Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:45 pm

Remind me of a few years back when I was upgraded at the gate on a VS LAX-LHR from Y to Upper Class. Got in the seat only to discover someone with my same surname and first initial had actually booked that seat. Major software glitch and somewhat worrying security wise too.

UC was full and I had to walk to Y in a very embarrassing and humiliating way as if I was some sort of self upgrader. And worse still, the seat I had booked was taken and I ended up in the last row. I was royally pee’d off.
FeedbirdNiner likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I had a bit of a DYKWTI at a hotel today, and got trumped too... For my BA sins, I've just got one of the new Virgin Money cards for Virgin Atlantic. In keeping with the Virgin Atlantic status cards, it's all design and sod the usability, so the front of the card is all about Virgin Atlantic, and the key details (eg credit card number) are on the rear. (When I had Virgin Atlantic status, the fact that all the key info was on that back caused no end of problems when flying with partner airlines)

Anyway, I get to the hotel tonight, say my name and hand over the shiny new Virgin credit card. They pull out my reservation, and ask for a credit card. I point to the one I've already given to them, and they look confused (#design #fail ). I explain it's really a credit card, and the card details are on the rear. They look confused, turn it over, then pop it in the credit card machine. Slight look of surprise when it actually works. I explain about the new card and the design. (Do You Know What That Is?)

Receptionist says "oh, right, that's quite a nice design. Last week we had a nice American chap with a shinier and really heavy card, I think it was made of metal or something. We all came to look! Anyway, welcome back, room 32 this week"

So, confused the staff with the new Virgin card, felt bad for cheating on BA with Virgin, and got trumped in the "bizarre and unusual credit card" stakes by someone with one of the really fancy US cards...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
I had a bit of a DYKWTI at a hotel today, and got trumped too... For my BA sins, I've just got one of the new Virgin Money cards for Virgin Atlantic. In keeping with the Virgin Atlantic status cards, it's all design and sod the usability, so the front of the card is all about Virgin Atlantic, and the key details (eg credit card number) are on the rear. (When I had Virgin Atlantic status, the fact that all the key info was on that back caused no end of problems when flying with partner airlines)

Anyway, I get to the hotel tonight, say my name and hand over the shiny new Virgin credit card. They pull out my reservation, and ask for a credit card. I point to the one I've already given to them, and they look confused (#design #fail ). I explain it's really a credit card, and the card details are on the rear. They look confused, turn it over, then pop it in the credit card machine. Slight look of surprise when it actually works. I explain about the new card and the design. (Do You Know What That Is?)

Receptionist says "oh, right, that's quite a nice design. Last week we had a nice American chap with a shinier and really heavy card, I think it was made of metal or something. We all came to look! Anyway, welcome back, room 32 this week"

So, confused the staff with the new Virgin card, felt bad for cheating on BA with Virgin, and got trumped in the "bizarre and unusual credit card" stakes by someone with one of the really fancy US cards...
My American Airlines executive world elite is like that. Heavy, shiny, and all the details on the back.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
My American Airlines executive world elite is like that. Heavy, shiny, and all the details on the back.

DYKWIA

Sorry couldn't resist
TeflonMan, T8191, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Gagravarr

Are there any metal cards in the UK yet except Amex Centurion? The Platinum Card in the US went to metal in the spring of last year and it seems as though in the UK a metal credit/charge card is a bit of a novelty.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
Are there any metal cards in the UK yet except Amex Centurion? The Platinum Card in the US went to metal in the spring of last year and it seems as though in the UK a metal credit/charge card is a bit of a novelty.
There was once a member of my industry (media) who had sleek, metal business cards to make him stand out. His cards were very popular but for some reason a lot of them kept suffering from an excess of white powder that appeared around the edges.....
Fraser, toothy, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PAL62V
There was once a member of my industry (media) who had sleek, metal business cards to make him stand out. His cards were very popular but for some reason a lot of them kept suffering from an excess of white powder that appeared around the edges.....
That must be the cheap anodising oxidising after manufacture.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
Like the Centurion card, Coutt's also have an invite only card that is metal. (Which is the only other one in available in the UK - that I know of)

If you want some crazy stuff, there are solid gold, gold mixed with other rare elements/gems. It's not unheard of in the diamond industry for someone to buy a bunch of tiny diamonds for their custom credit card.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
That must be the cheap anodising oxidising after manufacture.
I suspect the op was referring to a different white powder often utilised by those in the media industry.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Worcester

I suspect the op was referring to a different white powder often utilised by those in the media industry.
I suspect that the person you replied to was well aware of that.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by yurtripper

I suspect that the person you replied to was well aware of that.
In which case I humbly beseech their forgiveness for mansplaining or whatever is the correct term in this situation.
PAL62V and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Remind me of a few years back when I was upgraded at the gate on a VS LAX-LHR from Y to Upper Class. Got in the seat only to discover someone with my same surname and first initial had actually booked that seat. Major software glitch and somewhat worrying security wise too.

UC was full and I had to walk to Y in a very embarrassing and humiliating way as if I was some sort of self upgrader. And worse still, the seat I had booked was taken and I ended up in the last row. I was royally pee’d off.
That's very bad luck indeed, condolences on that one.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA; LH; AF
Originally Posted by Calum
Like the Centurion card, Coutt's also have an invite only card that is metal.

I thought the Coutts ones were Silk...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Calum
If you want some crazy stuff, there are solid gold, gold mixed with other rare elements/gems. It's not unheard of in the diamond industry for someone to buy a bunch of tiny diamonds for their custom credit card.
Would these cards still swipe through the machines? Or the diamonds get dislodged quick enough?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Would these cards still swipe through the machines? Or the diamonds get dislodged quick enough?
I have yet to have hands on experience with such a card, they are mainly issued/used in the middle east/asia. I can't see any issues with having diamonds encrusted on a card and I think the customers with the cards would get a little upset if the diamonds started falling off! These cards command big fees.

Here are a two examples - LINK - LINK

Metal cards should really become the standard, sending them back for recycling would be much better than the current cut them up.
memesweeper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.