine the situation you are describing! I do find it awkward sometimes.

Glad you're enjoying the HJL. While food is nothing to write home about, I find it is a near perfect spot to relax with a beer before my flights. Deserves more credit than it gets (on here).
Mapman likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I find your behaviour totally acceptable, and I am not British, in fact I probably would have said to her in the lounge “I am terribly sorry to see the stress you had to go through only to see your flight got so badly delayed“...

Wonder why she thought she had priority access (fast track) if she then needed to use PP to get into the lounge.

Also, agree with above posts that HJL has improved massively since the beginning of the year. I never understood with DUS being one of BA most frequented cities in Europe that they don’t have their own lounge there - or that they indeed accepted such a rubbish service. So I am glad it got marginally better of late.
Mapman and lhrpete like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
Flying NBO > LHR I'm waiting at gate security and the guy in front of me threw a fit!! Appears that he received an op-up at checkin but was then downgraded at the gate. He was indignant "You can't downgrade someone!!!" He was quite rude to the gentlemen at the gate, eventually demanding to be put in to first class...to which the attendant replies that first class is full....that didn't stop the guy from demanding it at least a couple more times! I don't think he had his ears turned on...

I couldn't believe that the gate agent even entertained the notion! I mean this guy gets something for free, then it is taken away, then he throws a fit?! I feel like gate agents need to grow a tail bone and tell people like this to take a hike. I mean this guy just kept going on and on...eventually saying "you know I'm just going to have to write British Airways about this....what's your name?"....like BA gives a crap about this incident!

And surprise surprise....the guy ends up across from me on the upper deck....the ....... got the upgrade after all!! I'm disappointed that acting like a two year old can actually get you somewhere....maybe I should write BA
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by vytas315
Flying NBO > LHR I'm waiting at gate security and the guy in front of me threw a fit!! Appears that he received an op-up at checkin but was then downgraded at the gate. He was indignant "You can't downgrade someone!!!" He was quite rude to the gentlemen at the gate, eventually demanding to be put in to first class...to which the attendant replies that first class is full....that didn't stop the guy from demanding it at least a couple more times! I don't think he had his ears turned on...

I couldn't believe that the gate agent even entertained the notion! I mean this guy gets something for free, then it is taken away, then he throws a fit?! I feel like gate agents need to grow a tail bone and tell people like this to take a hike. I mean this guy just kept going on and on...eventually saying "you know I'm just going to have to write British Airways about this....what's your name?"....like BA gives a crap about this incident!

And surprise surprise....the guy ends up across from me on the upper deck....the ....... got the upgrade after all!! I'm disappointed that acting like a two year old can actually get you somewhere....maybe I should write BA
Good way to manufacturer an unhappy customer out of thin air though - give him and upgrade ahead of a LH flight, then take it away just as he boards. I certainly wouldn't have made a scene but would have been pretty p****d off.
vytas315 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
If it was a PE to CW upgrade I can understand him being upset!!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by vytas315

I might not have been at the 2-year-old-tantrum stage (like it sounds like this chap was) but I'd be pretty annoyed if that happened to me I have to say and I'd probably be demanding to know why and what they felt they were going to do about the fact they'd raised my expectations and then removed it again.
vytas315 and MrsW like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FeedbirdNiner
Good way to manufacturer an unhappy customer out of thin air though - give him and upgrade ahead of a LH flight, then take it away just as he boards. I certainly wouldn't have made a scene but would have been pretty p****d off.
I would be very unhappy too as with the downgrade the chances of getting a worse seat in PE than my original booked seat are extremely high. If they get me back my original booked seat, I would not even complain.
FeedbirdNiner likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.