Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Do you have to put a knife with a blade of no more than 6cm into a clear plastic bag, or is that just 100ml tubes of toothpaste?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
[QUOTE=englisha;29832659]
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
Whilst we are on the subject of clear bags, I once attempted to pass through STR security with a 105ml tube of toothpaste in my clear bag by accident. Apparently I had done this about 5 times previously and not noticed the size of it. /QUOTE]

I remember having a similar experience in Bangkok, transiting to Ko Samui a few years ago.. I think it's Colgate that sell toothpaste at 110 grams with the ml less than 100ml. I'd gotten it through Heathrow without a second thought but at Bangkok internal transfer recheck they told me they had to go with the higher number of the 2 and took it.
I have had that with Sydney. After having the security guy adamant that my 75ml toothpaste was to big he pounced on my other toiletries. I had a travel sized bottle of shampoo that I had been travelling with for over a year (topping up as and when). I had never noticed it said 110g. The security guy went full on major incident mode. It only got worse when I pointed out that ml are different to g and liquids can be heavier than water. I also said compare the size to my soap bottle which states 100ml

In the end I went f it just bin it. I then got grabbed for the random swap test, the guy there explained that the other guy was an idiot and nobody liked working with him as he tries to cause problems.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:52 pm

Is it absolutely necessary to morph the DYKWIA thread into a "what I put in my liquids bag" saga? It does appear to be losing traction somewhat in here. Perhaps start another thread where everyone with an interest in empty shampoo bottles and zip lock bags can share tips and anecdotes. It seems to be a popular pass time..... I'm here waiting for tales of the next bronze faux pas and witless world travelers trying to pull a fast one on the FT community
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by charlieboy77
Is it absolutely necessary to morph the DYKWIA thread into a "what I put in my liquids bag" saga?
And immediately prior to that we had the equally dull "what do you call the person who drives the plane" debate.

Perhaps the mods could take an axe to this thread, removing all but the proper DYKWIA posts.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
And immediately prior to that we had the equally dull "what do you call the person who drives the plane" debate.
To be fair, that debate was quite DYKWIA-ish
BlueThroughCrimp and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
To be fair, that debate was quite DYKWIA-ish
Yes we even had the captain pop out of the cabin to remind us all of our place! ^
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:42 am

Back on topic

A couple of weeks ago in the LHR CCR, a woman was standing at the bar telling the barman in very loud gory detail that she only ever flies BA F. And that if BA stopped flying a route or providing F service on that route, she "simply" would no longer travel to that location. "Ever, ever, EVER!"

The new, young chap behind the bar - been there a week or so - looked absolutely stunned/bored into silence. Was this his first public DYKWIA-ing, I wondered? Entering the void came his boss: "Well that's lovely madam, but what would you like to drink?"

"Oh, nothing." And she walked off.
wrp96, Cymro, memesweeper and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
On a flight recently in economy the two toilets on the left hand side of the 787 were out of use so I had to cross over the bulkhead extra leg room seats to the pair of toilets on the other side.

A bloke got very arsey with me because i had to climb over his legs. I'd just got off an overnight red eye and i came very close to shouting at him.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bmibaby737
On a flight recently in economy the two toilets on the left hand side of the 787 were out of use so I had to cross over the bulkhead extra leg room seats to the pair of toilets on the other side.

A bloke got very arsey with me because i had to climb over his legs. I'd just got off an overnight red eye and i came very close to shouting at him.
I'd have got "arsey" with you too; climbing over the legs of the passengers in the bulkhead seats is extremely inconsiderate.
DYKWIA, wrp96, KARFA and 13 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I'd have got "arsey" with you too; climbing over the legs of the passengers in the bulkhead seats is extremely inconsiderate.
Indeed... I can't believe anyone would think that's an appropriate thing to do.

I was on an EK flight a few years back where people were doing this to get across to the other aisle. They kept waking some poor bloke who was trying to get some sleep. I fixed it for him by putting the bassinet down - problem solved
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:45 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
[QUOTE=Diver Boy;29833636]
Originally Posted by englisha

I have had that with Sydney. After having the security guy adamant that my 75ml toothpaste was to big he pounced on my other toiletries. I had a travel sized bottle of shampoo that I had been travelling with for over a year (topping up as and when). I had never noticed it said 110g. The security guy went full on major incident mode. It only got worse when I pointed out that ml are different to g and liquids can be heavier than water. I also said compare the size to my soap bottle which states 100ml

In the end I went f it just bin it. I then got grabbed for the random swap test, the guy there explained that the other guy was an idiot and nobody liked working with him as he tries to cause problems.
I sometimes come across rude security staff in Europe. I'm used to having secondaries done because I travel with lenses and cameras and wires, but I have been barked at, back chatted in German with the staff assuming I don't understand them, a very dangerous thing to do as I am fairly proficient in the language, and I have been physically pushed when I object to them being rude. I have had fellow passengers advise me to be pragmatic and to just say yes sir no sir, but I hate abuse of power.

Last edited by itsmeitisss; Jun 6, 2018 at 4:53 am
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Indeed... I can't believe anyone would think that's an appropriate thing to do....
Well this is the DYKWIA thread
DYKWIA, wrp96 and Misco60 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
A couple of weeks ago in the LHR CCR, a woman was standing at the bar telling the barman in very loud gory detail that she only ever flies BA F. And that if BA stopped flying a route or providing F service on that route, she "simply" would no longer travel to that location. "Ever, ever, EVER!"

Hmm ...... haven’t heard that one before !

I guess there’s a fine line (or maybe no line at all ... ?) between DYKWIA comments / behaviour and simply being a total weirdo.

Even in these changing times, London can support more F class services / routes than probably any other city worldwide ; nonetheless, I suspect our First-only flyer may well find her list of acceptable locations narrowing somewhat in the years to come.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:56 am

as directed by the cabin crew. They didn't specifically say climb over his legs, but to use the toilets on the other side. As like i said, 2 toilets closed. And he was the only one occupying the 3 seats, what do you expect me to do?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Well this is the DYKWIA thread
i'm not quite that bad haha.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.