Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
For the uninitiated (me), how is the CIV score calculated, please?
Old May 5, 2023, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
By status / CIV score.
It would be interesting if you could expand on that statement.

Doc Copper
Old May 5, 2023, 1:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Full Score
For the uninitiated (me), how is the CIV score calculated, please?
See here re commercial individual value, CIV. There's been loads of threads over the years as a quick Google search will reveal. Here's an example.

Your CIV can vary a fair bit if buying expensive tickets as a main example.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29600873-post8.html
Genius1 and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 17, 2023, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA
Dropped the bags in for my GCM > LHR via NAS flight tonight. Selected 5K in advance only to be told at the desk that I "now have two different seats". Of course I understand that sometimes they need to move you so I asked why two different seats (and not just move me to another seat for the whole flight). The agent said I'd been moved to 5A for the GCM > NAS leg and then upgraded to 2K in the First cabin for the NAS > LHR leg.

Obviously I am pleased with this but it leaves me a bit confused. As far as I am aware, BA don't run First service on NAS > LHR, so this just sounds like a FLUB. If that is so, then why not just give me 2K on the GCM > NAS sector as well? Can anyone shine light on this

Anyway, certainly not complaining, just thought it was interesting operationally. Unfortunately we are delayed an hour so far so going to have to wait a while to find out.
Old May 19, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
787-900 but no F cabin?

I'm flying down to EZE in a few weeks in Club World. I see that BA alternates between a 787-800 and a 787-900 on the route depending on the day. Obviously, the latter has an F cabin but the other one doesn't.

On the day I fly, it will be a 787-900, as confirmed by the seat map in MMB that starts at row 6. But doing a quick check it seems that BA doesn't sell any seats in its F cabin on this route (unless I'm missing something).

Is that right? Will the F cabin just stay empty? Why not at least try to sell the seats?
Old May 19, 2023, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Guzzler
I'm flying down to EZE in a few weeks in Club World. I see that BA alternates between a 787-800 and a 787-900 on the route depending on the day. Obviously, the latter has an F cabin but the other one doesn't.

On the day I fly, it will be a 787-900, as confirmed by the seat map in MMB that starts at row 6. But doing a quick check it seems that BA doesn't sell any seats in its F cabin on this route (unless I'm missing something).

Is that right? Will the F cabin just stay empty? Why not at least try to sell the seats?

Hi,

It will probably be used as Flub ( first sold as club) if needed. Ie first class seat but club world service
it will only be used if club world is oversold.
lots of details in the FLUB thread

Regards

Tbs
Guzzler, KARFA and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 19, 2023, 9:01 am

Hi. I took this flight LHR-EZE at the end of April. Was a Friday night and a 787-9. They moved some of us from CW to the F seats. FLUB-ed as others have noted on other threads.

Great to have the extra space in the F seat for sleeping. Food was Club World. Crew didn’t use the front galley so was very peaceful in the cabin.

Return on Saturday EZE-LHR was 787-8. So only CW and no F seating on that aircraft.
Guzzler and trolleymusic like this.
Old May 19, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Excellent, thanks. Did they move you on the plane, or at check-in/boarding? Wondering whether it's worth being cheeky and asking when I check in - you don't get if you don't ask.

How was the meal service? It's a very late flight, so debating whether to eat in lounge and then go straight to bed, or maybe stay up and eat on the plane.
Old May 19, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Guzzler
Wondering whether it's worth being cheeky and asking when I check in - you don't get if you don't ask.
I don’t think there’s any evidence that asking helps. If you’re going to be chosen and flubbed, they’ll find you. There are no published criteria, but it seems to be based on status, group size, etc. You may see it is possible to select an F seat a day or two before the flight. General advice is to restrain yourself. Many stories of people picking an F seat only to get booted back to Club in a worse middle seat was down the back vs the original carefully chosen window seat.

Have a look at the main FLUB thread.
Old May 19, 2023, 11:57 am

We got moved at boarding time at the gate - when boarding passes issued at checkin were scanned. They told us we had a seat change and then gave us 1D and 1E and explained we would be still getting Club service.

No idea if asking at checkin would work but do check the FLUB threads.

In terms of meal service. You’re right it’s a late flight so we had the same question. I asked this in a separate thread before we left - not sure how to link to it.

We ended up doing a bit of both. The flight was late boarding. We ate a little in the lounge but it actually closes at 10pm and then staff walk around telling you that! They serve a full meal service and then breakfast before arriving in Buenos Aires. We ended up having the starter and dessert and skipped the main due to the time. Meant to take a photo of the meal and menu but forgot!

Am v. jealous. Argentina is a beautiful country with great food and wine - enjoy!
Old May 26, 2023, 7:28 am

It looks like my flight today is a 787-9 operating 3 classes but so far no FLUB. Assuming the F cabinis not in fact opened up for seating can CW go forward to use the 1L toilet?
Old May 26, 2023, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Where are you flying to, and if First is closed out probably not?
Old May 26, 2023, 11:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Where are you flying to, and if First is closed out probably not?
From an earlier post on another thread the OP said to YUL if that makes any difference?
Old May 26, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by danmushman
Isn't the problem here that BA make the FLUB seats selectable on the seat map, even if J isn't sold out? This may only be for a few hours or so as I noted. (Knew not to select them based on this thread). Why don't they just lock them all until check in, and FLUB as they wish per (which is what they do in practice anyway).
Yes, and BA should address this, while FTers may know not to select them, there have almost certainly been cases of those not in the know (especially those who've never flown J before) logging in to OLCI, seeing a nice window seat at the front of the plane and selecting it, only to then be moved to an aisle (or worse, the middle seats of the old CW) in the J cabin, when there may well have been windows available when they checked in, but have since been selected. Sure, seats are never guaranteed and all, but that's just BA's get out clause, it's still poor customer service to allow someone to choose a seat and then move them to a different one, and would leave a sour taste to anyone moved like that when they have no idea why or what they did wrong.
Old May 26, 2023, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by PETER01
From an earlier post on another thread the OP said to YUL if that makes any difference?
Looking at this flight there should be one and one only in the First cabin.
PETER01 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.