Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by xenole
If I'm queuing for whatever reason, why should someone else have the God given right just to waltz in front of me because they feel they're entitled / more entitled and that they don't need to queue or follow any protocol?
In my experience because there is a minority of travellers that have no self-awareness and believe that their importance is such that the world revolves around them. Many of whom are business types.

Fortunately these days more people are likely to challenge them and disabuse them of this.
WickedStepMother and Cotumely like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by simons1
In my experience because there is a minority of travellers that have no self-awareness and believe that their importance is such that the world revolves around them. Many of whom are business types.

Fortunately these days more people are likely to challenge them and disabuse them of this.
Not just travellers - I was choosing a sandwich in Morrisons yesterday, standing maybe 2ft from the fridge ? A woman waltzed up and stood directly in front of me to choose her own. Total lack of self-awareness

Though I did notice she had left her trolley unattended nearby with her purse sitting on top so I decided to let this one go and let karma catch up with her
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Though I did notice she had left her trolley unattended nearby with her purse sitting on top so I decided to let this one go and let karma catch up with her
Isn't the answer to this one usually to accidentally place a significant number of extra items in the trolley?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by LCY8737
What exactly is the point of getting upset about someone jumping the queue?
Proper Queuing is the biggest religion in Britain. I remember a older woman organising the queue at a bus stop in Oxford street. 15 bus lines stopped at that stop, but she didn't care which one you were waiting for, you had to stand in line.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
I stepped aside to let two people go past me in the aisle while my train was pulling into the station yesterday, as they seemed to be in more of a hurry than I was. Not a word or even a glance of acknowledgement or thanks. When the train stopped they just stood there listening to the bleep-bleep that signalled the door was now unlocked. I told them they needed to press the button to open the door and reached past them to do it as neither showed any sign of doing so. Again not a word or a glance. Afterwards I wished I had let the train move off without opening the door for them. I had all the time in the world to travel back from the next stop.
Reds2011 and wilsnunn like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by alex67500
[/left]Proper Queuing is the biggest religion in Britain. I remember a older woman organising the queue at a bus stop in Oxford street. 15 bus lines stopped at that stop, but she didn't care which one you were waiting for, you had to stand in line.
proper queueing is hard-wired to the older generation. I have no idea what went wrong with the DNA in recent years.
alex67500, sentosa and Wifie like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Assuming you make it on board with the first 80% of the plane you're practically guaranteed space for your carry on. If some people are desperate to spend more time in cramped conditions inside a metal/composite material tube - Why not simply let them?
I've never understood the mentality of queuing to get on a seat allocated flight. I wait until everyone else is on and then get up and board. That way I am never standing in line, waiting. I've seen GCH's standing in line in the group 1 queue for over 25mins. What on earth is the point?? You won't get to your destination any quicker and I would be amazed if a GCH would have their carry-on forced checked at the gate.
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Wink

Originally Posted by T8191
proper queueing is hard-wired to the older generation. I have no idea what went wrong with the DNA in recent years.
It'll all be fine once Brexit actually happens. All these non-queuers will be back in non-queuing-land and Brits will be able to go back to normal.
FrogTastic likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I'm no Brit and I'm not older generation (more middle), but if there is a queue everyone should respect it.

Still have to happen on BA or OW, but I had a DYKWIA moment encounter while waiting in line at the Business Desk Check-in for SN. There was a bit of a queue that was turning around a corner, and there was a SN ground agent policing it. A middle age man tried to move beside the line (aka skipping it) and was stopped and directed to the queue's end by the agent. My husband, that was closer, then heard this classic, half-outraged half-dumbfounded, reply: "Mais je suis Sénateur!"

It didn't work
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I've never understood the mentality of queuing to get on a seat allocated flight. I wait until everyone else is on and then get up and board. That way I am never standing in line, waiting. I've seen GCH's standing in line in the group 1 queue for over 25mins. What on earth is the point?? You won't get to your destination any quicker and I would be amazed if a GCH would have their carry-on forced checked at the gate.
I've done it. I'm gonna be sat for a couple hours so why sit already? Also I admit to feeling annoyed when other people just feel entitled to block the whole boarding process to have a leisurely chat with their SO about which items they should take out of their carry-on and what to put in the overhead or not. If I need to take stuff out, I'll take a seat, sort myself out, and put my bag back up at some point.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
... I would be amazed if a GCH would have their carry-on forced checked at the gate.
Is this a positive assertion that Golds are in truth never at risk of having to have their bags checked because there is no more space on board? If so, where have you seen this assurance or policy set out?

Or is this merely speculation on your part that other passengers' bags (which have already been stowed when those passengers boarded earlier) will be taken off the aircraft in order to make space for a Gold's bag instead?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by alex67500
It'll all be fine once Brexit actually happens. All these non-queuers will be back in non-queuing-land and Brits will be able to go back to normal.
I think a bit of population culling amongst the Brits may be needed too
Ancient Observer likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is this a positive assertion that Golds are in truth never at risk of having to have their bags checked because there is no more space on board? If so, where have you seen this assurance or policy set out?

Or is this merely speculation on your part that other passengers' bags (which have already been stowed when those passengers boarded earlier) will be taken off the aircraft in order to make space for a Gold's bag instead?
You seem to very often confuse personal opinion / speculation and declaration of fact/s.
I clearly stated "I would be amazed". Ergo, I am of the opinion that BA would do their best to avoid offloading GCH's bags.
It is clearly in no way a "positive assertion". So need to try and prove that I am "wrong".

So lets re-cap.

I *think that BA would avoid offloading GCH's carry-on bags.

To be clear.
  • I have no evidence of this being fact or true.
  • This is an assumption based on my own "best guess"
  • I will not be held responsible for someone searching through 10 years of FT posts to try to disprove my guess/assumption/opinion/thoughts.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
You seem to very often confuse personal opinion / speculation and declaration of fact/s.
I clearly stated "I would be amazed". Ergo, I am of the opinion that BA would do their best to avoid offloading GCH's bags.
It is clearly in no way a "positive assertion". So need to try and prove that I am "wrong".

So lets re-cap.

I *think that BA would avoid offloading GCH's carry-on bags.

To be clear.
  • I have no evidence of this being fact or true.
  • This is an assumption based on my own "best guess"
  • I will not be held responsible for someone searching through 10 years of FT posts to try to disprove my guess/assumption/opinion/thoughts.
Wouldn't this lead to another DYKWIA moment? "I know I was the last to board, and I know all the overhead space is full, BUT I'M GOLD GUEST LIST!!"
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:49 am

Often there is some trickery with the boarding times / screen announcements. They say boarding to get people to go to the gate. If you aren't familiar with this and follow instructions then it's very likely you'll find yourself at the gate early in most airports.

In most cases when I've been last to board, there is a long line in the jetbridge as people take their time to get on. I think it would be difficult to time it so that this didn't happen, but you didn't miss your flight. If you have any tips, do share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.