Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
6cm metal blade is somehow less dangerous than a bottle of water?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Out of interest, why would you need to carry a pocket knife with a blade of up to 7cm in your carry-on? Genuine question, no criticism implied!
AlanA likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Row9
Out of interest, why would you need to carry a pocket knife with a blade of up to 7cm in your carry-on? Genuine question, no criticism implied!
presumably not to actually have on the aircraft...bit if travelling without checked luggage on a trip a penknife might be useful, then obviously it would be in carry on...
Dover2Golf, Row9 and Nick Art like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:46 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Well, the limit is 6 cm. It has been for quite some time now.
I suppose you are right. I wasn‘t sure if it was 7 or 6, but I remembered that my knife was just below the legal limit, which in this case would be just below 6cm.
I will correct this now.

Originally Posted by krispy84
Nick Art - Your rather obvious misspelling of Edinburgh, twice, will loose you some sympathy I think.
Originally Posted by krispy84

The perils of posting at 0200.

I’ll get my hat ......
Please give me the benefit of the doubt, typing on a tiny phone at 2am with a german keyboard is not one of my strenghts.
However, I have corrected my post now, just for you. If that is not enough to ease your anger, you may bring forth the lynch mob, purchase some stones and beards and stone me once the official has determined that no women are present.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by Nick Art; Nov 1, 2018 at 3:00 am
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by rickg523
Spelling class continues.
You meant "lose," you wrote "loose."
Loose/lose must be the most common spelling mistake on the interweb.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Row9
Originally Posted by ratypus

presumably not to actually have on the aircraft...bit if travelling without checked luggage on a trip a penknife might be useful, then obviously it would be in carry on...
While I think the explanation: Because I‘m Swiss, would suffice, there are further reasons: A pocket knife is just really really practical and while I do usually put it in the checked luggage, for this trip I had just forgotten about it. So, I don‘t usually take one with me on ths plane (out of fear of having to give it up, for example spain is quite strict).
Row9 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Loose/lose must be the most common spelling mistake on the interweb.
With there/their/they’re close behind
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Considering many people on FT have English as their second language I am not sure anyone is made to feel welcome by having their spelling and grammar corrected like a schoolchild. I am a native English speaker and I still get things wrong!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
On a LHR - NYC flight recently, a lady was stood right by the start of the group 1 ropes and started getting very huffy when Group 1 was called and people started to move past her to board. ‘But I’m business class’. When someone pointed out she was Group 2, she immediately pushed to the front of the Group 2 line and stood at attention holding her boarding pass out in front of her!! She ended up sat a few seats back from me in CW and was loudly asking a stewardess ‘what’s the difference between Group 1 and Group 2 on this airline?!’ Steward: ‘Group 1 is for First Class and Gold holders’. Lady raised her voice so we could all here how important she was ‘Well I try to avoid flying this airline if I can. I am top tier status with Virgin and Delta don’t you know!’

Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Considering many people on FT have English as their second language I am not sure anyone is made to feel welcome by having their spelling and grammar corrected like a schoolchild. I am a native English speaker and I still get things wrong!
Well said.

I wish I could post as well as some people on here in my 2nd or 3rd language.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother

With there/their/they’re close behind
dispute that... to and too
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
“ ... and now we return listeners to the original programme.”
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art

While I think the explanation: Because I‘m Swiss, would suffice, there are further reasons: A pocket knife is just really really practical and while I do usually put it in the checked luggage, for this trip I had just forgotten about it. So, I don‘t usually take one with me on ths plane (out of fear of having to give it up, for example spain is quite strict).
A Swiss army knife is the best multi-national plug adaptor you will ever use. This is the DYKWIA thread though, so I'll just grab my coat...
Nick Art likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by xPositor
A Swiss army knife is the best multi-national plug adaptor you will ever use. This is the DYKWIA thread though, so I'll just grab my coat...
I have not attempted to use my swiss army knife as a tool in a DYKIHASAK way to get to board the plane earlier or get me rebooked better yet. Now I think about it I'm sure one could also argue ones way into the Lounge with it as well... I'm sure it'd be a persuasive argument!

What could go wrong?

Spoiler

mrvincent likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:17 am

Would have had a strong urge to walk up to her, fall on my knees and bow in awe....... mumbling, "I am a lowly GCH, just GHC, oh forgive me Ma'am"
Originally Posted by Cheapskate22
On a LHR - NYC flight recently, a lady was stood right by the start of the group 1 ropes and started getting very huffy when Group 1 was called and people started to move past her to board. ‘But I’m business class’. When someone pointed out she was Group 2, she immediately pushed to the front of the Group 2 line and stood at attention holding her boarding pass out in front of her!! She ended up sat a few seats back from me in CW and was loudly asking a stewardess ‘what’s the difference between Group 1 and Group 2 on this airline?!’ Steward: ‘Group 1 is for First Class and Gold holders’. Lady raised her voice so we could all here how important she was ‘Well I try to avoid flying this airline if I can. I am top tier status with Virgin and Delta don’t you know!’

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.