Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ConfusedByBAEC
Probably not quite a DYKWIA but travelling from MAN-LHR a couple of days ago, the gentleman travelling in 1A was the last to board. He opened up the overhead and took out the bag and hat box that were in there in order to put his own case in.

He then proceeded to unsuccessfully try and ram the other items in which it became clear belonged to a member of the cabin crew. Said cabin crew member then came and took the items from the gentleman and began looking for somewhere else to store them.

What amazed me was that this was not a case of somebody making a fuss. There were no words exchanged at all. The guy just assumed he had the right to remove somebody else's possessions and place his luggage in their place because he was in 1A and wanted his bag right above him. I know some people get frustrated at crew using the overhead but it just struck me as incredibly rude to remove somebody else's bags to make space for your own without even asking them.

On my return yesterday evening I was also amazed by the number of people who seem to get personally offended when one item of their carry on is given the yellow tag.
I would say that's classic DYKWIA given that the 'gentleman' didn't know the items were placed there by a flight attendant.

I witnessed a similar episode a few weeks but this was after the plane had landed and arrived at the gate. As soon as the seatbelt sign dinged off, this moron in his 50's who was sitting on the window seat of a 737 tries to get up and get past both me (on the aisle) and the person in the middle while barking 'excuse me, excuse me, I need my bag', rather than waiting until the PAX ahead of him disembarked.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
(to which I of course answered, "Thank you, you too"...)
I do that - and then can't go back and correct it as it makes the situation worse
alex67500 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ConfusedByBAEC
Probably not quite a DYKWIA but travelling from MAN-LHR a couple of days ago, the gentleman travelling in 1A was the last to board. He opened up the overhead and took out the bag and hat box that were in there in order to put his own case in.

He then proceeded to unsuccessfully try and ram the other items in which it became clear belonged to a member of the cabin crew. Said cabin crew member then came and took the items from the gentleman and began looking for somewhere else to store them.

What amazed me was that this was not a case of somebody making a fuss. There were no words exchanged at all. The guy just assumed he had the right to remove somebody else's possessions and place his luggage in their place because he was in 1A and wanted his bag right above him. I know some people get frustrated at crew using the overhead but it just struck me as incredibly rude to remove somebody else's bags to make space for your own without even asking them.

On my return yesterday evening I was also amazed by the number of people who seem to get personally offended when one item of their carry on is given the yellow tag.

About 12 years ago I was on a USAirways flight, in economy. I was settled in, and had put by roller up in the bin. Near the end of boarding a guy walks up, opens the bin, removes my bag, places it in the aisle and puts his own bag where mine was. I immediately called him out on it, and he whined that he had no place to put his. An FA stepped in and put my bag back up, and took his forwards. I couldn't believe the gall of this guy.
Annalisa12 and TWCLAM like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
About 12 years ago I was on a USAirways flight, in economy. I was settled in, and had put by roller up in the bin. Near the end of boarding a guy walks up, opens the bin, removes my bag, places it in the aisle and puts his own bag where mine was. I immediately called him out on it, and he whined that he had no place to put his. An FA stepped in and put my bag back up, and took his forwards. I couldn't believe the gall of this guy.
I have seen the exact same behaviour on a flight from Glasgow to Gatwick, luckily it wasn’t my bag but another passengers. Other passengers alerted the moved bag owners and cabin crew who swiftly sorted out the chancer in the back LOL
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
A BA 767 flight. Boarded from the 1st door, and further on into the boarding process, I saw someone dump his bag in the overhead locker just by row 1, squashing a lady's bag and being quite rough with it, although she wouldn't have seen it because she was sitting directly underneath. I was about to say something when he walked off after bashing his bag in.

I assumed he was in row 3 or 4 (I was in row 2), but no, he stopped by an empty seat in row 5, picked up some things from it (I couldn't see what exactly, but probably a pillow and a blanket) and walked past the bulkhead (as it turns out the CE ended at the bulkhead so he was in ET). He obviously was seated nowhere near where he dumped the bag, and I thought it was really rude that he picked up things from an empty seat as the boarding wasn't even complete at that point.

