Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Pilot37
..For reference I have one of those see-through plastic pouches which Nivea (and others) sell with mini-toiletries specifically (in my opinion) for airport security and I have passed through about 30 airports with the said see through pouch with no issues, but this security lady this morning decided it was not within spec.
I think the regulations are quite specific about the bag capacity - one litre, but more hazy when it comes to dimensions - "about" 20cm x 20cm.

The security agents will recognise the standard bags handed out, but if in a jobsworth mood could baulk at passing anything they are not familiar with. It seems petty, but I guess rules is rules. You might try insisting that the capacity of the bag be tested, but any victory would be pyrrhic.

So it probably pays to use the standard issue bags: irregular ones risk being refused. Looks like your run of good fortune ended.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:04 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Almost had a mini DYKWIA moment this morning at T3 security. Fast-track was queuing out the door (no surprise there, awful design layout) so went around to normal security and there was only one person ahead of me, took my toiletries and iPad out and was told I had to transfer all my toiletries into a plastic zip lock bag and have it sealed or none would be allowed through. For reference I have one of those see-through plastic pouches which Nivea (and others) sell with mini-toiletries specifically (in my opinion) for airport security and I have passed through about 30 airports with the said see through pouch with no issues, but this security lady this morning decided it was not within spec.
This is a VERY common problem when passing through UK airports. I don't know who or why, but they just NEED to have liquids in bags that are fully locked, they claim that it should not release any of the contents in any form (including in air format). I never understood this silly concept.
I purposely never follow this silly rule, and times it passes through at other times they just transfer it to their silly bag and after their inspection I purposely just transfer it back to my much hardier see through bag in front of them. A very ridiculous rule at least in my eyes since no other airports in the world has problem with this.
Recently I also found that in MAN, they have this burly looking guy that seems to be on a power trip barking at everyone to not use their phones while waiting in their unorganized security line.

Now that we are talking about differences in airport security, I find that mainly the UK, Ireland, Belgium and NL has one of the worst self imposing "I am more secured" that anyone else in the world rules.

Cheers!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: LH
Almost had a mini DYKWIA moment this morning at T3 security. Fast-track was queuing out the door (no surprise there, awful design layout) so went around to normal security and there was only one person ahead of me, took my toiletries and iPad out and was told I had to transfer all my toiletries into a plastic zip lock bag and have it sealed or none would be allowed through. For reference I have one of those see-through plastic pouches which Nivea (and others) sell with mini-toiletries specifically (in my opinion) for airport security and I have passed through about 30 airports with the said see through pouch with no issues, but this security lady this morning decided it was not within spec.
I find the T3 "repacking service" a very nice bonus service, whenever I pass LHR. I use LH rimowa kit for toiletries and expect UK I was never asked to remove them from the case. Just for LHR I keep all the toiletries in the plastic bag that gets torn,schratched and holed throughout time. At LHR they always open my case, check the bag, deem it unfit for flying and repack it into a new bag.
There always have to be one airport security that goes extra mile.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Silver, Emirates Silver, AF gold
Passed through LHR T5 security about 10 days ago and asked for a bag to put my hand sanitiser in. Guy gave me one, but said I didn't really need to bother. Go figure...

DS
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CKBA
A couple of years ago I had an empty water bottle taken away from me at WAW because it was >100ml... .
That's bonkers... they don't normally do that at WAW. I take an empty water bottle through practically every time and never had that happen.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
.......I purposely never follow this silly rule,
Indeed: rules one regards as silly are best flouted

....and times it passes through at other times they just transfer it to their silly bag ..
And if they were not helpful, but expected you to do the work yourself - perhaps insisting you go back to the security entrance to pick up one of the regulation bags, to avoid holding up me those in the queue behind you..... would the rebellion continue?

.. after their inspection I purposely just transfer it back to my much hardier see through bag in front of them.
That'll teach 'em!
noFODplease and Cotumely like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
I think the original intent of the rules was that the bag should be "closeable" thus limiting the maximum possible contents.

Over time "closeable" seems to have evolved into "airtight"
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Whilst we are on the subject of clear bags, I once attempted to pass through STR security with a 105ml tube of toothpaste in my clear bag by accident. Apparently I had done this about 5 times previously and not noticed the size of it.

Not only did the member of staff make a big scene about it, but when I nonchalantly shrugged and told him to throw it in the bin he then:

1) Un-noticed by me put the now empty ziplock bag devoid of toothpaste or other liquids back through the scanner in a tray on its own.
2) Got a colleague to grab me on the way out of security and march me back so he could berate me again for creating a security risk by not collecting the empty ziplock bag from the tray
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
I think the original intent of the rules was that the bag should be "closeable" thus limiting the maximum possible contents.

