TSA Precheck [BA participation]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Afraid not
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Definitas
Are UK citizens allowed to use Global Entry kiosks for entry into Canada (YYZ) ?
No as these are Nexus Kiosks and not GE kiosks but the normal machines are pretty quick now
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:23 am

Nexus or GE

Originally Posted by aidy
No as these are Nexus Kiosks and not GE kiosks but the normal machines are pretty quick now
The list of GE kiosk locations on the US immigration website lists Toronto (and Abu Dhabi amongst others outside the US) and says US citizens enrolled in GE can use them. Unfortunately, there is no info on UK citizens enrolled in the program using GE terminals in Canada
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:27 am

The list of GE kiosk locations on the US immigration website lists Toronto (and Abu Dhabi amongst others outside the US) and says US citizens enrolled in GE can use them. Unfortunately, there is no info on UK citizens enrolled in the program using GE terminals in Canada
The listing for YYZ is for the GE terminals in the US preclearance area not for arrival into Canada.

And yes - UK citizens can use them but you probably wont be able to use the GE security line as they insist on seeing the GE card (which we don't get).

In T3 that doesnt stop you using the machine after security though. Just follow the GE signs. Not sure about T1.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry

Your thinking about the US preclearance machines, flying to the US from Canada. Not to Canada.

and as MPH1980 correctly mentions, you can use the machines when clearing CBP to go to the US, but expect to use the normal security line, not the GE one (without a card)
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:46 am

Thanks for the help. That all makes sense. One last question about pre-clearance when flying from
Canada to the US. Have I understood correctly that we can use GE kiosks to facilitate no Arrival immigration procedures in the US (i.e. will we arrive in a domestic terminal?)
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Thanks for the help. That all makes sense. One last question about pre-clearance when flying from
Canada to the US. Have I understood correctly that we can use GE kiosks to facilitate no Arrival immigration procedures in the US (i.e. will we arrive in a domestic terminal?)
That is correct. I cannot say which terminal you will arrive into but you will be treated as a domestic arrival.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Have I understood correctly that we can use GE kiosks to facilitate no Arrival immigration procedures in the US (i.e. will we arrive in a domestic terminal?)
As noted above, this is "mostly" correct. You won't necessarily always arrive in the domestic terminal, but you won't have to go through immigration as you are already clerar. For example, EI from DUB to ORD has pre-clearance at DUB, but you still arrive at T5, they just let you out into the terminal like they would if you were on a domestic flight and then route you to baggage/ground transportation. I've been in a similar situation on pre-clearance flights that land at the SFO intl terminal as well.

Might seem a bit pedantic, but at least in the ORD example, assuming you'll arrive in the domestic terminal and then actually arriving at the international terminal is a big difference.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Last week BA202 BOS to LHR worked a treat. TSA Pre line shoes on, laptops in bag and liquids in bag. 5 min wait max Happy days.

Also flying to YYZ last Monday, no GE into Canada but when leaving I was able to use the GE machines in the pre clearance area after the BP and passport check line which was a huge saving as there looked like a 1.5-2hr queue on Wed morning for the regular customs kiosks.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by cutting42
Last week BA202 BOS to LHR worked a treat. TSA Pre line shoes on, laptops in bag and liquids in bag. 5 min wait max Happy days.
I used TSA Pre at Las Vegas on Thursday night and it was incredibly easy and quick. Much quicker than even being in the First Class line there. This is one benefit of GE I was pretty sure I would never get to use, so BA joining is a really good move.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:52 pm

Flying YYZ - ORD

Originally Posted by cutting42

Also flying to YYZ last Monday, no GE into Canada but when leaving I was able to use the GE machines in the pre clearance area after the BP and passport check line which was a huge saving as there looked like a 1.5-2hr queue on Wed morning for the regular customs kiosks.
This is something we were unaware of. We are flying next month from LHR toYYZ then a week later onwards to ORD and didn't realise until today that you have to do the equivalent of US immigration at YYZ before departure. We do have GE so should be able to use the kiosks but would appreciate an idea of how long we should allow for the whole security/immigration process at YYZ (for arrival and departure). Many thanks for any advice

Last edited by Definitas; Jul 24, 2018 at 12:55 pm Reason: correct an error
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
didn't realise until today that you have to do the equivalent of US immigration at YYZ before departure
It's not the equivalent of US immigration, it IS US immigration with DHS CBP officers.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
This is something we were unaware of. We are flying next month from LHR toYYZ then a week later onwards to ORD and didn't realise until today that you have to do the equivalent of US immigration at YYZ before departure. We do have GE so should be able to use the kiosks but would appreciate an idea of how long we should allow for the whole security/immigration process at YYZ (for arrival and departure). Many thanks for any advice
Sorry late to reply.

It was pretty quick. As mentioned before you cannot use the GE security line if you don't have the physical GE card but I used the TSA Pre line which you should be fine for as well and the GE kiosks are on the left as you leave the security area with the regular manned Customs booths on the right if I recall correctly.Even with filtering through the huge queue for the manned booths it was just a minute or so. I guess I was through the whole two sections in under 10 mins.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
On a related topic, the lack of the card that US citizens get as part of GE can be a pain when go through the border crossing as I did when going from Vancouver to Seattle to get my flight home to the UK. I had flown into Seattle and then travelled by land to Canada. When I took the GE line at the border I was told I had to go for a secondary inspection which meant waiting in line for about 30 minutes. The officer dealing with me was clearly not fully up to date with the process of letting us Brits have GE, for one he could not understand why I did not have a card and secondly, he could not understand why I had not had my passport stamped on arrival at SEA. I managed to keep calm and finally he went to consult with some of his colleagues who quickly told him I had done nothing wrong and should be allowed to proceed. I was very relieved, so much so that I didn’t bother to point out he did not apologise for the hassle he had put me through.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
The requirement of a physical GE seems to be unique to a couple of Canadian airports, especially YYZ. Most US airports do not expect or ask for GE card. I used GE pre-clearance in DUB in Jun and they were similarly uninterested in a physical GE card, which is good because I never keep it with me.

I believe there is even a thread on this issue at YYZ somewhere on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.