Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've always stuck my passport in my jacket, but I wasn't wearing one as it was Singapore. And I've always taken my iPad out - going through so many different airports where there's one rule in one, one in another, I just prefer to take it out and stick it in the tray.

But this is classic FT, especially the BA board, choose an inconsequential detail to pick up on...
LondonCanuck and Harry Harry like this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
I've always stuck my passport in my jacket, but I wasn't wearing one as it was Singapore. And I've always taken my iPad out - going through so many different airports where there's one rule in one, one in another, I just prefer to take it out and stick it in the tray.

But this is classic FT, especially the BA board, choose an inconsequential detail to pick up on...
In this instance contributors are simply passing on local knowledge for the benefit of those who may not be familiar with the nuances of a particular airport.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
And my thought when reading this was 'classic FT - pushback to a misconstrued response'
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

In this instance contributors are simply passing on local knowledge for the benefit of those who may not be familiar with the nuances of a particular airport.
Yes, very true. I have my way from travelling through numerous airports regularly and prefer to only have to think whether I have to take my shoes off. Sometimes I forget that not everyone on here is the same (although high chance in this thread)

Originally Posted by noFODplease
And my thought when reading this was 'classic FT - pushback to a misconstrued response'
Further classic FT there - someone has to get in the last word! Hang on...
noFODplease likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... Further classic FT there - someone has to get in the last word! Hang on...
^
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:09 am

Had an annoying DYKWIA guy on my flight last week.
Coming back from ORD on the sleeper service, all cosy after a diner in the lounge and just enough glasses of wine to dooze nicely into a short night of sleep.
On the other size of the yin-yang arrives a gentleman (who will soon lose this title), who seats down. Our FA arrives, introduces herself (Mixed fleet crew, I was wondering if it was her first rotation, you could see how much she cared and did things by the book. Well, obviously quite new to the job and really doing her best - and doing quite well, really), offers the usual glass of bubbly.
The guy asks her with quite a rude tone where the "duvet" is, while holding his blanket - still under wrap, and still the old model (shame, was expecting the White Company stuff).
She replies that's the blanket.
"You don't expect me to sleep in that, do you" (Well yes, I do, like everybody else).
Cue some loud complaining because it's unacceptable, this is a night service, not a day one, all the previous time he had proper duvet etc etc.
She apologized and went to see the CSM who came later, got the same spiel by the guy, and ended up fetching a full F blanket for his majesty.

What annoys me most is that this a**hole got what he wanted, by being as rude as can be to a very nice (obviously new) FA and a very nice CSM.
If you want the percale duvet, just pay for the first, and don't pretend you always had it in J.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC
In situations like djwam's I always imagine an alternate reality where the FA is a 6 foot rugby player who proceeds to belt the angry man into next week's reality! Or, more likely, not be spoken to like that in the first place

I also used to wonder if such people would behave the same way if their employer/family name was displayed above their seat, tho I've long since realised that yes, they most likely would....
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by djwam
Had an annoying DYKWIA guy on my flight last week.

What annoys me most is that this a**hole got what he wanted, by being as rude as can be to a very nice (obviously new) FA and a very nice CSM.
If you want the percale duvet, just pay for the first, and don't pretend you always had it in J.
Duvets in Club from BLR this week, day flight too.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
First bodyblocking

Group 1 called for BA105 to Dubai this evening. Myself, my wife and 2 children (11 and 9) near front of queue, travelling First but group 1 due to status anyway. Suddenly find myself knocked sideways by a 60-year-old man shouting “First Class” as he tries to barge all the way through. My kids were about to get the same treatment. Gathered any wits I still have, told him 13 others were “First Class” too, and anyway he was merely part of Group 1 with gold card holders. He then muttered something about “I see we’re seated with the kindergarten”, before admitting defeat and retreating. My kids are far better behaved than that plonker!
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:46 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by joelyp
Group 1 called for BA105 to Dubai this evening. Myself, my wife and 2 children (11 and 9) near front of queue, travelling First but group 1 due to status anyway. Suddenly find myself knocked sideways by a 60-year-old man shouting “First Class” as he tries to barge all the way through. My kids were about to get the same treatment. Gathered any wits I still have, told him 13 others were “First Class” too, and anyway he was merely part of Group 1 with gold card holders. He then muttered something about “I see we’re seated with the kindergarten”, before admitting defeat and retreating. My kids are far better behaved than that plonker!
The BA F cabin only seats one person, you know.

Kindergarten indeed, and unfortunate that you're sharing a cabin with this particular childish spoiled oaf. I hope he doesn't make a further nuisance of himself for other passengers or the crew once onboard.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Absolute Plonker, you should have provided him a link to FT post. 😊👍
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by V10
The BA F cabin only seats one person, you know.

Kindergarten indeed, and unfortunate that you're sharing a cabin with this particular childish spoiled oaf. I hope he doesn't make a further nuisance of himself for other passengers or the crew once onboard.
Writing this from the spanky new BA WiFi on the super-J 747! I think he has realised his position in life, as the sophisticated individual to his left and behind me in 3A is Christine Lagarde. Then again, he may not have realised.
jerry305 and citygourmande like this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:54 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by joelyp

Writing this from the spanky new BA WiFi on the super-J 747! I think he has realised his position in life, as the sophisticated individual to his left and behind me in 3A is Christine Lagarde. Then again, he may not have realised.
He's probably still in a state of utter consternation, trying to work out why it is that she's in his F cabin, and not in the kitchen doing the dishes.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
Originally Posted by djwam
"You don't expect me to sleep in that, do you"
"No sir, please do not wear the blanket" is what I would have liked to have heard!

Last edited by BAW2; Feb 9, 2018 at 1:13 am Reason: commented inside quote
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Top secret!!

Very excitable chap boarded a flight from MUC to LHR today. As he was greeted by the Purser he announced - at the top of his voice - “I need to store this somewhere VERY secure” and presented a small leather bag.

“What is it?” Came the reply. I was in 1A and now quite curious. I was half expecting it to be the Elgin Marbles, or the cure for HIV, or a kidney on ice being taken to a sick child in London.

”It’s the latest new smart phone for a certain manufacturer. I am TESTING it. I don’t want to leave it in an overhead bin in case some nosy passenger photographs it. A certain share price could go through the roof if what is in here got into the public domain...”

A slightly bemused but very helpful purser placed it in the jacket cupboard.

Never once to miss an opportunity for a bit of fun I announced at the top of MY voice “I’m a gadget journalist. This is a scoop I’d love.”

Said wally then asked to be moved forward from 18F so he could keep an eye on it. Jealously observing the blocked 1C, I was relieved to hear the firm and polite “no” from the purser.

Fraser, DYKWIA, rossmacd and 6 others like this.

Last edited by HFHFFlyer; Mar 22, 2018 at 7:39 am Reason: error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.