Over time "closeable" seems to have evolved into "airtight"
No, the rule has always been that the plastic bag must be “resealable” - in other words it needs to be airtight to trap vapour and aid detection of any banned substances.
flygirl68 and HilFly like this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by yurtripper
That's bonkers... they don't normally do that at WAW. I take an empty water bottle through practically every time and never had that happen.
That has happened to me (not at WAW, think it might have been LHR but definitely in the UK).
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
i was going through security at Gatwick with a toiletries baggie printed with Los Angeles Airport (issued to me on my previous trip) - jobsworth made me go back and get a clear one from the entrance...... apparently it should be clear and only clear!
Pilot37 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Bellerophon
I can’t comment on this incident, or what itsmeitisss was told following the incident - I wasn’t there – and I make no comment on the views expressed, or the behaviour alleged, but if I might make a few general points:
  • BA nominate an aircraft Commander for every sector the airline operates.
  • The nominated Commander will hold the rank of Captain, will wear four stripes on their uniform and will have passed the BA Command Course.
  • They will sign the aircraft technical log and load sheet at the start of each sector and sign the aircraft technical log at the end of each sector.
  • They remain the Commander of the aircraft throughout the flight, regardless of whether they are physically handling the controls themselves, letting the co-pilot manage the flight and handle the controls, are on a rest-break and asleep in a bunk or have a more senior Captain on board as part of the relief crew on a long sector.
Towards the end of my career, it was not uncommon for me to fly as a member of the relief crew, under the command of a Captain for whom I had done part of their initial training when they joined the airline twenty years earlier.Generally speaking, in BA, co-pilots handle roughly just over half the sectors the airline flies, so I am a little puzzled by itsmeitisss’s comment that … On short haul I find it quite unusual for the Captain of the flight to do the flying… however that is his or her experience.

I can only think of one situation when a pilot, wearing three stripes, would be a Captain and flying as the Commander of an aircraft. This would be if they were called on to operate the day after their promotion to Captain, before their uniform had been re-braided.Given that most co-pilots would regard it as bad luck or overly presumptuous to have their uniforms re-braided before their promotion had been confirmed, this has happened on at least one occasion!
calm.....
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=mickeyjaw;29831549]Whilst we are on the subject of clear bags, I once attempted to pass through STR security with a 105ml tube of toothpaste in my clear bag by accident. Apparently I had done this about 5 times previously and not noticed the size of it. /QUOTE]

I remember having a similar experience in Bangkok, transiting to Ko Samui a few years ago.. I think it's Colgate that sell toothpaste at 110 grams with the ml less than 100ml. I'd gotten it through Heathrow without a second thought but at Bangkok internal transfer recheck they told me they had to go with the higher number of the 2 and took it.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:34 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Indeed: rules one regards as silly are best flouted

And if they were not helpful, but expected you to do the work yourself - perhaps insisting you go back to the security entrance to pick up one of the regulation bags, to avoid holding up me those in the queue behind you..... would the rebellion continue?

That'll teach 'em!
Don't get me wrong, not trying to be a DYKWIA, but if it is only 1 country airport (and at the same time not always consistent) that insist on having a clear bag (size wise it is ok) that are perfectly sealed I do consider this a ridiculous rule. What's the problem if the bag is not complete sealed?

Normally this happens when the it goes into secondary when they see that the bag is not completes sealed (not that the zipper is broken, but just that the design of the bag has a small opening -so no condensation).

Again I am not trying to be a PITA, but again, if all other airports around the world are OK on the clear seal bag that I am using, why do they need to have rules deviating from the standard?

Cheers!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't get me wrong, not trying to be a DYKWIA, but if it is only 1 country airport (and at the same time not always consistent) that insist on having a clear bag (size wise it is ok) that are perfectly sealed I do consider this a ridiculous rule. What's the problem if the bag is not complete sealed?

Normally this happens when the it goes into secondary when they see that the bag is not completes sealed (not that the zipper is broken, but just that the design of the bag has a small opening -so no condensation).

Again I am not trying to be a PITA, but again, if all other airports around the world are OK on the clear seal bag that I am using, why do they need to have rules deviating from the standard?

Cheers!
Sure, I agree that it's a silly rule. Well, it certainly seems silly - i wasn't convinced by the explanation a security chap gave me, that it's to trap any of the volatile substance the "sniffer" machine might be trying to detect.

It's just that I'm not sure staging a one-man version of the Boston Tea Party is an appropriate response to the frustration

I'm happy to keep a low profile and move as quickly as possible through security. If that means taking off my jacket and storing toiletries in the approved type of bag, then so be it. I have a stash of the things in my carry on.

I've even learned that when using Manchester, it's a hazard to carry a tube of those fizzy vitamin C tablets. So I decant the number of lozenges required into.... yet another of the wretched bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.