Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Club Europe Catering Guide 2017.

This thread outlines the new arrangements for Club Europe catering, introduced on Sunday 26 March 2017 and due to end on Tuesday 11 September 2018, based on 3 zones. A new Club Europe catering product is due to be launch on Wednesday 12 September 2018, and this is based on 4 bands. The main information piece - in terms of timings and the distance zones for the meals can be found in post 1. The following cross references the photos below against the matrix of options. In addition to the photos, some FTers have written extensively on their experiences so there is more to this thread than the pictures. Also note that there was an increase in food offered on some combinations shortly after the start-up, so the more recent photos may be the best place to start.The previous shorthaul catering guide, now locked but which had the previous 4 band system, is to be found here.

Numbers relate to the post number. Vegetarian means the alternative option provided as standard rather than the pre-ordered versions - which are VLML (Lacto-ovo), AVML (Asia) and VGML (Vegan) . There are differences between the offering in/out of LHR, LGW, LCY+STN. Last update: 833
-------------------------
Note posts before 1-832 are typically the April 2017 menu. 833 and above is from the menu for May 2017.
----
Chef's Chat sheets for:
CE LHR Summer 2017 - Rotation A
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28338151-post954.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28339641-post958.html

Short Band (UK, France, Ireland, BeNeLux, Germany)
Breakfast: 279, 570 (vegetarian), 629, 674, 821 (Express breakfast for MAN and LBA), 1343 (Vegan), 2285 (Express for LBA and MAN), 2445

Brunch: 180, 289, 469, 563, 685, 716, 2625 (AVML)

Lunch: 207, 545 (diabetic), 644 (first photo), 680 (VLML), 802, 928, 1322 (Kosher), 2284

Afternoon tea: 339, 404 (vegetarian), 480, 600 (VLML), 710 (including low lactose), 800, 882 (gluten free), 1281, 1322 (Kosher), 1673, 2679 (Kosher), 2792

Dinner: 563, 630 (VGML), 669 (Kosher Passover), 771 (VGML LCY) 799, 819 (AVML), 833 (May 2017 menu), 1283, 1287, 1674, 2446, 2616 (Kosher), 2793

Comments on difference between AVML and VLML here.
-----
Medium Band (e.g. Madrid, Nice, Prague, Copenhagen)
Breakfast: 645 (vegetarian), 724 (vegetarian), 1003

Brunch: 199 (VLML), 600 (VLML), 659 (Kosher Passover)

Lunch: 239 (child), 251, 425, 641, 733

Afternoon tea: 332 (also includes vegetarian), 426 (GFML), 813 (Muslim)

Dinner: 456, 551 (also includes VLML), 666, 1004,
-----
Long Band (e.g. Lisbon, Rome, Warsaw, Stockholm).

Breakfast: 195 (vegetarian)

Rest of the day: 306 (LFML), 345, 427, 443, 468, 597, 676, 687, 695, 783 (VLML)
======
NOT MAINTAINED AND OUT OF DATE: The complete Short Haul meal structure for the longer flights as of October 2017 is:

LHR
Meal 1: Chicken / red pepper risotto
Meal 2: Beef cheek
Meal 3: Chicken supreme / gnocchi
Meal 4: Miso glazed cod
Meal 5: Chicken khao soi
Meal 6: Hot smoked salmon linguine

LGW
Meal 1: Thyme roasted chicken
Meal 2: Spicy corn and paneer masala
Meal 3: Thai Penang chicken curry
Meal 4: Roasted red pepper tortellini
Meal 5: Beef and mushroom caserole
Meal 6: Tomato and four cheeses tortellini

Structured into:

Rotation A
LHR outbound
Meal 3
Meal 4
inbound to LHR
Meal 5
Meal 6

Rotation B
LHR outbound
Meal 5
Meal 6
inbound to LHR
Meal 1
Meal 2

Rotation C
LHR outbound
Meal 1
Meal 2
inbound to LHR
Meal 3
Meal 4
===
October 2017 = Rotation C
November 2017 = Rotation A
December 2017 = Rotation B
January 2018 = Rotation C
etc
Print Wikipost

Club Europe catering guide

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
i get the impression that the majority of CE flights are for work purposes and not leisure. Given that situation, BA will try and get away with the absolute minimum as they've got a captive audience.

I wonder what would happen if businesses on mass changed policies to fly Y/HBO in Europe, whilst giving employees a no questions asked flight food and drink allowance...
​​​​​​
On the contrary, most companies these days have a Y travel policy for shorthaul flights; 6 hours is a common cutoff point.

CE is valuable to BA as part of the connecting premium passenger (both business and leisure) offering, to encourage passengers on the continent to connect through LHR onto longhaul services.

CE point to point traffic is largely leisure.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Genius1
CE is valuable to BA as part of the connecting premium passenger (both business and leisure) offering, to encourage passengers on the continent to connect through LHR onto longhaul services.

I think that the first point in particular is exactly right. The majority of CE traffic is connecting.

