Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2022, 9:15 pm

Hmm - a last minute change from a 788 to a 789 for my flight to Japan tomorrow - Expertflyer shows the First cabin populated, but my seats are still 1J and 1K according to MMB. I can't change them either, as there's no seat map... although it does say 1J and 1K are now both middle seats. 1J, of course, no longer exists!

As a lowly blue travelling with a silver, I'm not expecting much, other than being punted into worse seats in CW, albeit I'll be a bit miffed if so. (I paid for 1J and 1K as 1J has nobody stepping over, plus they should be quiet seats being at the end of the cabin).

No automated email from BA either, although as technically the seats haven't changed I guess that it wouldn't trigger one.

I'll post an update to what actually transpires after the event... I'll try checking in online once it opens in a few hours.

EDIT: And having checked in, I've been moved to 10J/K, right next to the loos. At least 10J is unimpeded, but the equivalent seats in the small cabin are unavailable.

FWIW, it looks like it'll be a full house onboard... J2 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 according to ExpertFlyer.

Last edited by Retron; Dec 13, 2022 at 2:00 am
Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Looks like FLUB on my MAA-LHR flight on the 4th Feb, EF showing J0 and the F cabin blocked out. Hopefully they will open it nearer the time rather than downgrade people, just a bit worried because we are booked using a 241.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
They would never downgrade customers if there are seats available in the First cabin.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Who gets the F seats on a 4 class 777 sold as 3 class

Dear All,

On a recent trip from LHR-BOM on a 777-300ER (old config), the flight was sold as 3 class only. There is no First being sold. However, the plane does have 14 F seats. On Expert Flyer, they show as blocked. On BA.com there was no way to select them. When boarding started, 14 lucky people actually got a chance to sit in those F seats (I am assuming with J service). How did those 14 people get upgraded. I am an AA EXPLAT (OW Emerald). Was curious to see if this perk is only offered to BA elite.

Thanks!!

Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Check “flub” threads. By default, no one ie unless the j cabin is oversold. In that case it works largely along the same lines as opups (so if anyone selects one of those seats and is not selected by the systm, they get booted out).

if the regular j cabin suffices, the f cabin remains empty.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Check “flub” threads. By default, no one ie unless the j cabin is oversold. In that case it works largely along the same lines as opups (so if anyone selects one of those seats and is not selected by the systm, they get booted out).

if the regular j cabin suffices, the f cabin remains empty.
Thanks for your reply! That is what surprised me. J was not oversold. Till six hours before boarding (the last time I was able to check), there were dozen available seats on BA.com. When we finally took off, there were more than 2 dozen empty seats, since many people moved to "Flub", as you call it (I like it!)

So curious!
Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No customers should have been moved into the First cabin, all CW seat have to remain occupied and only the overflow seated in First if required.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
No customers should have been moved into the First cabin, all CW seat have to remain occupied and only the overflow seated in First if required.
Hence my thread! On the one hand, it was great not having anyone next to me (all of Row 16 had 3 pax, 2 of us in 16a and k and one guy with all the middle four). Here is the flight number and date, in case someone can find why we had so many empty seats in Club and people got moved to Flub. BA 139, LHR-BOM, Jan 14. 23.

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
A lot of things can change in the last few hours, you could have a dozen no shows easily on some routes, and it may only be the case at T-1.5h or less. At that point some op ups will normally have taken place (including J to FLUB). I have often seen flights going out this way.

As far as I understand it, the J to FLUB moves are done manually once under airport control. I don’t know how it would work if the flight is so oversold in J and the FLUB seats are unblocked prior to check-in.

I once watched on Expertflyer as these moves were being made. The order of events was such that I could move to FLUB if I was stood at a lounge CS desk and asked them to grab an F seat for me. Has worked both times that I tried that tactic, but being in the right place at the right time while having access to EF is key.

As GGL I have had FLUB twice over and above the two instances where I tried to move myself to FLUB with some help.
panjabi and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Foofighter69
A lot of things can change in the last few hours, you could have a dozen no shows easily on some routes, and it may only be the case at T-1.5h or less. At that point some op ups will normally have taken place (including J to FLUB). I have often seen flights going out this way.

As far as I understand it, the J to FLUB moves are done manually once under airport control. I don’t know how it would work if the flight is so oversold in J and the FLUB seats are unblocked prior to check-in.

I once watched on Expertflyer as these moves were being made. The order of events was such that I could move to FLUB if I was stood at a lounge CS desk and asked them to grab an F seat for me. Has worked both times that I tried that tactic, but being in the right place at the right time while having access to EF is key.

As GGL I have had FLUB twice over and above the two instances where I tried to move myself to FLUB with some help.
Thank you! Quick question.. what would the priority of Flub upgrades be? BA Gold uber alles? As I mentioned upthread, I am a OW Emerald (AA EXPLAT). Curious how the algorithm works...

Thanks so much again!
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Nobody really knows how the algorithm works.

I was once out in FLUB as a GGL in a full 8F cabin. Based on the feedback from the crew I learnt that all the other 7 were Blue BA or with no association to a FF programme.

Similarly I have been in PE as BA Gold and seen colleagues who were BA Silver and AA Plat upgraded to J.

This is and will remain a closely-guarded secret, as as much as many FTers on here (myself included) try and reverse-engineer the algorithm (or the process if done manually) there isn’t a clear pattern.

I think the best chance you’ll have on BA to enjoy your flight and not think about upgrades is to book the cabin you want to fly in, and enjoy it for what it is.

Anything after that is a bonus, though you can use some tools and vouchers as a BA Gold / GGL to move yourself up for very little or no money should the right revenue and inventory conditions present themselves, especially from J to F. This approach does not and will never apply to FLUB.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:43 am

Purely anecdotal, but it feels that having status gives you no extra chance of getting FLUB-ed.

In fact, it could be the opposite. It feels as if the system allocates the F seats to those that haven't selected a J seat, rather than move those who have previously selected a seat.

Given those without status have to pay to reserve a J seat, they are less likely to do so.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by zen100
Purely anecdotal, but it feels that having status gives you no extra chance of getting FLUB-ed.

In fact, it could be the opposite. It feels as if the system allocates the F seats to those that haven't selected a J seat, rather than move those who have previously selected a seat.

Given those without status have to pay to reserve a J seat, they are less likely to do so.
On a recent TLV LHR, FLUB happening, I asked at the gate. The lead person said there's no human intervention and it's done purely by CIV score. But experiences here seem to differ!
Old Jan 15, 2023, 12:07 pm

I've been FLUB'd several times as a Gold with no intervention on my part and with an assigned seat, so in my case it seems like status may have played a role.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by makin'miles
I've been FLUB'd several times as a Gold with no intervention on my part and with an assigned seat, so in my case it seems like status may have played a role.
Same experience for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.