Search

DYKWIA | 2018 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:29 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by lameizi
Who is the DYKWIA in ur post?

My apologies, but I thought it was fairly obvious ... there were hundreds of us who queued patiently without complaining, and were grateful and thankful for the agent’s help, and one person who wasn’t ..
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
DYKWTDYKWIAI?

(Don’t you know who the Don’t You Know Who I Am is?)
Pascoe likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Who is the DYKWIA in ur post?
Seriously?????
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Reasons I like to board with Group 1 and not wait until the end:

- Less chance of having my bag taken off me on short haul.
- In a lot of hotter countries getting stuck behind 50-100 on a baking hot jet-bridge is vile.
- On long haul flights there's free booze to get started on.
- Because I can. So there.
Harry Harry and Cotumely like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I do believe you but I am amazed that Group 1 and 2 managed to fill all the overhead bins by themselves!
gosh, if in row 1 of club europe, its already filled by crew bags, not leaving much else space!

a constant annoyance--on any airline, not just BA--if you know your row 1s cant stow anything on the floor, why take away our space? DYWKIA????
LTN Phobia, Dover2Golf and Tocsin like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by VSLover
gosh, if in row 1 of club europe, its already filled by crew bags, not leaving much else space!

a constant annoyance--on any airline, not just BA--if you know your row 1s cant stow anything on the floor, why take away our space? DYWKIA????
I know that the crew would be really good when they DON'T put their bags in the overhead locker above Row 1, because they were obviously thoughtful and thought ahead.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer

My apologies, but I thought it was fairly obvious ... there were hundreds of us who queued patiently without complaining, and were grateful and thankful for the agent’s help, and one person who wasn’t ..
Yes, You!!!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Yes, You!!!
what are you on about? The OP queued up for 90 minutes like everybody else and a DYKWIA tried to jump what was, by then, a much longer queue. Was told by agent and others to queue like everybody else. It wasn’t you, was it?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:18 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
You seem to very often confuse personal opinion / speculation and declaration of fact/s.
I clearly stated "I would be amazed". Ergo, I am of the opinion that BA would do their best to avoid offloading GCH's bags.
It is clearly in no way a "positive assertion". So need to try and prove that I am "wrong".

So lets re-cap.

I *think that BA would avoid offloading GCH's carry-on bags.

To be clear.
  • I have no evidence of this being fact or true.
  • This is an assumption based on my own "best guess"
  • I will not be held responsible for someone searching through 10 years of FT posts to try to disprove my guess/assumption/opinion/thoughts.
You must have missed the long thread on here which bemoaned the targeting of premium travellers' bags. It has happened many times. Since my carry on usually has about 20k of photographic gear in it, I'd prefer not to test it.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I *think that BA would avoid offloading GCH's carry-on bags.
Unfortunately, they do not.

The only thing GCH can do to reduce their chance of having their cabin bag put in the hold (beyond not taking anything other than what fits under the seat in front) is to be at the gate early for priority boarding.

Unfortunately, some agents actually target the Group 1 and 2 queue for putting baggage in the hold, so even that may not be an effective measure against having your bag put in the hold, although it's much easier to resist than after you have boarded and find there is no space.

They do not put other passengers' bags in the hold instead of yours if you are a Gold Card Holder and turn up on board and find that there is no space for your bag.

I have to say speculative posts not backed up by facts or at least by frequent observations aren't very useful.
cjb666, rossmacd, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
You must have missed the long thread on here which bemoaned the targeting of premium travellers' bags. It has happened many times. Since my carry on usually has about 20k of photographic gear in it, I'd prefer not to test it.
I'm married to a photography professor. When he's flying with gear, he's proactive as heck about being able to claim proper bin space and plane tickets are booked with that in mind.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:47 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Yes, You!!!
Oh dear. Might I respectfully suggest a re-read? @:-)
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by xenole
JFK T7 is somewhere where you're better waiting. Last time I was in the CCR, they announced boarding, so we all got up and got to the gate where half the plane were already boarding and you were barely on the airbridge in a queue.
This. You become so conditioned that “Gate Closes” means “we may have opened the gate by then but probably not” you forget that it isn’t universal. We were the last on our flight, luckily we had bags otherwise I expect they’d have closed without us!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by labdoctor
Dear God, the ones in Spain have a mind of their own. Alicante has some decidedly clunky ones which operate at the speed of a sloth. They were probably made by the Spanish equivalent of Netto or Kwik Save. The E Gates in UK are blissful in comparison.
I think it's hugely passport dependant, as I don't seem to have an issue with LHR, LGW, MAD etc etc and I doubt it's because I am somehow really good at standing at e-gates ;-)
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Unfortunately, some agents actually target the Group 1 and 2 queue for putting baggage in the hold, so even that may not be an effective measure against having your bag put in the hold, although it's much easier to resist than after you have boarded and find there is no space.
Unfortunately some agents need to be let go! This is outrageous. Do they not know who we are?
Tobias-UK likes this.

Last edited by alex67500; Oct 5, 2018 at 3:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.