Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Misco60
No-one prefers a middle seat but I, like your fellow passenger, would also have politely declined your offer to swap with one of you.

Selecting window and aisle is an inconsiderate tactic, and if you play that game you have to be prepared to lose sometimes.
My wife and I regularly select a window and aisle as I prefer the window seat and she prefers the aisle.
If someone is seated in the middle, they usually offer to switch with one of us but we politely decline.
I fail to see what is inconsiderate about selecting our preferred seats.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
No-one prefers a middle seat but I, like your fellow passenger, would also have politely declined your offer to swap with one of you.

Selecting window and aisle is an inconsiderate tactic, and if you play that game you have to be prepared to lose sometimes.
what a lose - lose situation.
cutting the nose to spite the face say?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I had a scenario a while back when I had an aisle seat, during boarding the middle seat was occupied and at boarding completed the window was empty. I suggested to the lady in the middle seat that she might like to move to give us more room, she declined stating she didn't like to sit at the window. I offered to sit there but she then said she didn't like aisle seats either and only felt safe in a middle seat.

I think that's called lose, lose!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:13 am

Seat selection is first come, first served. There is nothing inconsiderate in selecting your preferred seats, to the disadvantage of latecomers.

By your logic, when selecting produce in the grocery store, you should select the spoiled or bruised produce so that you are not being inconsiderate of other shoppers arriving later in the day.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Seat selection is first come, first served. There is nothing inconsiderate in selecting your preferred seats, to the disadvantage of latecomers.
Many cinema and theatre booking websites prevent customers in the same booking from choosing seats that are not adjacent to each other or which would leave a single empty seat between two groups of customers. I would like to see BA implement a similar restriction on their website.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Silver

Why would I deliberately choose a middle seat? Most of the time, the aircraft has spare seats and deliberately choosing a poor seat option just doesn’t make sense. I also don’t see how this is inconsiderate as the person assigned the middle seat is usually somebody without status and s/he usually ends up with a window or aisle seat towards the front. As for “losing”, it’s hardly a loss on such a short flight, just nice to have a little extra space when the plan works.

But you would decline in favour of less comfort, just to make a point that doesn’t need to be made? Hair shirt anyone?
PAL62V and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you feel it's inconsiderate if two people traveling together choose two aisle seats across from one another? This is my common booking strategy.
​​​​​​Do you view this as a cheat since one traveling party is occurring two aisle seats to the detriment of other passengers who want an aisle seat?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Many cinema and theatre booking websites prevent customers in the same booking from choosing seats that are not adjacent to each other or which would leave a single empty seat between two groups of customers. I would like to see BA implement a similar restriction on their website.
PLEASE NO! I often book to fly with my butler to carry my bags on for me, then I send him back to the rear of the aircraft until we arrive. Fancy having to have staff sit next to one!
sahajesh, T8191 and BAEC like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ginger50
PLEASE NO! I often book to fly with my butler to carry my bags on for me, then I send him back to the rear of the aircraft until we arrive. Fancy having to have staff sit next to one!
Even worse it might force me to sit next to my OH in CW. I like a quite flight of drink, movies and sleeping. Added to which we'd have a real argument over who gets the window seat.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:41 am

Is it possible to steer away from the seat selection strategies, and focus on the (usually entertaining) DYKWIA stories?
LCY8737, 1Aturnleft, T8191 and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
Do you feel it's inconsiderate if two people traveling together choose two aisle seats across from one another?
No, I don't, as this is obviously not a ploy to keep the seat between you free.

But we're getting off-topic here; this is the DYKWIA thread.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I don't, as this is obviously not a ploy to keep the seat between you free.

But we're getting off-topic here; this is the DYKWIA thread.
You're right. I think some, yourself included, see selecting seats by preference - not many prefer the middle - when traveling as a couple is DYKWIA. I just wondered how far that extended.
Row9 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I was departing Malta on Thursday on the BA 2645 that had a late aircraft change, it was due to be G-MEDK and I was seated in 2F. The aircraft was subbed to G-GATK. And the checkin opened 2hrs late due to the late arrival, and I have to say it was the most disorganised Check in I have ever had the misfortune to endure. When I got to the lounge I saw the seat had been changed to 1A (no problem I thought) after I boarded and took my seat a Highlift loaded some passengers with limited mobility as the were moving down the cabin a woman shouted "your in my seat I booked it in January" I said "here's my boarding pass and I have been allocated this seat, it's probably down to the aircraft change and there is no bulkhead. But let the CSM sort the seating out" she then threw me visual daggers and scowled and said "that's my seat" Then the CSM explained and seated her in her allocated seat. Not quite DYKWIA but DYKTMS
(Do You Know That's My Seat)
John
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by thejohn
Not quite DYKWIA but DYKTMS
I don't know what it is with 1A and Gatwick lately but everyone who appears not to have it is laying claim to it
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

I'll say it....

Depends how fit the missus is...
DYKWIA, PAL62V, aidy and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.