I was going to report the bag as being in an inappropriate location if a CE passenger couldn't find a space to put theirs, or if the CE passenger turns up at the empty seat and couldn't find the blanket/pillow, but everyone managed to find a space and no-one turned up in the seat from where the guy pilfered something.

Then we got off from the 2nd door to my delight. The guy would have had to make excuses to come over to row 1 from down the back after all CE passengers had disembarked. I was rather pleased to see that his inappropriate bag conduct (particularly where he was rough with other people's belongings but also dumping his bag with no due consideration for other people) was not rewarded.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
A BA 767 flight. Boarded from the 1st door, and further on into the boarding process, I saw someone dump his bag in the overhead locker just by row 1, squashing a lady's bag and being quite rough with it, although she wouldn't have seen it because she was sitting directly underneath. I was about to say something when he walked off after bashing his bag in.

I assumed he was in row 3 or 4 (I was in row 2), but no, he stopped by an empty seat in row 5, picked up some things from it (I couldn't see what exactly, but probably a pillow and a blanket) and walked past the bulkhead (as it turns out the CE ended at the bulkhead so he was in ET). He obviously was seated nowhere near where he dumped the bag, and I thought it was really rude that he picked up things from an empty seat as the boarding wasn't even complete at that point.

I was going to report the bag as being in an inappropriate location if a CE passenger couldn't find a space to put theirs, or if the CE passenger turns up at the empty seat and couldn't find the blanket/pillow, but everyone managed to find a space and no-one turned up in the seat from where the guy pilfered something.

Then we got off from the 2nd door to my delight. The guy would have had to make excuses to come over to row 1 from down the back after all CE passengers had disembarked. I was rather pleased to see that his inappropriate bag conduct (particularly where he was rough with other people's belongings but also dumping his bag with no due consideration for other people) was not rewarded.
Am I the only one who may have been tempted* to move the offending bag and place in a bin on the other side of the aircraft, thereby making it more problematic for the culprit to find his bag?

*not saying I would before others have a moan about moving other people’s possessions
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by madfish

Am I the only one who may have been tempted* to move the offending bag and place in a bin on the other side of the aircraft, thereby making it more problematic for the culprit to find his bag?

*not saying I would before others have a moan about moving other people’s possessions
Haha, I see what you mean! It would have been good if it had to be moved elsewhere and it'd have forced him to look for it, although I'm the same, I wouldn't move other people's possessions without their express permission, although this guy would have deserved it for his inappropriate conduct.

To be honest, I am a bit ashamed of myself for not speaking up for that lady's bag. I really should have called him out on his rough handling immediately upon the first sign of rough treatment when I had a chance.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP

Or, just carry it back to entry door and ask to have it gate-checked?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:58 am

Shouldn’t the standard protocol be: “Sorry Sir, this is the CE cabin, so I have to assume that one of our CE passengers left it behind. If you are able to prove that it is yours, please wait until everybody has disembarked and we will assess that.”
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue

I would have been tempted to just plonk it down in the aisle again and leave it there. However, I witness amazingly little of this sort of thing on my AF, KL, UX, AZ, LH, LX and OS flights within Europe (where I am based). Is it a British thing?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just been to Bicester Village (without the VIP experience ��). Gentleman approaches desk demanding discount voucher as he is “a British Airways gold card holder”. Very good assistant explains to him that he needed to pre-register (as explained in the e-mail) and refuses him. Priceless!
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Platinum
A slightly different form of DYKWIA, but i think it qualifies never the less. Yesterday (Saturday) I was checking into the First wing at T5 - was much busier than usual due the start of half term (plus the site of so many kids gave that one away). Anyway after what felt like an eternity (ie 5 minutes) I proceeded to the security area and saw a queue stretching to the entry gates. Turns out in addition to the holidays, one of the x ray machines was down, so we all had to queue for one machine.

