Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by subject2load

I guess there’s a fine line (or maybe no line at all ... ?) between DYKWIA comments / behaviour and simply being a total weirdo.
Very true
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
as directed by the cabin crew. They didn't specifically say climb over his legs, but to use the toilets on the other side. As like i said, 2 toilets closed. And he was the only one occupying the 3 seats, what do you expect me to do?
Go through the galley area.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Presumably the crew direction is to prevent passengers from going through the galley area.

The galley always needs to be the default, but if that's what the crew directed, it's not unacceptable for the passenger to walk over the bulkhead row. It is unacceptable in the absence of that direction, however.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
If someone had climbed over my legs, it wouldn't of bothered me as I Don't let small things like that wind me up. Perhaps thats why I found it acceptable.

i also generally listen to the crew as they hold the authority. He was the only one sat in the bulkhead row (3 seats in the middle) as it was an empty flight. Maybe if 3 people had been sat there they may of said otherwise.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Misco60
I'd have got "arsey" with you too; climbing over the legs of the passengers in the bulkhead seats is extremely inconsiderate.
Completely agree! Absolutely inconsiderate, and I would have been pretty annoyed too (and stretched my legs so as to prevent this move...!)
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Completely agree! Absolutely inconsiderate, and I would have been pretty annoyed too (and stretched my legs so as to prevent this move...!)
Like i said before. As directed by crew.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
If someone had climbed over my legs, it wouldn't of bothered me as I Don't let small things like that wind me up. Perhaps thats why I found it acceptable.
But if four/five/six/... passengers already did it and bumped into the passenger preventing him from sleeping?

i also generally listen to the crew as they hold the authority.
v.

They didn't specifically say climb over his legs, but to use the toilets on the other side.
..what do you expect me to do?
Walk down one aisle, walk up the other aisle if you can't pass through the galley area. Has the added benefit of getting a bit of exercise (which isn't a bad thing on a long haul flight).
gms, flygirl68 and HilFly like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
But if four/five/six/... passengers already did it and bumped into the passenger preventing him from sleeping?

v.

Walk down one aisle, walk up the other aisle if you can't pass through the galley area. Has the added benefit of getting a bit of exercise (which isn't a bad thing on a long haul flight).
Day time flight just as the seat belt sign went off this happened. Anyway this happened about a week ago now and i'm really not worried.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

I appreciate that you yourself consider it a small thing that wouldn’t wind you up. But in all honesty, I have to say that’s hardly a great benchmark for how one should behave when using public transport / facilities.

I’m guessing that most of us are of the view that it’s important to consider the feelings and likely perspective of others in life rather than just one’s own.

There are people in First class lounges (or indeed onboard aircraft) who put their bare feet on other seats / tables adjacent to them, or across the length of a sofa. Such people would not be ‘wound up’ by the sight of others doing the same ; and hence they find it “acceptable” to do so themselves.

Anyway ..... as you say .... you’re “really not worried” .
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by subject2load

I appreciate that you yourself consider it a small thing that wouldn’t wind you up. But in all honesty, I have to say that’s hardly a great benchmark for how one should behave when using public transport / facilities.

I’m guessing that most of us are of the view that it’s important to consider the feelings and likely perspective of others in life rather than just one’s own.

There are people in First class lounges (or indeed onboard aircraft) who put their bare feet on other seats / tables adjacent to them, or across the length of a sofa. Such people would not be ‘wound up’ by the sight of others doing the same ; and hence they find it “acceptable” to do so themselves.

Anyway ..... as you say .... you’re “really not worried” .
No I can't say I'm worried now. I disagree it was the wrong thing to do. But If it makes people feel better, I'm officially publicly apologising on here.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

A bloke got very arsey with me because i had to climb over his legs. I'd just got off an overnight red eye and i came very close to shouting at him.
No I can't say I'm worried now. I disagree it was the wrong thing to do. But If it makes people feel better, I'm officially publicly apologising on here.
Yet, you almost shouted at him for being (as it's this thread) a DYKWIA...

A case of reverse DYKWIA if I ever saw one
rracks55 and Cotumely like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:47 am

Yet, you almost shouted at him for being (as it's this thread) a DYKWIA...

A case of reverse DYKWIA if I ever saw one
perhaps i've made history today then
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:16 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
A non-apology worthy of a politician
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by gms
A non-apology worthy of a politician
i'll laugh it off and say i need to change professions then.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
ALG>LGW in CE a few weeks ago. I was in 1A, and went to place my cabin bag in OH locker (obviously couldn’t put it under seat in front of me). Locker above my seat already full, not a problem, so went to place it above 3D as it appeared empty. As I did so the passenger in 3F shot up, loudly informing me that “my bag is in there! I have a laptop in there! You can’t use it!”. His very small laptop rucksack was indeed in there, and not visible unless I stood taller and leaned in. I said I had a laptop in my bag too, I can’t see what the issue is if our bags are touching. He was getting more and more agitated, I explained that the locker isn’t solely for his personal use and that I will be placing my bag in there next to his whether he liked it or not. He then proceeded to remove his own bag and put it under his seat whilst huffing and puffing. Bizarre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.