Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
What is this now? The DYKWIA oneworld thread?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
This thread is a continuation of the ever popular DYKWIA - The 2017 thread.

Airports are funny places. While they are increasingly designed to both complement and positively influence human behaviour, some of our fellow passengers do on occasion suffer a complete loss of composure and/or self awareness. This thread celebrates those amusing lapses of, well, lets call it social etiquette.
Originally Posted by Marschel
No mention that it has to be BA specific.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Marschel
... he was a BA Gold (+)....
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Reminds me of the (in)famous “But, I’m a diamond member” video. I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting!

(On the other hand, I do cringe just a little when people give GCH a bad reputation with things like this...)
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A GCH should be both humble and grateful for the magnificent benefits bestowed on him/her, such as ... umm ... some stuff, including very occasionally being greeted by name.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by krispy84
Plus I hate being called "mate" 😞
I'd suggest having the "I'm not your mate" retort on standby for next time
argonath likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
It usually comes to me when I’m halfway down the jet-bridge.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Bonus points if you're Scottish or Northern Irish, and word it "I'm not your mate, pal!"
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
i normally ask, “I’m sorry, have we been formally introduced?”

Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:24 pm

As someone who has spent many years in Australia where the term 'mate' is used in almost every social situation, I was surprised earlier this year when I was at the other end of this sort of conversation. Just been having a bit of a 'debate' with a feisty, rude and somewhat difficult Aussie in a work situation. I said something like, "I'm sure we can work out the best way to tackle this, mate" and was met with a "Don't call ME mate!".

Cue looks of surprise from everyone else because nobody in Australia would ever say that!
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Fellow Australian to give some additional cultural and linguistic context.

Australian English has certain words that have many meanings depending on the tonal variation in pronunciation. Mate is the big example, but there are other notable ones.

Maaaate (long drawn out a sound, clipped t): "salutations sir, I have not seen you in a while and it is good to see you! I am pleased to see you in the lounge today"
Maaate (undulating a, quiet t): "my friend, what you are doing right now is somewhat questionable. Perhaps do not cut into the group 1 line, you and I are group 3 and you know it."
Mate (very short, a little loud, barked): "I saw you taking all the Marmite from the galleries north lounge and our relationship is now very strained as a result."
Maaaate (rising tone on the a, undulating): "perhaps you should pay attention to the fact that our flight is boarding."

It's a versatile word. This is just the single word sentence variations, it can be used in context and with tones to address a multitude of dykwia moments.
timol, Wong Jnr, CoweyB and 17 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:43 pm

Thanks for the very elucidating explanation on mating rituals!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Saw a DYKWIA last night whilst waiting to fly back to NCL

Arrived at the gate to see 'boarding' and so lined up. About a min or so after I join the line the gate agent comes over to us all to say that the inbound aircraft had been delayed (and we were actually delayed one hour after getting on the flight) and boarding wouldn't be commencing for another 5 - 10 mins

The man of the couple just infront of me started yelling 'But I left the lounge because you said it was boarding, you told me its boarding, I could have been in the lounge' and then stormed off..

Galleries First was packed anyway!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:47 am

BA794 last Sat -

Gate agents calls out Group 1, 'Guy 1' some far distance back, shouts "excuse me everyone" 'guy 2' who's ahead of guy 1 but (behind me) then shouts back "Group 1 here as well" and waves his phone with his 'BA Gold Boarding pass' to everyone. That was quite funny to see. Guy 2 had the audacity to push past me. What a w****r.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:53 am

Today's BA696 to VIE.

On boarding the plane, I saw a woman sitting on a man's lap in 1A. That was soo odd to see. Do BA offer lap dancers now? 🤔😬
spotbeagle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.