Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
My reference to time is the time needed to consume the food and beverage offering. Food is to be enjoyed, not thrown down your throat at risk of it being taken away!
But that is exactly the point I was making: not just that it is served on QF but that it does not feel like a rushed meal from the point of view of the passenger, is enjoyable and there is well enough time to eat it leisurely. And according to everyone in my family I am a very slow eater!!
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:01 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Shortage of time is a poor excuse for poor or no service.

I can recall a BD service when it was Diamond Service LHR-MME that was 26 minutes in duration from take off to landing. There was dinner - three courses on a tray, drinks and hot towels. The hot towels were distributed while the seat belt signs were on but it was all achieved.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Looking at seat maps for QF short haul it appears there are only three rows of ‘proper’ J, as opposed to the magical moving curtain on BA. I’m guessing the service offered needs to be able to be consistently delivered at maximum occupancy.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
Looking at seat maps for QF short haul it appears there are only three rows of ‘proper’ J, as opposed to the magical moving curtain on BA. I’m guessing the service offered needs to be able to be consistently delivered at maximum occupancy.
Exactly, the comparison is misplaced, two very different products. BA prices start at £220 on the route whereas QF prices start at £750 for their route.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

Exactly, the comparison is misplaced, two very different products. BA prices start at £220 on the route whereas QF prices start at £750 for their route.
if you look at my earlier post again (no2307) you’ll find that I specifically mentioned that the usual disclaimers about different pricing, markets etc applied and also that I don’t personally find the offering inadequate on such a short route.

Again I was simply reacting to one very specific point you made which was that there was not enough time to enjoy a full breakfast with which I disagree.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:26 am

There isn't enough time.

By all means pay your additional £500+ for your eggs benedict, hopefully you'll get it down your throat before they are taking the tray away from you. Apples and oranges again here. We are discussing a CE service with less than 22 minutes service time (often significantly) less, in a cabin that is often more than 10 rows deep - unless you are sat in the first few rows there is simply not enough time to consume anything more than what is currently offered. Yes, BA could charge £750 for these flights and limit the cabin to 12 passengers and get everyone served within a few minutes of takeoff but that is not the BA proposition, that is not feasible at the price point. Comparing it with a very different, much more expensive Qantas product is a flawed comparison. There is simply not enough time for a busy CE cabin to be served, and for all the passengers to consume, a full breakfast.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:35 am

Ba2759 ams-lgw

Tasted OK. Definitely thinking I prefer the amounts at Gatwick. Other choice was a Croque Monsieur (or cheese toastie as the crew member called it)
Old May 17, 2018, 5:58 am

There isn't enough time.

By all means pay your additional £500+ for your eggs benedict, hopefully you'll get it down your throat before they are taking the tray away from you. Apples and oranges again here. We are discussing a CE service with less than 22 minutes service time (often significantly) less, in a cabin that is often more than 10 rows deep - unless you are sat in the first few rows there is simply not enough time to consume anything more than what is currently offered. Yes, BA could charge £750 for these flights and limit the cabin to 12 passengers and get everyone served within a few minutes of takeoff but that is not the BA proposition, that is not feasible at the price point. Comparing it with a very different, much more expensive Qantas product is a flawed comparison. There is simply not enough time for a busy CE cabin to be served, and for all the passengers to consume, a full breakfast.
ah so your argument is that there isn’t enough time to enjoy a full breakfast as long as ba keep the ba way of doing things? A bit of a circular argument IMHO, a bit like saying a year that it’s impossible to make club world food enjoyable justifying that by their existing self imposed constraints at the time. As we now know and agree, it was possible to make cw food enjoyable by reorganising both service and costs and ba have.

IMHO, the £500 is a red herring. It is a difference between the two services, but it is not a cause of impossibility. The majority of C pax on both LHR-MAN and SYD-CBR are connecting by the way so the price people (not me) are willing to pay on a o/d flight for the pleasure of flying C is irrelevant to them (us). The size of the cabin is another red herring in my view: QF also does it on SYD-MEL which is barely longer with 767s and BA used to do it for the entire 767 cabin on LHR-EDI with full three course meals in all Y config.

Now it’s perfectly fine for you to feel you wouldn’t enjoy a different meal on that route, but it doesn’t mean the rest of us would not.

lhrpete and hugolover like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic

ah so your argument is that there isn’t enough time to enjoy a full breakfast as long as ba keep the ba way of doing things? A bit of a circular argument IMHO, a bit like saying a year that it’s impossible to make club world food enjoyable justifying that by their existing self imposed constraints at the time. As we now know and agree, it was possible to make cw food enjoyable by reorganising both service and costs and ba have.

IMHO, the £500 is a red herring. It is a difference between the two services, but it is not a cause of impossibility. The majority of C pax on both LHR-MAN and SYD-CBR are connecting by the way so the price people (not me) are willing to pay on a o/d flight for the pleasure of flying C is irrelevant to them (us). The size of the cabin is another red herring in my view: QF also does it on SYD-MEL which is barely longer with 767s and BA used to do it for the entire 767 cabin on LHR-EDI with full three course meals in all Y config.

Now it’s perfectly fine for you to feel you wouldn’t enjoy a different meal on that route, but it doesn’t mean the rest of us would not.

We are going round in circles and way off topic.
orbitmic and EDIwanderer like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:40 am

We are going round in circles and way off topic.
Fair point! ^ Sorry everyone for the OT.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Have I missed an announcement that MAD is now in the long band? Just arrived on BA460 and it was a full hot meal (and a 777)!
Old May 17, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Have I missed an announcement that MAD is now in the long band? Just arrived on BA460 and it was a full hot meal (and a 777)!
wow! Good news if it’s not a one off! Now if other medium routes could follow suit...
Old May 17, 2018, 9:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Ah good. Yes there was a post somewhere repeating what sounded like galley FM that MAD was going to join the Long band (and it made me wonder where else would be adjusted), but certainly there was previous speculations specific to this route. Good to see it happening.

EDIT: It would be good to get reports on these routes, outside Breakfast times:
LHR-VIE
LGW-OPO
LHR-BLQ (shorter than MAD)
LHR-PMI

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 17, 2018 at 9:56 am
Old May 17, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Ah good. Yes there was a post somewhere repeating what sounded like galley FM that MAD was going to join the Long band (and it made me wonder where else would be adjusted), but certainly there was previous speculations specific to this route. Good to see it happening.

EDIT: It would be good to get reports on these routes, outside Breakfast times:
LHR-VIE
LGW-OPO
LHR-BLQ (shorter than MAD)
LHR-PMI
This is excellent news! Fingers crossed for Barcelona too.
I'm doing PMI (afternoon tea time) and Barcelona over the next week and a bit so will report back unless somebody else beats me to it.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:32 pm

What's going on with BA club europe food? I've travelled from BLQ-LHR today during lunch time... and all they had to offer was a tomato panini, or a tomato and mozzarella salad (vegetarian for everyone)... with a tiny slice of chocolate cake
I remember they used to serve better lunches 6-12 months ago, like proper hot food (I remember a belly of pork once on the 12.30 pm flight)

Is this happening also on other flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.