Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Arrow DYKWIA | 2018 edition

This thread is a continuation of the ever popular DYKWIA - The 2017 thread.

Airports are funny places. While they are increasingly designed to both complement and positively influence human behaviour, some of our fellow passengers do on occasion suffer a complete loss of composure and/or self awareness. This thread celebrates those amusing lapses of, well, lets call it social etiquette.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
In the lounge at Prague this evening flying PRG-LHR on BA857. Take seats with family at the far corner away from the desk.

About 15 mins in, hear a loud "gentleman" at the entrance desk berating the food on offer. Several minutes pass and he's just not shutting up, talking in such a loud voice that every word is audible to the entire lounge. I go over to ask him (politely) to be quiet. He starts berating me...some line about ooh...the future Chairman/CEO there (sorry mate, C-suite already, so a bit of reverse DYKWIA there 😀 ) but he does quieten off a little.

15 mins later, after clearly deciding that despite his earlier protestations, the lounge isn't beneath accepting some freebies from, he's pouring a drink at the same time as my wife. He starts berating the manner in which the lemons for his g+t have been cut to her, and how you can't get the lounge staff who care nowadays 😄 They are too close to halves rather than slices apparently 😀

A few mins later, he's getting another drink and explaining to the attendant how Willie Walsh is an accountant and how travelling club doesn't meet his expectations (fine, but a Menzies lounge attendant at PRG isn't going to help...)

Anyway an amusing way to start the new year 😄
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Wayland
In the lounge at Prague this evening flying PRG-LHR on BA857. Take seats with family at the far corner away from the desk.

About 15 mins in, hear a loud "gentleman" at the entrance desk berating the food on offer. Several minutes pass and he's just not shutting up, talking in such a loud voice that every word is audible to the entire lounge. I go over to ask him (politely) to be quiet. He starts berating me...some line about ooh...the future Chairman/CEO there (sorry mate, C-suite already, so a bit of reverse DYKWIA there 😀 ) but he does quieten off a little.

15 mins later, after clearly deciding that despite his earlier protestations, the lounge isn't beneath accepting some freebies from, he's pouring a drink at the same time as my wife. He starts berating the manner in which the lemons for his g+t have been cut to her, and how you can't get the lounge staff who care nowadays 😄 They are too close to halves rather than slices apparently 😀

A few mins later, he's getting another drink and explaining to the attendant how Willie Walsh is an accountant and how travelling club doesn't meet his expectations (fine, but a Menzies lounge attendant at PRG isn't going to help...)

Anyway an amusing way to start the new year 😄
On the plane now and he has pulled out the middle seat CE table so he can sit there and keep adjacent empty 🙄
HeyAussie likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Wayland
On the plane now and he has pulled out the middle seat CE table so he can sit there and keep adjacent empty 🙄
This chap sounds like an absolute plonker. For the sake of this topic, let’s hope someone has been allocated the seat next to him so we can hear how he reacts!
LTN Phobia and frasier like this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As I have no scheduled flights until the end of February, I will not feature here for a while.
susanc, dylanks, rapidex and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Had an entire family of DYKWIAs - inexperienced travellers, it seems, but very loud, sitting above me on the rear, upper deck CW cabin on HKG-LHR last night.

As well as being loud, and the eighteen-year-old son "larging it" and downing PDB Champagne, drawing attention to themselves, they were mostly pretty quiet. Initially they were confused how they had all been allocated seat 58, but eventually figured it out... Mum then complained bitterly that "I can't believe the films are the same as on the way out."

However, the teenage daughter was distraught because "There's a man in the toilet and he's doing a poo. On a plane!" shouting across the cabin to her mother, who was at least silent in her reaction. (I'm not sure if she has a problem with the concept of aeroplanes, or toilets, but ...)

Also, the person who was originally seated next to me was asked to move because "There's a gentleman downstairs and he really wants a window seat, so would you mind swapping for a centre aisle downstairs?" I don't know if that was code for a First middle seat, but he went surprisingly readily. Someone did actually come upstairs then, and he was perfectly nice throughout the flight. No idea why the original occupant went so placidly or why he was chosen - possibly staff travel or an op-up?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

This chap sounds like an absolute plonker. For the sake of this topic, let’s hope someone has been allocated the seat next to him so we can hear how he reacts!
Agree , utter plonker. People like him ruin trips for me as my sole attention is fixated on them to watch every move of theirs as i find them volatile and i like to be in control of my surroundings thus not being able to enjoy myself !
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Agree , utter plonker. People like him ruin trips for me as my sole attention is fixated on them to watch every move of theirs as i find them volatile and i like to be in control of my surroundings thus not being able to enjoy myself !
oh come come: probably more entertaining to watch than the safety video!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Cymro
Had an entire family of DYKWIAs - inexperienced travellers, it seems, but very loud, sitting above me on the rear, upper deck CW cabin on HKG-LHR last night.

As well as being loud, and the eighteen-year-old son "larging it" and downing PDB Champagne, drawing attention to themselves, they were mostly pretty quiet. Initially they were confused how they had all been allocated seat 58, but eventually figured it out... Mum then complained bitterly that "I can't believe the films are the same as on the way out."

However, the teenage daughter was distraught because "There's a man in the toilet and he's doing a poo. On a plane!" shouting across the cabin to her mother, who was at least silent in her reaction. (I'm not sure if she has a problem with the concept of aeroplanes, or toilets, but ...)

Also, the person who was originally seated next to me was asked to move because "There's a gentleman downstairs and he really wants a window seat, so would you mind swapping for a centre aisle downstairs?" I don't know if that was code for a First middle seat, but he went surprisingly readily. Someone did actually come upstairs then, and he was perfectly nice throughout the flight. No idea why the original occupant went so placidly or why he was chosen - possibly staff travel or an op-up?
I would have been laughing my head off at the poo comment!
Not sure why he needs a window seeing as it's pitch black outside and the blinds will probably be down anyway.....unless he wanted the side bin or more privacy?
frasier likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by brentford77

oh come come: probably more entertaining to watch than the safety video!
Hehe while safety is key , i will sway on that one ! I just would like to eat my chicken panini ( or whatever carb overloaded and tasteless "meal" the CE kitchen rustles up ) in peace then having to think about an outburst from the DKYWIA seated besides me or the row behind that could interrupt or numb my "3 course dinning experience ".
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by xenole
I would have been laughing my head off at the poo comment!
Not sure why he needs a window seeing as it's pitch black outside and the blinds will probably be down anyway.....unless he wanted the side bin or more privacy?
When we book seats, my other half HAS to have the window seat regardless of what is or isn't available to see outside. It's a coping mechanism when he flies. (He hates to fly. I drag him around the world anyway.)
pancakex and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: BA GGL
When I travel with my partner, I have to have the window seat because she gets up to pee every 15 minutes!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
When I travel with my partner, I have to have the window seat because she gets up to pee every 15 minutes!
That is allowed. it is the POOing that is frowned upon, did you not get the memo?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
Don't dis the window seats - and the view; it's never pitch black out there at 40,000'! Nothing better than gliding over the land areas and working out where all those lights are, or looking at the intricacies of the roads in New York, etc at night... .
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yup, but if you want the window seat you can either pay for it or reserve it for free through status...I get too many of the "innocent" requests from BA ground staff to swap seats with other passengers who should simply have paid for them...most recently, being asked to switch out of 64K on the Upper Deck 747 (best seat in the house...) for a random aisle downstairs because "two passengers want to sit together". Sorry, not my problem and if they were that fussed they could have paid for the seats they wanted....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.