I could hear lots of people muttering about how unusual this was and there was a family of 4 just behind me - father busy micro managing his 2 kids (a boy and a girl between 6 and 8 I’m guessing) whilst the ‘posh’ mother was looking annoyed at the queue. An old gentlemen behind her, in high spirits, casually asked the mother was it half term because he’s never seen it so busy.

“Yes, it’s half term this week, but my 2 get 2 weeks off” she said, pointing out at the 2 kids in front her. The old guy was asked where he was flying to and responded “Mexico City” and some other destinations in Mexico (I think). The mother replied they were all off to New York for a week long break, but that her two kids actually had 2 weeks off, not one (at that point I knew exactly what she was trying to convey, and loudly).

There was some polite but brief chatter about where each had visited around the world, the old guy was clearly well travelled from his long, long list of destinations, and you could see the mother didn’t have much to counter back with, except she kept raising the point about “these two get 2 weeks holiday” and pointing at her kids despite the old guy not picking up on it in conversation and only talking about travel destinations.

Eventually after what must have been 5 or 6 mentions of 2 weeks half term, not one, she eventually said something like “well that’s the thing about private educational organizations, the holidays are longer...” loud enough for others to hear and roll their eyes at.

So I thought if this was such an important thing to convey despite not being asked about it, perhaps others on FlyerTalk should be made aware that it’s now half term, but her kids have 2 weeks off, NOT 1 because they are in private education.

Or, another way of putting in case that wasn’t clear, is that her two kids are in PRIVATE EDUCATION and so get 2 weeks half term holidays, not one.

PS I have created an infographic to illustrate this even more clearly - please PM if you are interested.
Cris L, DYKWIA, NoY and 15 others like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; Surrey CCC
Originally Posted by avon75
A slightly different form of DYKWIA, but i think it qualifies never the less. Yesterday (Saturday) I was checking into the First wing at T5 - was much busier than usual due the start of half term (plus the site of so many kids gave that one away). Anyway after what felt like an eternity (ie 5 minutes) I proceeded to the security area and saw a queue stretching to the entry gates. Turns out in addition to the holidays, one of the x ray machines was down, so we all had to queue for one machine.

I could hear lots of people muttering about how unusual this was and there was a family of 4 just behind me - father busy micro managing his 2 kids (a boy and a girl between 6 and 8 I’m guessing) whilst the ‘posh’ mother was looking annoyed at the queue. An old gentlemen behind her, in high spirits, casually asked the mother was it half term because he’s never seen it so busy.

“Yes, it’s half term this week, but my 2 get 2 weeks off” she said, pointing out at the 2 kids in front her. The old guy was asked where he was flying to and responded “Mexico City” and some other destinations in Mexico (I think). The mother replied they were all off to New York for a week long break, but that her two kids actually had 2 weeks off, not one (at that point I knew exactly what she was trying to convey, and loudly).

There was some polite but brief chatter about where each had visited around the world, the old guy was clearly well travelled from his long, long list of destinations, and you could see the mother didn’t have much to counter back with, except she kept raising the point about “these two get 2 weeks holiday” and pointing at her kids despite the old guy not picking up on it in conversation and only talking about travel destinations.

Eventually after what must have been 5 or 6 mentions of 2 weeks half term, not one, she eventually said something like “well that’s the thing about private educational organizations, the holidays are longer...” loud enough for others to hear and roll their eyes at.

So I thought if this was such an important thing to convey despite not being asked about it, perhaps others on FlyerTalk should be made aware that it’s now half term, but her kids have 2 weeks off, NOT 1 because they are in private education.

Or, another way of putting in case that wasn’t clear, is that her two kids are in PRIVATE EDUCATION and so get 2 weeks half term holidays, not one.

PS I have created an infographic to illustrate this even more clearly - please PM if you are interested.
Is it really 2 weeks off for Private? Some of the very top private schools in the country are on a 1-week cycle, I always thought that was the standard.. maybe this lady's children are in a special school.
wrp96 and TWCLAM like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
So... why is that they get two weeks off?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
In a lot of E/NE Scotland the schools get two weeks off at this time of year - traditionally to help with the "tattie picking" on the farms...
Bcla likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.