Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
Private schools started adopting two-week October half term holidays when they started the autumn term earlier and earlier as the end of the summer term crept earlier and earlier because the dates of the public exams were doing the same, and it proved impossible to do any meaningful educative stuff with those who had taken them, which could be 40% of the pupils in a 13-18 school. I taught in such an establishment (boarding) in the 1980s and no matter how hard we tried, they would not take 'introduction to A levels' classes seriously and just spent their time out in the fields smoking, getting drunk or worse; so we sent them home. By the 1990s the autumn term was now stretching from the beginning of September nearly to Christmas, which was nearly half of the teaching days in an academic year and far too long for people (staff or students) to keep on the boil, so the two-week break was actually beneficial for everyone.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:17 am
Suspended

God knows how these delicate souls would handle university if they can't handle school days from Sept - Christmas!
FEMW likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by simonrp84
God knows how these delicate souls would handle university if they can't handle school days from Sept - Christmas!
Because University seems to go from the beginning of October to the end of November, and young rapidex is trying to duck out of the last couple of days of that.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
At my local university the Michaelmas Term is eight weeks - precisely half the length of time from the beginning of September to the week before Christmas.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by FEMW
Cheers! We've done quite a few on the Southside - all primaries and nurseries as we don't do secondaries. Now I have to work out which one it is! :-)
Quite a bit off topic now, so have PM'd you.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
For a minute I thought I'd clicked on the DYKWIA topic
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Did You Know When I Are Educated.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by T8191
Did You Know When I Are Educated.
Being a Crawley born lad, I'm far too un-posh for this level of education. :-D
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
OK, folks ... I guess we should revert to the proper topic
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
But precisely darling, it's not what you know, but who you know.... (INWYKBWYK)....
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:34 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, even for a thread as wide ranging as this one is we’ve managed to steer an awfully long way off-topic! Discussing individual school holiday arrangements really is not an example of DYKWIA and doesn’t fit well here at all. Could we please return to topic?

/mod
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
A very minor event just now in T5 GF lounge, but in an attempt to get the thread away from dull school holidays chat......

Marmite just ran out (a downside of the individual tiny pots) and a very disgruntled guy looked like his eyes were going to pop out of his head, followed by a very loud 'outrageous!' before scuttling away muttering under his breath.

First world problems.
BoeBus likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by bhbloke
A very minor event just now in T5 GF lounge, but in an attempt to get the thread away from dull school holidays chat......

Marmite just ran out (a downside of the individual tiny pots) and a very disgruntled guy looked like his eyes were going to pop out of his head, followed by a very loud 'outrageous!' before scuttling away muttering under his breath.

First world problems.
Your GF lounge is a hotbed of entitlement and drunken boorishness. No wonder Alex Cruz prefers to hang out in Galleries where we are all patting him on the back for upgrading our bacon butties.
Markie, adrianlondon and bhbloke like this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by smokie36
Your GF lounge is a hotbed of entitlement and drunken boorishness. No wonder Alex Cruz prefers to hang out in Galleries where we are all patting him on the back for upgrading our bacon butties.
wait, what? I really miss the old style bacon and omlette rolls.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'll have bring my own then.... if they do <100ml jars... .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.