Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by londonba2014
Just looking on the BA site, found this at the bottom of the menu page which I was thought was quite interesting.

* Flights arriving into London Heathrow or London Gatwick on 11 January that depart at or before 08.45 local time (except BA1439 from Edinburgh) will be catered with our current complimentary food and drinks.
With that in mind, is anyone planning on taking a flight just to get the last free drinks/food to mark the end of the service? Maybe a domestic with a final hot breakfast and drink...
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
With that in mind, is anyone planning on taking a flight just to get the last free drinks/food to mark the end of the service? Maybe a domestic with a final hot breakfast and drink...
I'm sure many of us will be taking SH flights before, on and after the fabled 11th January. Certainly, my last catered flight will be on the 10th January, with my first experiencing BOB will be on the 13th January. I think 2 days into the debacle will provide some interesting experiences, but I do pity the crews who will undoubtedly take the heat on this one.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I'm sure many of us will be taking SH flights before, on and after the fabled 11th January. Certainly, my last catered flight will be on the 10th January, with my first experiencing BOB will be on the 13th January. I think 2 days into the debacle will provide some interesting experiences, but I do pity the crews who will undoubtedly take the heat on this one.
Don't feel sorry for them! They are making money from the sales!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Not me. In fact, I had a flight booked on 3/1 and another on 9/1 but they are both part of BA flights that I cancelled in coming months (I kept some others where BA was the most convenient choice for my purposes or cancelling would have been punishing).
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Don't feel sorry for them! They are making money from the sales!
They are only making commission as a way of 'getting the troops to fall into line' - if BA did not have to pay this, and keep it as an additional source of margin, I am sure that many of us would expect them to do so.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
+1! I would certainly do too! (admittedly even more in my case because I deal with a travel budget so value for money is imperative, but even on rare occasions where ticket is paid by others, I apply the exact same criteria and would never choose an option that I could not convincingly justify to myself. Other people's money does not magically grow in the ground either
I could never justify paying Emirates First JFK - DXB but if my employer wants to pay for it I am not going to turn them down.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
To be honest, from BRU I'm surprised that you have waited that long, the AF service from the city centre Brussels Midi to CDG in 1st class coach for all pax and with free wifi is vastly preferable to a plane connection IMHO!
AF does not always work well from trips down to JNB or CPT. First BA lands at 07:15 while AF lands at 10:00. That's less working time in JNB.

I tried to keep a balance between Skyteam and Oneworld so as to have lounge access whenever I fly with a preference for Oneworld.

BA had the edge with EC, cabin crew, T5 and the overall service (G&T). But now AF and KL are way ahead of BA all around.

Mind you, I expense my BOB but then looking at the menu it is not appealing to me. And a a frequent traveler having to worry about paying and whether they will make it to my row with my choice of food being available makes the experience bad.

I have a trip to JFK on the 20th. I will see how the experience will be. I will have reached silver by then (8 months in advance). I can then focus my trips with AF and try to be Platinum.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
Sorry but did anyone had a close look at these prices... 1,80 GBP for a coke, 2.30GBP for a coffee and even more difficult to give change 4, 75 for a sandwich..
Sure flight attendant have no cash back soon or will accept just credit anytime soon....
The worlds favorite airline.Will avoid this airline for sure
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC GfL, currently GGL
Originally Posted by splflyer
Sorry but did anyone had a close look at these prices... 1,80 GBP for a coke, 2.30GBP for a coffee and even more difficult to give change 4, 75 for a sandwich..
Sure flight attendant have no cash back soon or will accept just credit anytime soon....
Per the announcement, cash payments will not be accepted.

I wonder who will pick up the tab for the school/sports team/orchestra tour groups where nobody has a credit/debit card?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by furryman

I wonder who will pick up the tab for the school/sports team/orchestra tour groups where nobody has a credit/debit card?
more to the point .. Who is legally obliged to provide drinkable ( not potable bug full liable to kill you ) water on long flights like svo and lca !!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Got a question,

Will the sizes of the soft drinks be upgraded from the current mini 0,15l to 0,33l or maybe even 0.5l?

£1.80 to me is steep for 0,15l, *somewhat* reasonable for 0,33l and OK for 0.5l.

And what size container will hot beverages come in?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by furryman

One of my concerns, I guess the leader of the group will pick up the tab and then have the cardless give cash to the leader.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by splflyer
No cash payments.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Got a question,

Will the sizes of the soft drinks be upgraded from the current mini 0,15l to 0,33l or maybe even 0.5l?

£1.80 to me is steep for 0,15l, *somewhat* reasonable for 0,33l and OK for 0.5l.

Hi,

From here,

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...|||||L2|||||||

It suggests Coke /Diet coke will be 330ml with fever tree @ 150ml

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Dec 29, 2016 at 12:47 pm
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Got a question,

It varies between drinks. Coca cola is 330ml for £1.80/225 Avios, as are most of the mainstream products of that ilk. Folkington's ginger ale, bitter lemon etc is £1.50/200 Avios for 150 ml. Highland Spring Water, still or sparkling is 500ml at £1.80/225 Avios. In between is Folkington's Elderflower Presse at £2.20/275 Avios for 250ml. So it really varies, but the good thing is that if fully stocked there are about 16 cold soft drink items, which is a big improvement. The tea, coffee and chocolate items are in imperial (is that allowed?), so 12 oz = 354ml. 7 items there, one decaf coffee, one peppermint tea for Guardian reading hipsters, and green tea too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.