Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Precheck [BA participation]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
TSA Precheck [BA participation]

Lufthansa have announced they are the first European airlines to offer TSA Precheck. Can BA be far behind?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by rembrandtuk
Lufthansa have announced they are the first European airlines to offer TSA Precheck. Can BA be far behind?
LOL. I think we all know the answer is 'yes ... They can be far behind'
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Interesting news, at my recent GE interview I was told there was no chance of European airlines being included in the scheme.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A front line CBP Officer would not have a clue about this. In fact, DHS very much wants EU carriers to contribute their data, but data protection and related privacy concerns have been a barrier to date.

It will be a significant benefit for LH passengers and it is particularly natural for UK nationals who are GE-eligible to access PreCheck on BA. I presume that VS will follow soon enough, and then the rest of the EU carriers.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Fair point re CBP although data protection laws were cited as a reason when I asked.

I would however suggest that with all the goings on with BA, it is becoming more natural not to use BA, especially for those of us in the regions, and simply take advantage of LH's PreCheck facilities.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Data protection is data protection. At least so long as the UK is still a Member State. And even then, who knows. Given the data which the passenger shares with DHS (CBP) in order to obtain GE, I'm not certain that the data the air carrier shares about the passenger, also with the passenger's permission, is particularly more significant. Clearly LH doesn't think so.

Pressure from UK high-value customers who can use their GE to access Pre-Check when flying AA back to the UK will become pretty hefty. It's not just the length of the line, but the very limited scope of the TSA search (no shoes and jackets removed, no need to remove laptop or 3-1-1 bag, no MMW) that really attracts people.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
This, and the continued absence of wifi, are making BA loyalty hard at the moment.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given what GCHQ get up to citing data protection for BA not joining is rather funny! I suspect BA can't see any value in the integration work so it will be well down the list.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I actually have a feeling that BA aren't all that far away from supporting Pre check. If you travel on an AA codeshare on BA and your KTN is in the AA booking, BA tickets are now sometimes getting the unsigned 3 long beeps at TSA checkpoints. This is exactly what was happening with Qatar just before they started to support pre check.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
BA wondering,"What is TSA Pre-Check"?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rembrandtuk
I'm expecting it well within 18 months.

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Fair point re CBP although data protection laws were cited as a reason when I asked.
Excuses, when LH could pull it off.

Even the US equivalent of Europe's Ryanair is on the path to pull it off. BA can't be too far behind.

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Interesting news, at my recent GE interview I was told there was no chance of European airlines being included in the scheme.
Sounds like a clueless CBP employee. Others in CBP knew more.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 2, 2016 at 5:38 am
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Give it a year and things will be no better queue wise than they are now if they start opening up to all and sundry.
Sealink likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by wemyss
BA wondering,"What is TSA Pre-Check"?
I've taken 7 AA flights this last few weeks (a combination of JFK, LAX. LAS and MIA), 6 of them with BA codeshare numbers, on 6 of those flights I have been given TSA Pre the 1 exception was LAS-MIA on an AA prime number (fortunately there was no queue at security when we left on that trip).
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by xenole
Give it a year and things will be no better queue wise than they are now if they start opening up to all and sundry.
But the queue should move much more quickly with there being no shoes to take off, no liquids or laptops to take out and no jackets to take off.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I've taken 7 AA flights this last few weeks (a combination of JFK, LAX. LAS and MIA), 6 of them with BA codeshare numbers, on 6 of those flights I have been given TSA Pre the 1 exception was LAS-MIA on an AA prime number (fortunately there was no queue at security when we left on that trip).
You have Global Entry? So almost all times gives TSA Pre-Check
(Very useful on Wed at LAX...sailed through in minutes).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.