Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Fontana
Today's BA696 to VIE.

On boarding the plane, I saw a woman sitting on a man's lap in 1A. That was soo odd to see. Do BA offer lap dancers now? 🤔😬
Only to GGL and Prem.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Fontana
Today's BA696 to VIE.

On boarding the plane, I saw a woman sitting on a man's lap in 1A. That was soo odd to see. Do BA offer lap dancers now? 🤔😬
1C is rather prone to the odd head smack or four from the backpackers..
LTN Phobia, T8191 and Fontana like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Pc2k24
Saw a DYKWIA last night whilst waiting to fly back to NCL

Arrived at the gate to see 'boarding' and so lined up. About a min or so after I join the line the gate agent comes over to us all to say that the inbound aircraft had been delayed (and we were actually delayed one hour after getting on the flight) and boarding wouldn't be commencing for another 5 - 10 mins

The man of the couple just infront of me started yelling 'But I left the lounge because you said it was boarding, you told me its boarding, I could have been in the lounge' and then stormed off..

Galleries First was packed anyway!
Yes cws has been stressed about the poor harvest poor chap.
bil likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I was a DYKWIA the other week. Traveling JFK to LHR in CW, I arrived at the BA First Lounge and wearily handed over my boarding pass after a long day.

"I'm sorry sir, this lounge is for passengers traveling in first class, you can use the business lounge."

"Isn't this a Oneworld Emerald lounge?"

"Yes, Oneworld Emerald passengers can use this lounge as well."

"Oh good," I said, and turned as if to walk towards the entry.

"Sir, the business lounge is that way"

"I'm Emerald"

"Sir, Emerald is the highest Oneworld tier"

I gather she'd had other 20-something year olds try to argue their way into the lounge before so I didn't take offence. I pulled out my Qantas FF card and then it dawned on both of us that my FF number was missing from my boarding pass. I'd been rebooked onto a new flight due to weather delays and whoever rebooked me didn't transfer my FF details. After an apology each way we laughed about it and, best of all, she bumped me into one of the empty first class seats to make it up to me, even though it wasn't really her fault.
SWISSBOBBY, T8191, wrp96 and 9 others like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by warreng
I was a DYKWIA the other week. Traveling JFK to LHR in CW, I arrived at the BA First Lounge and wearily handed over my boarding pass after a long day.

"I'm sorry sir, this lounge is for passengers traveling in first class, you can use the business lounge."

"I'm Emerald"

I gather she'd had other 20-something year olds try to argue their way into the lounge before so I didn't take offence. I pulled out my Qantas FF card and then it dawned on both of us that my FF number was missing from my boarding pass. I'd been rebooked onto a new flight due to weather delays and whoever rebooked me didn't transfer my FF details. After an apology each way we laughed about it and, best of all, she bumped me into one of the empty first class seats to make it up to me, even though it wasn't really her fault.
So not only you were a DYKWIA, but it paid off??
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by RG1X
I tend to aim to get to the gate about 25 mins before departure on BA. I'm not a fan of sitting around at the gate so given the choice I'd rather arrive once boarding had already started.
I work on the theory that your not actually late till they call you be name. Did nearly come unstuck a few years back, when the flight only had 25 people onboard.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by warreng

"I'm Emerald"

You got bumped from CW to F on the whim of lounge staff? Because you were short with her and then you both apologised?
Not being funny but I didn't realise the lounge staff could just upgrade people willy nilly. Sounds like this was 1965, not the strict era of no upgrades unless computer algorithm says so!
TraumaDoc likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:22 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by 13900
plus another one that seemed to be testing positively to explosives. Security and the cops were called, yours truly had his pass revoked, reprimanded and briefly put in handcuffs until the explosive issue was sorted.
Seems quite harsh. Whenever I travel with my army backback, which when tested is obviously positive, I never really have a problem being let through anyway (after the backpack has been searched.). I never thought these tests are enough basis to actually have yourself been put in handcuffs as there are so many reasons why this test can be positive. A small logical explanation normally suffizes.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
1C is rather prone to the odd head smack or four from the backpackers..
Every backpack sold should come with an instruction card as to when to carry it by hand rather than on the back. DYKYAWABP (Do you know you are wearing a back pack).
NoY, T8191 and Irreverent Medusa like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Sounds like this was 1965, not the strict era of no upgrades unless computer algorithm says so!
Oneworld was launched on 1 Feb 1999. Could not have been before that date...
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
You got bumped from CW to F on the whim of lounge staff? Because you were short with her and then you both apologised?
Not being funny but I didn't realise the lounge staff could just upgrade people willy nilly. Sounds like this was 1965, not the strict era of no upgrades unless computer algorithm says so!
Actually, in my experience lounge staff seem to be able to do just about everything gate staff can do, including upgrades. They're incredibly helpful people to have on side during weather/other delays, it never hurts to be nice to them. This was just one of those situations where it had obviously been a long day for both of us and I gather she sensed from my demeanour that I was tired and genuinely confused rather than being an entitled so-and-so.

Amidst delayed/cancelled flights it's not uncommon for people to be moved around cabins to make sure every seat is filled. Can't really afford to have empty seats, even in first, when you have an airport terminal/hotels full of passengers from earlier cancelled flights.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Seems quite harsh. Whenever I travel with my army backback, which when tested is obviously positive, I never really have a problem being let through anyway (after the backpack has been searched.). I never thought these tests are enough basis to actually have yourself been put in handcuffs as there are so many reasons why this test can be positive. A small logical explanation normally suffizes.
Used to travel on a certain train all the time. The regular ticket checker was Ex-Army and always greeted people (obvious to those in the know) with "excuse me sir, you are in the wrong carriage, you are in 1st class".
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jerub

It's a versatile word. This is just the single word sentence variations, it can be used in context and with tones to address a multitude of dykwia moments.
So mate is like the Australian version of the US Southern 'Bless your heart/bless their heart'.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by beachmouse
So mate is like the Australian version of the US Southern 'Bless your heart/bless their heart'.
It’s all in the tone, mate.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: Gold Actually
Smile

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi

It’s all in the tone, mate.
Don't call me maaaatte!!
BadgerBoi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.