Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Talking

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
”It’s the latest new smart phone for a certain manufacturer. I am TESTING it. I don’t want to leave it in an overhead bin in case some nosy passenger photographs it. A certain share price could go through the roof if what is in here got into the public domain...”
Assuming this is true, this person should be stripped of their "testing" capabilities and given a lesson on MNPI. Also maybe a lesson on how to not be a DYKWIA!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Very excitable chap boarded a flight from MUC to LHR today. As he was greeted by the Purser he announced - at the top of his voice - “I need to store this somewhere VERY secure” and presented a small leather bag.

“What is it?” Came the reply. I was in 1A and now quite curious. I was half expecting it to be the Elgin Marbles, or the cure for HIV, or a kidney on ice being taken to a sick child in London.

”It’s the latest new smart phone for a certain manufacturer. I am TESTING it. I don’t want to leave it in an overhead bin in case some nosy passenger photographs it. A certain share price could go through the roof if what is in here got into the public domain...”

A slightly bemused but very helpful purser placed it in the jacket cupboard.

Never once to miss an opportunity for a bit of fun I announced at the top of MY voice “I’m a gadget journalist. This is a scoop I’d love.”

Said wally then asked to be moved forward from 18F so he could keep an eye on it. Jealously observing the blocked 1C, I was relieved to hear the firm and polite “no” from the purser.

Unless the new smartphone was a retro remake of the Motorola 4800x he could have put it under his seat of course...
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
he could have put it under his seat of course...
There's another place where the sun doesn't shine that would have been better...
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by rumbataz
There's another place where the sun doesn't shine that would have been better...
Ah so, but he was too busy talking through it
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by rumbataz
Ouch!!!

Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Very excitable chap boarded a flight from MUC to LHR today. As he was greeted by the Purser he announced - at the top of his voice - “I need to store this somewhere VERY secure” and presented a small leather bag.

“What is it?” Came the reply. I was in 1A and now quite curious. I was half expecting it to be the Elgin Marbles, or the cure for HIV, or a kidney on ice being taken to a sick child in London.

A slightly bemused but very helpful purser placed it in the jacket cupboard.

Never once to miss an opportunity for a bit of fun I announced at the top of MY voice “I’m a gadget journalist. This is a scoop I’d love.”

Said wally then asked to be moved forward from 18F so he could keep an eye on it. Jealously observing the blocked 1C, I was relieved to hear the firm and polite “no” from the purser.

LOL people who handle genuinely sensitive information are absolutely close-lipped about every aspect of what they do, even among security-cleared colleagues behind big steel gates and inside who know's what layers of electronic protection. They simply do not chat about their work and would never ever say a word about it in public.

The guy above was a just a prat I think
rossmacd likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Also, imagine readng this thread and realising a post was about you* !!!

* Printing & Breakfast notwithstanding
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC
I think this is my favourite thread in this forum! So entertaining! (except when it goes off topic). Not sure this is strictly a DYKWIA story, but there it goes.

This January I was flying the SVQ-LGW route with my friend in the last row of CE. On the other side of the aisle there were a man and a woman in probably their late 30s (they seemed travel companions, but not sure they were a couple). They disembarked before us, and as soon as they reached the airbridge, the man expanded as much as he could with his arms and luggage, to make sure he was occupying the whole corridor and nobody was able to overtake him. Probably for him, flying in CE means you are entitled to leave the airport before anyone seating behind you.

Well… said man was not walking particularly fast (not sure this was on purpose), and eventually the corridor widened, so some people started overtaking him (yes man! It’s Gatwick, some people need to rush to get their trains and not risk having to wait 30 mins for the next one), and this was obviously annoying him! How dare they! As we were reaching the escalator, we were getting closer to him. We were not planning on overtaking him (yet), but he might have thought so, as he suddenly run to the escalator, expanded his arms so each piece of luggage covered one of the entries to the stairs, and then landed the 2 pieces of luggage on the stairs with a big “bang” sound whilst he shouted (in the most hooligan way) “IN YOUR FACE”.

Me and my friend just looked at each other like “Did I just see what I think?” as you do not expect such behaviour for someone that age! Even his travel companion must have been embarrassed about that. However this man seemed quite proud of his “feat”. I told my mate not to overtake him after the escalator. So as we approached the passport control at Gatwick, they turned right following the “UK/EU passport” control sign. However, from that side, following the “Non UK/EU passport” sign gets you to the e-gates much faster.

I hope he noticed us at the beginning of the queue when he arrived!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: LH
This post was originally meant to be about a guy who was boarding BA706 in priority lane. Full flight meant some carry ons had to be gate checked. I didnt get in time to witness the beginning of the conversation but I have arrived on time for the show. The guy got angry on the agent protesting about his decision and refusing to comply. The agent calmy repeated that he had agreed with the T&Cs and they allow only 1 item on board. The guy has become more and more rude and starting to throw his passport and BP at the agent.His final argument was, that EasyJet had never issue with the carry on. I could hear everyone around me to burst in laugh when he repeated this sentence again and again. In the end he has given up on the bag and proceeded to board.

