Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2023, 6:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Popinjay
Still unsure as to whether OP moved themselves to the first cabin or BA moved them. I wasn’t sure how to interpret the reply.
I thought they were moved. But yes the reason I asked was because sometimes the F seats can show as available and you are advised not to move yourself there, if BA want to open F seats they will choose who to move up so by doing it yourself you do run a considerable risk of being moved back.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by flarmip
That doesn't mean I won't complain when they do something wrong, and particularly so if they have slighted me.
​​​​​​
If I complained in life every time I was, or perceived that I was, slighted.......
Old Apr 19, 2023, 6:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
Interestingly I am on a 789 run without F next week and currently in J. The flight looks pretty full in J so there is definitely a chance of FLUB. I agree with the OP that I would be a little annoyed if I get FLUB'ed and then get moved back to a different less desirable seat. Would I complain? No as it isn't really a failure as such.

Now if it come to taking revenge against BA I am sure I have many instances of poor service over the years I could invoke as (self) justification, but then BA are hardly going to join the dots so it would all be a bit pointless - albeit the issue the OP cites is more BA doing something within policy but not what the OP wanted, rather than an actual service failure anyway.
I'm not expecting them to join the dots as this isn't personal; it's financial. That's all companies care about, and my relationship with BA is a purely commercial one at the end of the day. I feel they owe me money, but it's easier to receive it by complaining about something else they've done wrong, that I might just accept as 'one of those things' otherwise. No different to how a customer in any other industry might led something slide if their supplier has gone above and beyond (as would have been the case if I'd been able to keep my assignment), but will otherwise calculate things down to the last penny.

I thought they were moved. But yes the reason I asked was because sometimes the F seats can show as available and you are advised not to move yourself there, if BA want to open F seats they will choose who to move up so by doing it yourself you do run a considerable risk of being moved back.
I was able to select it just after booking (at T-48ish). I was aware of the risk in practical terms, but that still doesn't mean I'm not disappointed that it's happened, and particularly so at such short notice that there is just one (even worse) other seat free in J.

If I complained in life every time I was, or perceived that I was, slighted.......
I know what you mean. I realise there would be no point complaining about a seat change to FR/U2 etc. But BA will probably chuck some Avios at me and then we will be even.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 6:31 am

I was able to select it just after booking (at T-48ish). I was aware of the risk in practical terms, but that still doesn't mean I'm not disappointed that it's happened, and particularly so at such short notice that there is just one (even worse) other seat free in J.
Well if you moved yourself I am afraid I have even less sympathy. That was not a sensible thing to do and you ended up with exactly the consequences I would expect. Bear in mind F seats may still be used on your flight, but BA will choose who to put forward. So when they came to edit the seat map they will have moved you back if you were not one of the chosen, and of course someone else had taken your desirable seat at that point.

If this is a service failure it appears to be one of your own making where you took a gamble and knew the risk.

As for it not being personal, you are hiding it well
flygirl68 and aks120 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Ok, so BA253 on Friday has opened up FLUB rows 1 + 2 in MMB. We have had our preferred CS seats for a while. I was going to ask on this thread whether to select them or not.
Reading the last few pages - it looks like the answer is NO. So the best bet is to do OCLI when opens tomorrow, don't download BP and just don't touch the current seat selection?
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by danmushman
Ok, so BA253 on Friday has opened up FLUB rows 1 + 2 in MMB. We have had our preferred CS seats for a while. I was going to ask on this thread whether to select them or not.
Reading the last few pages - it looks like the answer is NO. So the best bet is to do OCLI when opens tomorrow, don't download BP and just don't touch the current seat selection?
exactly. Stay where you are. Worse case you don’t get Flub’ed but you keep your preferred CS seats. Olci but don’t download your bp. Keep your fingers crossed tho
danmushman likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by danmushman
Quick update - first has all been blocked off, didn't last long!
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Having my seat allocation moved after I'd already checked in and the best alternative seats were gone. I appreciate there's no right to a Flub but if I book a window seat, I do expect to travel in a window seat for instance.
I have given advice about this upthread, along the lines of allowing yourself to be Flubbed rather than choosing a Flub seat, for precisely the reasons you are now facing. The back-and-fro on Flub is such it's not worth the gamble if you are attached to a particular sort of seat, particularly if you do this well before the flight is closed.
PETER01 and KARFA like this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 12:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I got automatically moved to FLUB yesterday on BA5 to HND. My BP got rejected at the gate scanner so I went to the agent who exchanged it for one with a seat further forward.
PETER01, flygirl68, YacozA and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 1:17 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

And if I "should have stuck with a seat in my assigned cabin" then why did BA open up the seats and let me OLCI with them? Of course, no seat is ever guaranteed but there is no operational reason for this change. Just a pecuniary one.
You knew very well that you'd likely be moved out of FLUB. It's mentioned many times on this very thread, as are the reasons for doing it.
flygirl68 and TTmex like this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 10:59 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum
Sitting in F when they aren't selling it

Hi all,
I'm flying on BA168 next month from PVG to LHR. The aircraft is a 789 and I'm booked in J. I see on ExpertFlyer that the first two rows of Business appear to be First seats (1-2-1), showing as blocked, as it appears they are not selling First on this route. In summer of 2021, I had a similar situation on CX from HKG-JFK. I called 48hr before the flight, asked to sit in one of the unsold First seats, and it worked. Does trying something similar on BA have any shot at working? It's the old CW seat, so an F seat, even without any improvement in service, would make a substantial difference.
Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 22, 2023, 11:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Have a read through this topic, you’ll find all your answers here:‘FLUB’ class: travel in First (F) cabin but with Club (J) service on 4-class aircraftbut basically these seats cannot normally be selected in advance and are usually assigned by BA according to status shortly before checkin opens.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
It's also worth noting that they will only open the F cabin if J is full. Otherwise the cabin stays closed, much to the annoyance of my seat mate on a YYZ-LHR flight a few months back.
wk989 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Today I treated myself to a Flub World Europe experience!

Shorthaul work trip from LHR just happened to be a 777! I upgraded myself using avios (£8.50! and 5k avios) and put myself in 10A.
T-48 I noticed F opened up..trying my luck, I put myself in 1A although I read here that it's very much likely to be closed again and I'd be back in Club - not a big deal at all as a) it was what I was paying for and b) it's better than any small plane!

Checked in at LHR and paper ticket still said 1A...still wasn't sure it'll stick until I boarded...and it did!
Clearly lots of plane geeks - er - enthusiasts : Group 1 had those taking photos of the other B-gated aircrafts & meticulously following FR24, tracking any delays (there was, in fact, a 40 min delay before we were airborne).

There was even a DYKWIA moment on board when Pax X was not happy about being in Club World, he wanted to be in Flub! Unfazed, the CSM let X move.

Anyway... 1A was delightful, even for the 80 minute flight, good crew & a nice meal. Deplaning happened from 1L too which was a nice touch. I’ll have to start planning more of my work trips based on aircraft…😅

Old May 5, 2023, 2:07 am

My GF an I were 'FLUB'd' on BA252 on Wednesday. Seats had been moved to row 2 at OLCI time and thankfully they moved. (As expected, on the way out on BA253, First cabin wasn't used despite the seat map appearing to open up for a few hours before flight).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.