Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Calum
I'm really struggling with this. So was the other pilot onboard a Captain? I find it hard to believe most passengers wouldn't get up and ask to be offloaded if they found out their crew was a SFO and a FO.
Most passengers I know, myself included, wouldn’t even understand the relevance of what you said, let alone be outraged by it. Like most passengers I expect, I just assume, like a car, bus, or HGV, the person “at the wheel” is licensed to drive. More so in a highly regulated environment.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Calum
I find it hard to believe most passengers wouldn't get up and ask to be offloaded if they found out their crew was a SFO and a FO.
I doubt it. Few passengers would appreciate the set up and that there wasn't a Captain on board (which in any case I also doubt).
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seaskybound
Due to your username I am compelled to say you are not exactly correct
Unless I'm missing something then air at STP is a _fluid_ but not a liquid...
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
"Mereticious", "AKE bin" and now the difference between a liquid and a fluid

Truly, every day's a schoolday on the BAEC forum !!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Air is not a liquid.
But 'gas' is.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:14 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Air is not a liquid.
Years ago there was a story in the US about a chap who brought a frozen bottle of Whisky (I think) to the airport. He took it through as hand-baggage, and had a huge argument with the TSA.

His point, was that the liquid was no longer a liquid. It was a solid.

Their argument, was flawed.

He won, and took it onboard.

M

EDIT: I'm trying to find the story online, but can't find it on Google. It made a few newspapers.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Years ago there was a story in the US about a chap who brought a frozen bottle of Whisky (I think) to the airport. He took it through as hand-baggage, and had a huge argument with the TSA.

M

EDIT: I'm trying to find the story online, but can't find it on Google. It made a few newspapers.
How did he manage to get a bottle of Whisky to freeze?
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:26 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by endoman
I believe with something more than just a freezer!

I think he was a Scientist of some sort, so had access to the right machinery, and the textbook knowledge to outsmart the TSA!

M
endoman likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by endoman
Pure ethanol will freeze at -114c, 40% ABV whisky will freeze at a sultry -27c or there abouts.

So to answer your question use an industrial freezer. Or SF fans - mix with Ice 9.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
What you say is true, but I did not define it at STP (necessarily). And I stand by what I wrote.

"Air is not a liquid" is not always correct. "Air is not always a liquid" is always correct
mickeyjaw likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

M

Back when Yankee Candles weren't easily available in the UK, I took some back for the wife through TSA and was told I couldn't have them. I queried, and was told that they may be solid now but would be liquid when heated. I told him that you could say the same for the structural steel the airport building was supported by. He told me not to be so ridiculous.

I won in the end, but after a significant argument.

TSA are fun at times.
wrp96 and msm2000uk like this.

Last edited by Wozza2404; Jun 5, 2018 at 3:40 am
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:15 am

M

Frozen liquids (assuming fully frozen hard, and not slushy) are permitted in carry-on by TSA, and are not subject to the 3-1-1 rule. I think it's always been that way in the US. I'm not sure about other jurisdictions.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
Frozen liquids (assuming fully frozen hard, and not slushy) are permitted in carry-on by TSA, and are not subject to the 3-1-1 rule. I think it's always been that way in the US. I'm not sure about other jurisdictions.
Which I think neatly illustrate the stupidity about obsessing about bottles of water, while allowing 95% of test weapons and explosives through.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Worcester
Which I think neatly illustrate the stupidity about obsessing about bottles of water, while allowing 95% of test weapons and explosives through.
Security obsessed TLV has no issue with liquids. I brought once a 6 pack of 1.5L (9L!) of a local soft drink onto the airplane as hand luggage
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Almost had a mini DYKWIA moment this morning at T3 security. Fast-track was queuing out the door (no surprise there, awful design layout) so went around to normal security and there was only one person ahead of me, took my toiletries and iPad out and was told I had to transfer all my toiletries into a plastic zip lock bag and have it sealed or none would be allowed through. For reference I have one of those see-through plastic pouches which Nivea (and others) sell with mini-toiletries specifically (in my opinion) for airport security and I have passed through about 30 airports with the said see through pouch with no issues, but this security lady this morning decided it was not within spec.
WickedStepMother likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.