Then, there are a few exceptions on certain routes which also have a relatively strong O/D CE traffic such as NCE, GVA, BRU, FRA, ZRH in addition to strong connecting traffic in all those cases. All the above are mix of business and leisure or in some cases (BRU, FRA, ZRH) mostly business.

Finally, there are a few routes which seem to be mostly O/D CE and mostly leisure (RAK, DBV, some Greek islands).

My sense is that the pure O/D routes tend to have little business class competition so there, BA is mostly trying to encourage upselling. By contrast, where there is a strong connecting traffic (be it only connecting or mixed) BA might face bigger overall external competition IMHO and that becomes a very different game.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Genius1
On the contrary, most companies these days have a Y travel policy for shorthaul flights; 6 hours is a common cutoff point.

It actually varies from route to route, on many routes, the CE cabin is full of point to point business people and on others it has customers on holiday.
Most business routes, like commercial or financial capitals, are full of point to point business people and very little leisure or people on connecting sectors.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
?.I'm very inexperienced in the hows and whys of choosing CE, but i get the impression that the majority of CE flights are for work purposes and not leisure. Given that situation, BA will try and get away with the absolute minimum as they've got a captive audience...
Not true in my experience. I always [used to] travel CE for leiseure. And, I know a lot of other people did too.

The shine started to fall from CE with the cut in legroom. But now with the food and drink changes on the short and mid flights, I'm now starting to consider ET instead...
Old May 7, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: ba lifetime gold, MAS gold, hhonors gold
definately better on domestic and band 4

just did glasgow to Santorini via heathrow in CE. It was an excellent experience. The food was good and the alcohol flowed appropriately. Even on the short hop to and from glasgow the front cabin was peaceful and row 1 was fine for legroom with no problem stowing stuff in the overhead locker. Don't know about value for money but that is a very subjective issue.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Gosh, that tomato mozzarella seems to have further reduced in size compared to the introductory version! This looks really quite silly.
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Utterly disgraceful. How can that be called a meal?
I perhaps should have disclaimed that she had already nibbled on the closest piece of mozzarella and perhaps eaten a piece of tomato. It wasn't Alex Cruz nibbling away this time!
Old May 8, 2017, 6:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
BA1391, lunchtime MAN-LHR, 6 rows CE and 2 cabin crews. Salad was small, sandwich very dry and bland, basically inedible. OH had VLML, small as well. Cabin crew was very busy throughout, a third cabin crew member helped clear the trays at '10 minutes to landing'.

windows screenshot
Old May 8, 2017, 6:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by florens
BA1391, lunchtime MAN-LHR, 6 rows CE and 2 cabin crews. Salad was small, sandwich very dry and bland, basically inedible. OH had VLML, small as well. Cabin crew was very busy throughout, a third cabin crew member helped clear the trays at '10 minutes to landing'.
The MAN sectors are always busy for the crew. The sandwich does look dry, what was in it?

How did you find the duck? I'm regular on this sector and find the catering just about right for the short hop. I would of course be very unhappy to get that meal on an old band 2/3 sector though.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The MAN sectors are always busy for the crew. The sandwich does look dry, what was in it?

How did you find the duck? I'm regular on this sector and find the catering just about right for the short hop. I would of course be very unhappy to get that meal on an old band 2/3 sector though.
Tomato and chicken...

That was duck? OMG. It tasted like smoked ham...
Old May 8, 2017, 6:42 am

I don't know #florens - I've not had the lunch yet. From your photograph it could be either! I hope it was tasty though.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I don't know #florens - I've not had the lunch yet. From your photograph it could be either! I hope it was tasty though.
It was tasty. Certainly prefer it to the sandwich. Now I am curious about the Afternoon Tea on BA716 down to ZRH in the 767.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:47 am

It was tasty. Certainly prefer it to the sandwich. Now I am curious about the Afternoon Tea on BA716 down to ZRH in the 767.
Mmm? I'd opt for the ploughmans - although again that is not substantial either, perfect for MAN not so much for ZRH. The blue cheese is rather nice.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That was duck? OMG. It tasted like smoked ham...
The official description is "Smoked duck breast on Waldorf salad".
Old May 8, 2017, 9:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

So on the 716 service down to ZRH I overheard one other CE pax complaining about the current afternoon tea offering. The cabin crew in charge told me that scones might come back, since there have been quite a lot of complaints about the offering. Of course this information should be treated as a rumor.

She also told me that any complaints should be directed to the BAEC, that this would be most effective. Any feedback given to the cabin crew will not really be listened to unfortunately. The cabin crew do completely agree with all these complaints.

This is the afternoon tea and its vegetarian counterpart. Hardly a meal, really.

how to take screenshots
Old May 8, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How did you find the duck?
I recognize this plate: the duck was the starter on my flight from HEL yesterday.

It tasted okay to me, a bit tough perhaps, but worse things happen at sea [and at least I wasn't on an 850 EUR walk up Y fare like some of the do participants ... ].

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.