Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by zen100
It feels as if the system allocates the F seats to those that haven't selected a J seat, rather than move those who have previously selected a seat.
That’s not how it works actually. The system allocated the flub seats that need to be allocated based on all pax in J, not just those without a seat assigned.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (GGL, GFL)
My experience this morning on the way to Nassau accords with the above. I had 5A (Club Suite) on my boarding pass when I left home at 6.00. By the time I checked in at 6.35 at T5 I’d been moved to 1A in Flub. Flight departs 08.55. This is a later flubbing than I have experienced before so I wonder whether there have been some last minute bookings that pushed Club over the edge? Definitely not an aircraft swap as since I booked the flight (over 6 months ago) the seat map has shown the First cabin but with all seats showing as already taken.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
4 class, sold as 3 class - possible that F might open up?

Hi All

Flying later in the year from YYZ - LHR (BA92) and it seems this is a 781, which I believe all have F cabins. F doesn't seem to be open on this flight for some reason, but wondered if it's possible it might open at some point? Or does this route always get sold as 3-class (perhaps due to a high chance of aircraft changes?)
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
F is not sold and will be used for CW customers if the CW cabin is 100% full, have a look at this.
Magic01273 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
F is not sold and will be used for CW customers if the CW cabin is 100% full, have a look at this.
Thank you CIHY. I was vaguely aware of the FLUB thing (but I won't hold my breath). Was curious as to whether they do ever suddenly put F seats on sale, but appears not. I'm sure the club suites will be great - assuming it sticks as a 781.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 1:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Magic01273
Was curious as to whether they do ever suddenly put F seats on sale, but appears not.
No they don't do this, not ever. Either the route is marketed with First from way back, or there is no First. Flub may or may not happen, and given the interchange between the three different 787 rigs you can see BA wouldn't want to be tied down to particular aircraft and its cabin structures. So the one thing that never happens is BA deciding "oh look, we have rostered an aircraft with First next week/month, let's sell those seats". It's probably better value to the airline to be able offer more CW and roll forwards WTPs as needed.
Magic01273 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:20 am

Programs: BA Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aoyamaguy
My experience this morning on the way to Nassau accords with the above. I had 5A (Club Suite) on my boarding pass when I left home at 6.00. By the time I checked in at 6.35 at T5 I’d been moved to 1A in Flub. Flight departs 08.55. This is a later flubbing than I have experienced before so I wonder whether there have been some last minute bookings that pushed Club over the edge? Definitely not an aircraft swap as since I booked the flight (over 6 months ago) the seat map has shown the First cabin but with all seats showing as already taken.
Similar experience on BA219 to DEN yesterday. Mrs G and I (both BA Gold) were still in J at check in, 2.5 hours out. Bit disappointed as I’d checked availability and CW and PE were full, and two F seats appeared to have been unblocked. Sitting in lounge an hour later and we were moved to F (all 8 seats in which then were filled).
Old Mar 1, 2023, 3:05 am

Likely roll forwards from WT and WT+ put the load in CW "over the edge" for F to be used, this could happen quite late depending on what's happening and why
Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:28 am

I’ve just landed at LHR and was in 13a J, I had done online check in and 2 hrs before security was still in 13a, whilst waiting to board I checked my pass and was pleasantly suprised it had changed to 1a F seat.
how does BA determine which pax they move forward into an 8 seat F cabin
Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by mwp1
I’ve just landed at LHR and was in 13a J, I had done online check in and 2 hrs before security was still in 13a, whilst waiting to board I checked my pass and was pleasantly suprised it had changed to 1a F seat.
how does BA determine which pax they move forward into an 8 seat F cabin
Normally Gold and GGL are pretty likely to be selected, but sometimes others get lucky too. I would say single travellers are more likely to get upgraded but everytime it's happened to us we've both been upgraded to middle seats in F.
mwp1 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
Normally Gold and GGL are pretty likely to be selected, but sometimes others get lucky too. I would say single travellers are more likely to get upgraded but everytime it's happened to us we've both been upgraded to middle seats in F.
i dropped down to bronze on the 28th of last month after having silver for 6 years.

so it was a nice suprise
firstlight likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by mwp1
i dropped down to bronze on the 28th of last month after having silver for 6 years.

so it was a nice suprise
Indeed, BA's algorithms probably spotted you had dropped down a level and decided to do something nice to encourage you to fly more. This part of BA's IT system (customer loyalty module) seems to work very well...
mwp1 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
We are on BA6 Tokyo to LHR on Sun 26 Mar which is a 789 travelling on a route with no first. Club is sold out. What is the likelihood of Flub ? Or will it be crew rest ?

As I am on a 241 voucher i am nervous of being downgraded…..

Thanks in advance for any pointers …
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
We are on BA6 Tokyo to LHR on Sun 26 Mar which is a 789 travelling on a route with no first. Club is sold out. What is the likelihood of Flub ? Or will it be crew rest ?

I flew this route on a 241 a few weeks ago. Club was sold out too. Kept checking to see if I could select a seat in first but they never became available. On boarding first was full. A couple in club complained to the crew that they were gold and should have been upgraded. The crew said the passengers that were upgraded had better status.
RichieMc likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace

Downgrades (with compensation) happened on my recent return from Tokyo (787-8) with the ground staff politely sticking to the “for operational reasons” line. It seems the 787 might be struggling on the Haneda route with pent up demand for Japan in premium cabins but it seems that BA will finally be back two flights on certain days from Sunday 26th March. Although following my last 3 flights to/from HND, I have decided I would never fly BA to Japan again but that’s another story!

Last edited by Door5L; Mar 21, 2023 at 6:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.