This post is howecver about a woman who seeked one of the CC after boarding and I witnessed even better story. She was angry about having to gate check the bag and was demanding explanation on what basis was she selected. Poor CC had no idea, just explained, the flight is busy. She started to point out on empty spaces in the bins. CC replied that boarding is still in progress. Then she pulled out a new argument. She has been selected because she is a woman, that gate agents are only selecting women so all men are allowed to take their carry ons on board. With her voice rising and rising I have joined the conversation and said that I have seen man being forced to gate check his carry on. That made her speechless and with no more arguments she just sat down. Nevertheless the CC called the GA to explain it anyway, that there is no gender profiling in place. Yes, the GA was a woman.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:02 am

I flew back from JNB on Tuesday night. While waiting at the gate BA announced a 30 min delay in departure due to the "late arrival of the catering". Finally they announced they'd be boarding soon and asked "special needs" (the GA's words, not mine) passengers to come forward when a chap ran down to the gate, ducked under the barrier hollering "First! First! Surely you'll be boarding First first!?" He was politely requested to take a seat.
tynmar likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
I flew back from JNB on Tuesday night. While waiting at the gate BA announced a 30 min delay in departure due to the "late arrival of the catering". Finally they announced they'd be boarding soon and asked "special needs" (the GA's words, not mine) passengers to come forward when a chap ran down to the gate, ducked under the barrier hollering "First! First! Surely you'll be boarding First first!?" He was politely requested to take a seat.
what a tool.
Padmeister and BlackSkyuk like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by slayers_88
We were not planning on overtaking him (yet), but he might have thought so, as he suddenly run to the escalator, expanded his arms so each piece of luggage covered one of the entries to the stairs, and then landed the 2 pieces of luggage on the stairs with a big “bang” sound whilst he shouted (in the most hooligan way) “IN YOUR FACE”.
Sounds like a complete loony on a GLA-LHR flight some weeks back. He boarded last into the CE cabin looking somewhat flustered and decided to empty the belongings of another passenger out of the overhead locker, when they objected his response was somewhat abusive but fortunately CC intervened, made him stow his bag elsewhere and he seemed to behave himself for the rest of the flight from what I could see, until we were proceeding up the jet way at LHR when he pulled a similar stunt to what you detail above and tried to stamp on the feet of another passenger who overtook him, followed by shouting obscenities at them. I think he was quite lucky that his victim did not either retaliate or report him to staff (at least I assume he was not reported as they both went their separate ways).
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
Sounds like a complete loony on a GLA-LHR flight some weeks back. He boarded last into the CE cabin looking somewhat flustered and decided to empty the belongings of another passenger out of the overhead locker, when they objected his response was somewhat abusive but fortunately CC intervened, made him stow his bag elsewhere and he seemed to behave himself for the rest of the flight from what I could see, until we were proceeding up the jet way at LHR when he pulled a similar stunt to what you detail above and tried to stamp on the feet of another passenger who overtook him, followed by shouting obscenities at them. I think he was quite lucky that his victim did not either retaliate or report him to staff (at least I assume he was not reported as they both went their separate ways).
I arrived into DXB on KLM last week. After getting off the shuttle at T1 arrivals, there is an escalator that goes about 20 feet down next to some stairs. I had my quite heavy carry on bags so I used the escalator, and there were a couple of Chinese cabin crew behind me. I felt a sharp tap on the shoulder, and looked around. Some Dutch guy had reached over the Chinese and was indicating that I should start walking down the escalator... for the remaining 10 feet. I gave him a hard stare, and I would have probably said something I'd regret if it hadn't been at DXB
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I've had a couple of borderline DWKWIAs in the last couple of weeks.

Won't state the airport - but Gent standing right at the front of the Group 1 line with 20 mins to go to boarding, making sure he said hello to the GAs as they arrived, looking around in what I perceived as a self-important way.
First to board, again being very vocal with the GAs.
Turns out I was sitting next to him - he's been flying the same route weekly for years - was a bit DYKWIA'y in that he kept inferring that he knew all the flight crews on the route and then started hinting about there being a BA tier "higher than Gold" as I'd asked him if hew flew BA a lot. In fact he turned out to be really good company, funny, self-deprecating and not as self-important as I had thought. Was also entertaining when the CSD came to us and said it was great for him to have 2 x GGLs sitting next to each other so he could greet us both together

Second one - gent boards a shorthaul back to LHR last week. Drops his bag into a CE overhead and, when CC call after him, he shouts "I'm a Gold Card Holder" and carries on to quite far back on the plane. The CC decide not to pursue it. When we land at LHR, there's a problem with the airbridge and we have to de-plane from the rear door onto buses. Mr GCH is stuck in his seat waiting for the flight to empty so he can recover his carryon. I enjoyed that
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Won't state the airport - but Gent standing right at the front of the Group 1 line with 20 mins to go to boarding, making sure he said hello to the GAs as they arrived, looking around in what I perceived as a self-important way.
I may know who you are on about here...
hugolover and jerub like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.