Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
LTN, you are too much of a lady to just say loud ... "Shut UP and SIT DOWN."
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by T8191
LTN, you are too much of a lady to just say loud ... "Shut UP and SIT DOWN."
If he had a nasty tone, I would have happily said that (I've become terribly bossy in my middle age), but the way he said it did not even have a skerrick of nastiness whatsoever.

It was like a happy chortle the way he said it, which made it a really bizarre experience.

It really brought home the point that it's not necessarily what you say, but how you say it that matters a lot! (I guess the same can be said on the forum...)
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CR
Good point raised. I’m the antithesis (I hope) of DYKHIA but there is always that slight awkwardness if you are at the front and need to put a bag in the overhead with people waiting to go to their seat
krispy84 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Virazuno
I have to say, the angle is quite impressive. Always wonder whether these positions are actually comfortable though?!
They aren't. Least for me they aren't. I tried, because I could: and gave up.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Had a DYKWIA moment this morning.....

Scrum to board the 208 from MIA last night. Managed to gate-check stroller with about 30 people climbing over me to board. No pre-take-off drinks served in CW to our side of the cabin because apparently there wasn't enough time. We had to watch the other side of the plane sip on their champagne. Full cabin lights left on for take-off in hours of darkness - that made our infant fairly uncomfortable.

Land in LHR - no stroller. The ground staff in MIA didn't manage to move it the 10 meters from the air bridge to the plane.

I may have been a bit grumpy at the lost baggage desk!

Last edited by Adstring; Nov 14, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If he had a nasty tone, I would have happily said that (I've become terribly bossy in my middle age), but the way he said it did not even have a skerrick of nastiness whatsoever.

It was like a happy chortle the way he said it, which made it a really bizarre experience.

It really brought home the point that it's not necessarily what you say, but how you say it that matters a lot! (I guess the same can be said on the forum...)
Especially as written messages can't really carry the tone, so some tongue-in-cheek comments might be taken the wrong way. Don't forget to use smileys ;-)
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
GLA to LHR last night 15th on 19.15 flight. I'm standing near the middle of group 1 (about 10th) and the GA comes along and speaks to everyone around. Please have a look at your boarding card for the group number.
Cue some bloke 5 behind me who starts ranting at him. "This is not good for customers, what about the old system where we just boarded" You're not listening to customers" "WE, (now obviously speaking for ALL BA customers) don't like this stupid , crazy, setup" "I have had 10 flights this month and this never happens"

ME to GA: I quite like it, much better than the old scrum"
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Was at LGW last week, boarding a domestic at Gate 4. This is one of the gates where the face scanner is immediately in front of the boarding pass check.

My partner and I were waiting in the Group 1 queue for a few mins before boarding was called - usual vagueness about boarding time at LGW so a few people ahead of us in the queue and a few behind us.

Boarding is called and we start moving forward. All good. Suddenly a woman appears from the side and barges through the queue and straight to the boarding pass scan, skipping the face scanner. Gate agent tells her politely she needs to do the ID check first so she tries to cut in front of the person who is just about to move onto the yellow footsteps. Agent is having none of it - tells her to wait her turn and join the back of the queue.

“But I’m group one” says madam. “And so are the people in that queue, and they were here before you” says gate agent. Madam sheepishly goes to the back of the line, muttering to herself.

Well done gate crew for seeing off a proper DYKWIA!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Not my photo, just spotted on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ianpurcell/statu...05446719176704
How is this in any way comfortable??
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
Cue some bloke 5 behind me who starts ranting at him. "This is not good for customers, what about the old system where we just boarded" You're not listening to customers" "WE, (now obviously speaking for ALL BA customers) don't like this stupid , crazy, setup"
That was @Saltire74 I believe
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
How is this in any way comfortable??
I guess we're all different. I would happily sit like that all flight if I could. I find the default (unreclined) angle of the seats in convential sitting pose to be particularly uncomfortable. After about 15 minutes I tend to develop a pretty intense lower back pain, which can be relieved by either reclining - that couple of degrees somehow makes a lot of difference, or elevating my feet.

But then I'd sit cross legged if I could. I don't do knees together bolt upright very well at all.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:02 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That was @Saltire74 I believe
It wasn’t me but I did overhear the conversation 😬
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
@Saltire74. Were you standing or sitting down. I was the first standing person before the seats.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:32 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
@Saltire74. Were you standing or sitting down. I was the first standing person before the seats.
I was sitting down in the group 2 seats, 3rd or 4th in line. Another opportunity missed to meet a fellow Flyertalker

I didn’t hear the full conversation but I saw the ground agent keeping it (or making a very good attempt at) jovial.

S
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Not quite DYKWIA but just as poor conduct... Someone was clipping his toenails on a flight.

OK, there is perhaps more space and comfort level is better in an F seat than in the loo, but need you do that there in public, when both loos were free? It wasn't an emergency removal of split nail or something like that either. It was lots of clip, clip, clip, clip, clip, clip, clip....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.