Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Precheck [BA participation]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 5:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by quemalo
My existing TA bookings have the KTN in there now, but I don't see any way to add it to my BAEC profile. Am I blind, or have they not added that functionality yet?
you can’t add it to your profile API form yet as there isn’t a field. However if you go in to MMB for a booking and edit the APIS information there is a field for your KTN so you can add it on an individual booking basis.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by quemalo
My existing TA bookings have the KTN in there now, but I don't see any way to add it to my BAEC profile. Am I blind, or have they not added that functionality yet?
Not blind. It is just that you have to use an older version of their website, located at boac.co.uk
Old May 17, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KARFA

you can’t add it to your profile API form yet as there isn’t a field. However if you go in to MMB for a booking and edit the APIS information there is a field for your KTN so you can add it on an individual booking basis.

I just tried and still don't have the field?
Old May 17, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Tried the 'pre' at IAD this evening - how much better!

IAD has always been a pain in the butt with regard to security (no priority line). You have to use the centre security (not the one closest to the BA check-in). Just ensure that you have all your metal bits in your bag, bag on belt and walk through the metal detector - a few seconds at most!
Old May 17, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by stargold
I would be interested to hear experiences on whether BA bookings with multiple passengers also "share" Precheck in the same way as the US airlines, i.e. if one passenger has Precheck, all the passengers on the PNR will get Precheck.
This is not correct with respect to how US Airlines administer pre-check. Minor children under the age of 13 travelling on the same PRN as a pre-check parent will automatically get pre-check for that journey, yes. But this is not true for older children or adults, even if they are on the same PRN as a pax with pre-check.

From TSA:
Children ages 12 and younger may use the TSA Pre✓® lane when traveling with a parent or guardian who has the indicator on their boarding pass. Travelers 13 and older who do not have a TSA Pre✓® boarding pass must go through standard security lanes or apply. Before applying, TSA recommends reviewing the various DHS trusted traveler programs, such as the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI, to determine the best program for your family.
In practice, I've typically (but not always) gotten pre-check for young children traveling with a pre-check parent even when our PRNs are separate. I've also had a TSA screener state that they extend pre-check to children without any regard to PRNs or what the boarding pass says, but only as long as the children have the same last name as the pre-checked adult. (He made this up as far as I can tell -- I've never seen the "same last name" criterion in anything official, and for good reason, as it's a pretty terrible determinant of whether a child is part of the family.) I've never seen an adult pax get the benefit of someone else's pre-check (though admittedly I haven't attempted this one). My kids are still obviously well under 13 years of age, so I can't speak to how it works in practice with teens.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I just tried and still don't have the field?
I can confirm that pre-check shows up on my boarding pass for my flight out of BOS tomorrow. I added my KTN today on the “manage my booking” page and then changing my API. I checked in for my flight out of BOS just now and my boarding pass shows that I qualified for Pre-Check[/left]

Last edited by ShamRockSteady; May 18, 2018 at 11:52 am
Old May 17, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott GfL
I just logged in as had "TSA PRECHECK" on my boarding pass too. Interesting as even though I have Global Entry I just got a new passport and as far as I am aware I have not entered my Known Traveller Number on the BA website - I wonder if they got it from AA bookings I have made with my BAEC number....

I also see a section in the API form that prompts for it (as a US BAEC member)

Old May 17, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
My experience is that same record passenger will get precheck more often than not, but it's by no means guaranteed.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Ruthalaska
This is not correct with respect to how US Airlines administer pre-check. Minor children under the age of 13 travelling on the same PRN as a pre-check parent will automatically get pre-check for that journey, yes. But this is not true for older children or adults, even if they are on the same PRN as a pax with pre-check.

From TSA:

In practice, I've typically (but not always) gotten pre-check for young children traveling with a pre-check parent even when our PRNs are separate. I've also had a TSA screener state that they extend pre-check to children without any regard to PRNs or what the boarding pass says, but only as long as the children have the same last name as the pre-checked adult. (He made this up as far as I can tell -- I've never seen the "same last name" criterion in anything official, and for good reason, as it's a pretty terrible determinant of whether a child is part of the family.) I've never seen an adult pax get the benefit of someone else's pre-check (though admittedly I haven't attempted this one). My kids are still obviously well under 13 years of age, so I can't speak to how it works in practice with teens.
Children under 13 can accompany even if not on the same booking. That’s effectively what your TSA website quote is saying, because in in every instance I have had non-Pre companions on the same PNR, they have received Pre designation. If their BP is marked Pre, then your TSA website quote ceases to apply.

I realise there are no published rules which state they must receive it, but that’s how TSA decided to implement in practice. It might change in the future, but that’s how it works (at least for me) for now.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
@ShamRockSteady, I'd be careful about posting boarding pass barcodes online, as they contain quite a lot of information,
ShamRockSteady likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
So I flew JFK->LHR on Saturday (BAEC Gold, GE and thus TSA Pre, J class). Here are the highlights (sic):
  • Mobile boarding passes don't support TSA Pre yet, so you either need to print your own (which I forgot to do) or get an agent to print one out, which involves queuing. The queue at First checkin is longer than Club World, but I didn't realise that until I'd stood there for a while behind some DYKWIA entitled gentlemen being patiently told no, he couldn't swap seats, no he couldn't have the upper deck etc. about 9 times because the flight was full and oddly asking the remaining 8 times did not free a seat up.
  • You then get to queue in the long line to go through the CW/First security. If you are actually flying first (as opposed to being entitled to use First check in) you get to skip the queue. The queue took 20+ minutes. This is par for the course for JFK but pretty rubbish. I'm hoping the terminal refit fixes this.
  • When you get to the front of the queue you get to proudly present your TSA Pre boarding pass, which gets stamped. You then get told they don't have a TSA Pre line. So you can use the normal lines, but leave your shoes on and leave your jacket on. Electronics still have to come out. Liquids still have to come out. Just show your boarding pass to the people at the scanner.
  • The people at the scanner then tell you you have to take your jacket off anyway. So the only advantage of TSE Pre is ... you don't have to take your shoes off. No shorter line, no faster screening, just the shoes.
Of course then the terminal is packed, the Gold lounge is closed for refurbishment, and the dining area in the lounge is unbearably hot. And the flat bed seat on my completely full flight did not go flat due to brokenness (which I will admit the crew valiantly spent half an hour trying to fix). So not the best BA experience ever.

But returning to TSA Pre: I wouldn't bother at JFK.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by KARFA
how does it work then? the agent checking your passport gives you something or you show your bp to the agent at the scanner?
Passing through my local SW Florida airport a few days ago where TSA Pre just merged to the front of the main queue, the agent gives you a big yellow plasticated card that you hand to the executive running the scanner. This clearly identifies me as a ‘shoe-on’ traveller.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for the screen shot (which proves that BA knows they will have to do some more work on the App). If you got your boarding pass you won't be SSSS. But that may be the next thing to find out, whether leaving LHR on BA and with Global Entry, are you spared SSSS?
Flying UA last week into EWR, I can confirm the GE does not spare you from the occasional SSSS. No big deal, however, simply a swab of bag and on I went.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Wouldn’t JFK T7 premium uphill ramp be a large majority of BA passengers and therefore have the pre now? Does this mean the CW and F desks will be far busier with passengers getting their BP printed manually?! You could almost do with the agent at the front of the premium ramp printing paper BPs.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Must adit I am not sure if I have entered my KTN correctly for an upcoming trip to Phoenix, would the BA website spot an incorrect KTN?

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.